Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnet on belt in CO

Sandbagger123

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Seems almost clear.😎 Nothing in the rules say appendicies apply during COF. And even worse DNROI says “most” not all applies to COF. So still a goat rope for those who lean on the rules

1. 6.2.5.1  However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared handgun Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division... (Underline is my emphasis)

Edited by Mcfoto

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

1. 6.2.5.1  However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared handgun Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division... (Underline is my emphasis)

I’m not rehashing this whole thing again but the appendix says not retained through magnetic means. Period. Not during COF etc. Now DNROI SAYS “most” things in appendix pertain to during COF. And this is just an opinion currently and not a ruling so does it even matter?

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

I’m not rehashing this whole thing again but the appendix says not retained through magnetic means. Period. Not during COF etc. Now DNROI SAYS “most” things in appendix pertain to during COF. And this is just an opinion currently and not a ruling so does it even matter?

Well, we're only at four pages. I'm sure we can get to 8 if we try... 😜

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

the appendix does say that, but the rules don't appear to address not satisfying the equipment requirements outside of the COF. 

The most literal reading of the rules is that you are not allowed to use the magnet anytime, but there is no penalty for using it unless you do so during the COF.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

the appendix does say that, but the rules don't appear to address not satisfying the equipment requirements outside of the COF. 

The most literal reading of the rules is that you are not allowed to use the magnet anytime, but there is no penalty for using it unless you do so during the COF.

Right. I recall a question on my last re-cert test that gave the scenario where you noticed the on-deck shooter had a non-compliant hanger that made the top-of-grip too low. The correct answer was to tell them to fix the situation before they shot (without penalty if they corrected it).

Email from USPSA today "news letter" etc

Troy actually addresses this.

Seems like if it's behind the hip for those divisions and not used from Make ready to Range is clear it's Ok.

Most of y'all probably got the same email 

The most critical part of the letter to me is the following:

Same thing applies when clearing the gun–you may not go to the magnet with a magazine until after Range is Clear.

So the shooter is safe as long as they do not immediately stick the magazine to the magnet during the "Unload And Show Clear" portion of the commands.  Doing so is a bump to open.  I would not have a magnet on my belt just for this reason.  A simple mental lapse at the end of the stage could lead to a bump.

With the clarification, it’s still obviously not worth the risk of getting bumped to Open, especially since the magnet still has to be behind the hip bone anyway, so it’s not like you’re just leaving it on there from your Limited or Open rig. 

Here’s a few dumb ways you could get bumped to Open:

-Screw up and put a mag on during your make ready process or at unload and show clear. 

-Leave the mag on the magnet as you walk towards the start position, and not get it off the magnet before the RO says make ready. 

-Incorrectly think you heard range is clear, and put a mag on the magnet too soon 

-Have a mag at any point fall and stick to the mag, either fumbled, bumped off a table, etc., bumped out of your pouches, or empty.

-Forget during the COF that you’re shooting Production, fall back on what you would do for another division, and stick a mag to the magnet when you mean to stuff it into a pouch.