Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between USPSA & IDPA

262alcante

There are too many to go into all of them.  The biggest differences are that IDPA is based on concealment, while USPSA is based on open holsters.  IDPA has smaller courses and more reloads due to magazine limits for all divisions, while USPSA is based off the division being shot whether you are loading 8 or 20+ rounds in a magazine.  

Check https://www.idpa.com/idpa-matches/idpa-match-rules/  for IDPA and https://uspsa.org/documents/rules/2019_USPSA_Competition_Rules.pdf for the USPSA rules.

To me it boils down to IDPA mostly requires that you shoot abc targets from 1st position, def from second position, etc., etc.  USPSA says shoot the targets as they become visible. You figure out what to shoot from where.

It sounds like you are transitioning from IDPA to USPSA. If so, you don't NEED anything except enough magazines to carry at least 32 rounds (more is better). Come to the match of your choice and shoot with what you already own. If you are bewildered by the division rules, just sign up for Open... you ain't winning the Chevy Truck in your first match. Spend money cautiously as you determine the direction you want to go.

7 hours ago, 262alcante said:

Thanks guys.So I need a few more 17 round mags at least ,mag pouches etc.

You can shoot Production, where everyone shoots a 9mm with 10-round mags.

But, Limited, with your 17+ round mags is more fun and you don't have to think

about reloads as often.  (But, everyone else will have .40 calibers and 22 round mags)

For me, the big difference is that there are no rules about reloading - you can drop

your mag half full or empty, anyplace you want, anytime you want, and slip another

mag in without having to be behind cover.

And, it's a LOT more FUN.  

Before your first match, read the rules 2-3 times, and see the differences. 

Good luck with it     :) 

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You can shoot Production, where everyone shoots a 9mm with 10-round mags.

But, Limited, with your 17+ round mags is more fun and you don't have to think

about reloads as often.  (But, everyone else will have .40 calibers and 22 round mags)

For me, the big difference is that there are no rules about reloading - you can drop

your mag half full or empty, anyplace you want, anytime you want, and slip another

mag in without having to be behind cover.

And, it's a LOT more FUN.  

Before your first match, read the rules 2-3 times, and see the differences. 

Good luck with it     :) 

This^^^^^^^^^^^. And yes a LOT more fun. 

Your gun is not Production legal. The SAO variant of the CZ75 is legal in Open and Limited. While it's a great choice for IDPA ESP, it's not a great one for being competitive in USPSA Limited.
No trucks are awarded at level 1s. Shoot 9mm minor in limited and have fun. It's the Archer and not the arrow untill you get to the top and find an another archer at the same level as you.

14 hours ago, 262alcante said:

Can you tell me the difference between USPSA & IDPA eqpt,etc.I shoot a CZ 75B sao

Everyone jumped in with answers based on the limited amount of information you've given us and filled in the gaps with their own assumptions.

I'm going to try something different.  I'm going to ask you a few questions first, then provide my opinion once I understand your POV.

Do you currently shoot IDPA?  Do you currently shoot USPSA?  Do you currently shoot neither?

What do you want to do?

3 hours ago, PatJones said:
5 hours ago, MikeRussell said:
Your gun is not Production legal. The SAO variant of the CZ75 is legal in Open and Limited. While it's a great choice for IDPA ESP, it's not a great one for being competitive in USPSA Limited.

No trucks are awarded at level 1s. Shoot 9mm minor in limited and have fun. It's the Archer and not the arrow untill you get to the top and find an another archer at the same level as you.

Very true....but who wants a crappy arrow?

You need to read the IDPA Rule Book, IDPA is very strict on technique.  IDPA is scored using a time plus, and the cost of hitting outside of the center ring is more of a factor than in USPSA.  ESP (10 round limit) or CDP (8 round limit & higher PF) can be shot with a SAO firearm, your rig needs to be covered by something like a jacket.  The COF's are 18 rounds or less, there are limits on distance and difficulty of target in IDPA.  

USPSA has no restriction on safe techniques and has a bit wider variety of options for firearms (Open is as it says wide open), a SAO would be in Limited (mag length restriction usually can go up to 20+ rounds) or Limited 10 (mag can hold only 10 rounds).  Score is points / time, so you can lose a few points fast enough to balance out.  No concealment gear needed, but some Divisions limit placement of gear.

2 hours ago, egd5 said:

pskys2, what do you mean by "no restriction on safe techniques'?

I think he means to contrast the "engage all targets as they become visible" USPSA freestyle versus the IDPA "from P1 engage T1 through T4 in tactical priority" type of stuff

OK, that's fine, I agree with that. It kinda sounded like something else at first, like uspsa wasn't safe. That as my point earlier also.

Edited by egd5

On 4/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, 262alcante said:

Can you tell me the difference between USPSA & IDPA eqpt,etc.I shoot a CZ 75B sao

11 hours ago, elguapo said:

Everyone jumped in with answers based on the limited amount of information you've given us and filled in the gaps with their own assumptions.

I'm going to try something different.  I'm going to ask you a few questions first, then provide my opinion once I understand your POV.

Do you currently shoot IDPA?  Do you currently shoot USPSA?  Do you currently shoot neither?

What do you want to do?

OP, do you mind answering a few questions so that we know just what you're talking about?

Otherwise this thread will circle the drain with assumptions and sidetracks.

I get asked this all the time, I always start with,  it's like the difference between baseball and softball, same basic game with a few different rules and tools. then I talk about the free style verses tactical.

Edited by fishhunter3

I get asked this all the time, I always start with,  it's like the difference between baseball and softball, same basic game with a few different rules and tools. then I talk about the free style verses tactical.

You tell than about the tiger teams?