Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer tube assembly.

So I wore out my last little blue tip for the primer tube on my 1050, since I couldn’t find any locally I tried the assembly from my 650 with the brass tip and finished up the last few hundred rounds I needed to load and it worked perfectly. Any reason to go back to using the other one?

The general consensus that I have see, from those that have been reloading a lot more that I, recommend to NOT use the brass tip on a 1050.  If you do, you are setting yourself up for a primer stack detonation.  The blue primer tips are designed to be  usable commodity and replace fairly often, to prevent this from happening.

A jammed primer pulled back under the primer tube in a 1050 should break the blue tip and avoid a detonation of the column of primers, so it is a key safety item. The inflexible brass tip from the 650 could supply enough resistance to detonate a jammed primer. Not worth the risk to save a few cents.

A simpler long term fix is to work out why primers are damaging the blue tip. For me, I replaced the white retaining tab with a bent retaining wire to hold the case in place at the priming station and I have experienced zero primer misfeeds since the change. Everyone told me the tab had no relationship to jams, to look at alignment, to use shims,  etc. Then Dillon moves to a spring wire instead of a retaining tab on the new presses. Like minds.