Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more slideride... away then back again!?

vgdvc

Hello open shooters. So being new to open when I purchased my used open pistol it had a Cmore slideride on an offset mount. I decided against having the offset mount as ejection was not a problem with a centered mount and there would be one less thing for my index, visual, Etc to get used to coming from Limited division. Since I was going to change the mount I figured I might as well go with what seemed to be the trend and get a smaller optic in which I purchased a Romeo 3. Long story short the Romeo 3 seems to be a smaller dot than I would like and not quite as bright either. The Cmore slide ride sits atop a PCC and has proved to be a very useful dot site in various conditions. So my question is since I never really gave it a chance on a pistol has anyone gone away from a cmore slide ride only to come back to it after trying other options? And while we're at it does anyone have an opinion of polymer body versus aluminum? Thanks in advance.

I've gone to DeltaPoint Pro 2.5s for all my USPSA and SCSA competition guns.  I shot a Slideride for two years and never really cared for it.  There is still one on one of my Open guns.  If I decide to keep the gun it will come off and a DPP will go on.

Started with a slide ride, now both my match and backup gun are wearing Romeo 3 love them way bettet than the cmore! I may"upgrade"to the Romeo 3 max when it is available, on my match gun.  Never had a brightness issue with either of mine

Hello: Lots of open shooters have gone back to the C-More slide rides. They just seem to hold up longer than the micro red dots. I have both plastic and aluminum C-Mores and they both work great with the aluminum one being heavier. I don't seem to have all the dot shifting problems alot of guys have. On the elevation screw I go past the adjustment and tension it so it puts tension on the down side. Pulling the arm down. I have been playing with the Holosun 510C red dot and like the large glass and it seems to be working great for me so far. Thanks, Eric

Seems to me that the slide ride lasts longer than the other options. I like everything about mine but the size. It sits too high for my taste in a regular mount and gets in the way of my thumb on a sideways mount. For those 2 reasons, I use the RTS2 on my primary and a DPP on my backup gun. 

Thanks for all the input. I see some top pros still using a slideride so unless it's just that they're so used to it there must  be something to them. It seems the Holosun 510c is the latest toy out and gaining some popularity as Aircooled/Eric referenced. Big window,not sure about getting use to the dot-circle combo.

My Open gun has a cmore 6moa.  Love it.  My open .22 pistol and rifle for steel challenge both have cmores.  Recently got a new Volquartsen Black Mamba for rimfire open division in steel challenge.  Put a venom 6moa on it cause I see others seeming to like it and its very light.  Ive practiced with it a lot and shot a couple matches with it.  Recently came to the conclusion I have to give up on it and go back to a cmore.  Same as mentioned, it doesn't seem as bright.  I don't lose the dot often, but the timer doesn't lie, I'm slower with it.  After giving it due practice and a couple matches, as much as I want it to be right, its just not for me.

As far as an opinion on polymer vs aluminum - I have never had an issue with my polymer cmores holding zero, and I shoot my open gun (9 major) quite a bit.  Although I have heard many others have experienced issue.  The aluminum are much heavier.  I have read and heard many times over the aluminum have an issue with cracking in the front bend in the cold.  The polymer ones have treated me right and I am moving back to another one for the Volquartsen. 

6 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

My Open gun has a cmore 6moa.  Love it.  My open .22 pistol and rifle for steel challenge both have cmores.  Recently got a new Volquartsen Black Mamba for rimfire open division in steel challenge.  Put a venom 6moa on it cause I see others seeming to like it and its very light.  Ive practiced with it a lot and shot a couple matches with it.  Recently came to the conclusion I have to give up on it and go back to a cmore.  Same as mentioned, it doesn't seem as bright.  I don't lose the dot often, but the timer doesn't lie, I'm slower with it.  After giving it due practice and a couple matches, as much as I want it to be right, its just not for me.

As far as an opinion on polymer vs aluminum - I have never had an issue with my polymer cmores holding zero, and I shoot my open gun (9 major) quite a bit.  Although I have heard many others have experienced issue.  The aluminum are much heavier.  I have read and heard many times over the aluminum have an issue with cracking in the front bend in the cold.  The polymer ones have treated me right and I am moving back to another one for the Volquartsen. 

Good info,thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 9:12 PM, vgdvc said:

Big window,not sure about getting use to the dot-circle combo.

Don’t need to get used to the dot circle combo.  Can turn on just the dot, just the circle or both at once. Your choice....

Thanks for the input. Is the center dot truly a two MOA or when it's cranked up,even in bright sunlight, does it appear bigger? I seem to have a hard time finding anything smaller than about 4moa quickly on close target engagements. 

Shot for the first time today.  I would say it is as bright as my Romeo 3 is and looked close to the slide ride in 6moa I was shooting on my last open gun....  Window is big!  But does get dirty quick with now shield.....