Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open and .38 super

PNW

For my Birthday my girlfriend bought me an STI Grandmaster. I know she’s great. I have been shooting carry optics with a Glock 34 for the last 9 months. Open is a whole new world though. I have a couple main questions.

Rig set up: I bought another double alpha belt and CR speed mag holders but not sure what holster to use. Any comments on holsters to use? Money is always an issue with gear, but I’d rather only buy one instead of buying a cheap one to start with.

AMMO: .38 super..... I had honestly not even really heard of this round until a couple months ago. I’m a newbie. Do I have to start loading now? Can I buy rounds online that will work fine or is that a no no?

Add ons: Looking at the *thumb rest [generic]* from gogun for some more stability and the Mag release button from Dawson. Any thoughts or comments on what I should get?

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my Birthday my girlfriend bought me an STI Grandmaster. I know she’s great. I have been shooting carry optics with a Glock 34 for the last 9 months. Open is a whole new world though. I have a couple main questions.

Rig set up: I bought another double alpha belt and CR speed mag holders but not sure what holster to use. Any comments on holsters to use? Money is always an issue with gear, but I’d rather only buy one instead of buying a cheap one to start with.

AMMO: .38 super..... I had honestly not even really heard of this round until a couple months ago. I’m a newbie. Do I have to start loading now? Can I buy rounds online that will work fine or is that a no no?

Add ons: Looking at the *thumb rest [generic]* from gogun for some more stability and the Mag release button from Dawson. Any thoughts or comments on what I should get?

Thank you for your time.

Holster: DAA Alpha X or Safariland 014

This is gonna sound expensive but I'd buy a barrel for 9mm major and get it fitted. brass will be way more economical

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah I didn’t want to ask that in this discussion but that was next on my list if I should change it to 9 major.

actually if you load long enough you should be able to run 9 major out the same barrel [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, PNW said:

what holster?     The CR Speed is good.

Can I buy rounds online?   Yes, from a few spots

Add ons: Looking at the *thumb rest [generic]*   and the Mag release button from Dawson.     Personal, I don't like thumb rests, and you probably have a pretty good mag release button on there already - do you have a slide racker - that's worth it's weight in gold. 

Just the standard mag release with the tapped hole. If there was something there the previous owner removed it.
That’s another thing, no slide Racker installed. The gun was a a safe queen and never used. Any reputable guys to send it off to to have it milled for the racker?

I love the 38 super round. It does have a decent amount of recoil, but with the correct load the compensator will take a ton of that away. As far as holsters go, the open race holsters kinda scare me just because i have seen them fail and end up leaving a gun laying in the dirt. This coming from the 3 gun world where there is more up and down and around things movement. But either of the two holsters listed above will work well. I like the safariland better myself.  On to buying ammo, can it be done, yes, Is it the best idea in the realm of things. No not really unless you are just looking for plinking rounds to get somewhat used to the gun. I know a lot of people here load for it and have posted some decent load infomation. We load it using win 231 and it is very tame with 125 grain bullet. I would have to look and get the exact load but i was a load i found here searching for it. 

Yes a slide racker  is a godsend for sure. If you have to hurry rack one on the clock grabbing the slide in the small area no covered by the optic is kinda tough. ( for me anyway with my big hands) But the racker is so easy convient and fast.

The mag release button i would look at the dawson precision one. Its a good size i think anyways. 

Practice practice practice. is what i need to do. i struggle getting the dot centered in the optic so i have to practice the draw and get faster about it. 

• 7 months later...