Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G5 34 striker spring weights and primer reliability

nick779

Is there some sort of established guideline as to what power spring I need to light off certain primers with a stock striker in this gun? I have a TTI GM kit on the way and am really just looking for a minor pull weight reduction without sacrificing reliability with CCI and maybe some Winchesters. After doing some reading I feel like im a bit spoiled since my P10C will light off anything with a 3# spring.

I have limited Glock knowledge, so if the striker assembly is the same across the 34, 17 and 19 or whatever, please feel free to let me know.

Im assuming I cant go lower than 4.5# from what im hearing but id like some feedback.

Edited by nick779

For CCI stick with 4.5 pounds. I’ve had multiple glocks with very clean 3.5lb triggers with that spring weight. They ate everything with a stock striker.

A good minus connector, lightened safety plunger spring, 4.5# striker spring, and agressive polishing are all I do to Glocks anymore.

Still boringly reliable, and easy to shoot with a pull well under 4 pounds.

I used to do $200 trigger kits from Vanek or the GlockWizardSuperWorks shop of the week, but it’s just not any improvement on the above (with a little practice) on match day.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Glocks can be different between the same model guns. So you really have to try different rates to be sure. You should have no trouble with a 5. I have run a 4.5 for years with no trouble with a stock striker, so that should work also. These are with all the major primer manufacturers., CCI, Federal, Winchester and S&B. I have a gen3 in 17&34. I even ran a 4 with a stock striker with federal primers for a while with no problems.

Stock striker in all my glocks with TTI kit, which is a 4.5 lb striker spring. Ultra reliable with Winchester. Haven't shot much cci but it was fully reliable when I did. I change out the striker spring every 5k rounds or so to keep it reliable with cci. I do remember having a very worn spring having couple light strikes with cci.

I did a google search for extended/lightened gen 5 strikers last night.

I came up with a few but they were all out of stock.  Is there a preferred aftermarket striker solution?

I believe i found the DK, Glockstore and one other whose name escapes me right now.

My gen 5 17 and 34 had ignition problems with the 4.5# wolff. Once I lightened the strikers. The 4 & 4.5# wolff were gtg. I like the feel of the break and reset better with the 4.5. Trigger pull is right around 3-3.25# with the 4.5. And sub 3 with the 4#. The 4# I've tested with cci, win, and s&b primers. 100% reliable.

I do load with a mark 7 evo and I seat the primers deep. Which helps ignition

On 4/15/2019 at 11:34 AM, nick779 said:

Is there some sort of established guideline as to what power spring I need to light off certain primers with a stock striker in this gun? I have a TTI GM kit on the way and am really just looking for a minor pull weight reduction without sacrificing reliability with CCI and maybe some Winchesters. After doing some reading I feel like im a bit spoiled since my P10C will light off anything with a 3# spring.

I have limited Glock knowledge, so if the striker assembly is the same across the 34, 17 and 19 or whatever, please feel free to let me know.

Im assuming I cant go lower than 4.5# from what im hearing but id like some feedback.

I would stay stock on the striker. I tried a popular lightened striker that gets stellar reviews and it was a nightmare. I had consistent light strikes even with a 5lb spring and the tip completely broke off within 1,500 rounds. I would listen to Memphis on this, he tends to give pretty solid advice. 

On 4/16/2019 at 7:52 AM, wtturn said:

Aftermarket strikers are a waste of money.

Use the OEM striker, Wolff 4.5# striker spring, and never have to worry about it again.

Listen to the GM who just won Battle in The Bluegrass. This is the way to go.

You don’t need to do more than a 4.5 striker spring, a minus connector, a striker block spring, 13lb recoil spring, and a good set of sights.

Stop spending money at that point. Polish her up inside, get some grip tape on her, and keep it just like that. It’s done.

@wtturn is a good example of a pretty good sizes number of M/GM Glock shooters I’ve talked to who run a nearly stock gun like this. There’s a reason why.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:52 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

For CCI stick with 4.5 pounds. I’ve had multiple glocks with very clean 3.5lb triggers with that spring weight. They ate everything with a stock striker.

A good minus connector, lightened safety plunger spring, 4.5# striker spring, and agressive polishing are all I do to Glocks anymore.

Still boringly reliable, and easy to shoot with a pull well under 4 pounds.

I used to do $200 trigger kits from Vanek or the GlockWizardSuperWorks shop of the week, but it’s just not any improvement on the above (with a little practice) on match day.

This

On 4/16/2019 at 5:52 AM, wtturn said:

Use the OEM striker, Wolff 4.5# striker spring, and never have to worry about it again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

And this

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You don’t need to do more than a 4.5 striker spring, a minus connector, a striker block spring, 13lb recoil spring, and a good set of sights.

Stop spending money at that point. Polish her up inside, get some grip tape on her, and keep it just like that. It’s done.

@wtturn is a good example of a pretty good sizes number of M/GM Glock shooters I’ve talked to who run a nearly stock gun like this. There’s a reason why.

And also this 

21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Is there a go-to grip tape?

24 minutes ago, nick779 said:

Personally I like to cut my own. I use one of the high end skateboard products when doing grip tape on a gun, like Mob or Black Angel or similar. I just buy a sheet off amazon sized for a skateboard deck. 

Black Angel 33" x 9" Premium Skateboard Grip Tape, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728HRR21/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RBhUCbM285RKT

That said? I do epoxy and silicon-carbide grit if I have the time. Grippier, and never wears off.

Grip tape? Wipe the gun down with acetone then wear gloves while peeling the backing off, handling the gun, and warm the gun and the tape up with a heat gun or hair drier as you install it.

That said? I do epoxy and silicon-carbide grit if I have the time. Grippier, and never wears off.

True.

I really like an aggressive glue and grit job.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:52 AM, wtturn said:

Terrible info. He's obviously new. 

You want a Ghost 4.5# spring. YYUUUUGE difference. 

10 hours ago, nick779 said:

If you grip hard, grip tape is gonna move. A warm day and some practice, it'll slide right off!

I've tired every trick for prep and it's never worked.  I've tried multiple times in multiple guns. You'll get guys telling you it won't if you prep it right but it will. If you grip like you're supposed to. 

Silcon Carbide is awesome!