Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullet problems

Swiley383

Update I shorten the OAL to 1.11 and that seems to have fixed the problem still a couple rejects just a couple and those cases are questionable. The load dat I used for the Unique loads state 1.13 as the minimum OAL and the HP-38 load state 1.12. I did find a load for the Accurate No5 in my Lee book that state min of 1.050. On the Unique and HP-38 loads would I be ok going back to the starting load and work up shortening the OAL this much? I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. By the way I emailed Blue bullets last night and they called me this morning. I told them I had some help and may have it worked out. That’s great customer service for them to be back that quick and to call and not just email. I will give them a update in the morning. Again thanks guys.  

Glad you got it worked out.. Books don't necessarily have all the right answers for all guns. This forum has a wealth of information .. 

Plunk test all of your ammo.. Every barrel is different. 

Don’t have a chrono yet. I am still fairly new only been loading around 5 or6 years right as everything disappeared. This is my first time loading non jacketed/ plated bullets in anything other than 38spl. Look forward to more conversation on this site. I hope to get stocked up on bullets ant the NRA show in a couple weeks I have last few years I hope Blue bullets and some other coated bullet companies are there I really like there cost.

When I loaded 147 blue rn for my glock 34, I used 3.3g of tg at 1.13 to get 134ish of. My shadow 2 needed an oal of around 1.09 with the same bullet, and I was able to cut back to 3.0gr of tg to get similar pf. 

Toby J

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had this issue before.  I have a hundo case gauge and at one point almost all failed.  I switched to lee factory crimp die and I have t looked back.  

I actually switched to a set of Lee dies on my 1050.

Take a sized case and drop in your barrel and gauge, if it is flush or lower then your oal or bullet shape is the problem. Most of the coated RN bullets that I have tried have a blunt nose so you have to load short to get them to work in short chambers especially 147’s. So in that case you’ll have to work up a safe load. Next time try the truncated cone shaped bullets, they will let you load longer. I know that the lee factory crimp die and the u die might fix the problem but I don’t like them. I have been using the Redding sizeing die and my rounds don’t have that wasp shape and they pass the EGW gauge and fit my Barsto Glock 34 barrels. My oal with a truncated coated bullet can be loaded longer than my mags will accept. However when using SNS rn bullets and blues I have to load to 1.060 and thats with a 124 Bullet. Good luck.

The Lee crimp die did not fix the problem. So far it looks like shorter OAL will fix it. Have done a few dummies to plunk test but have not had time to load up and test any. I just ordered 1,000 125 grain Gantlet bullets going to give them a try also.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:13 PM, rooster said:

Take a sized case and drop in your barrel and gauge, if it is flush or lower then your oal or bullet shape is the problem. Most of the coated RN bullets that I have tried have a blunt nose so you have to load short to get them to work in short chambers especially 147’s. So in that case you’ll have to work up a safe load. Next time try the truncated cone shaped bullets, they will let you load longer. I know that the lee factory crimp die and the u die might fix the problem but I don’t like them. I have been using the Redding sizeing die and my rounds don’t have that wasp shape and they pass the EGW gauge and fit my Barsto Glock 34 barrels. My oal with a truncated coated bullet can be loaded longer than my mags will accept. However when using SNS rn bullets and blues I have to load to 1.060 and thats with a 124 Bullet. Good luck.

I've been loading 9mm for a few year but just started competing. In the past I always just started at min and tested till my glocks would run reliable, so I don't really understand why you would need truncated cone bullets and why its beneficial to load longer. if you could help explain that to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

3 hours ago, rock751 said:

I've been loading 9mm for a few year but just started competing. In the past I always just started at min and tested till my glocks would run reliable, so I don't really understand why you would need truncated cone bullets and why its beneficial to load longer. if you could help explain that to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Short throat chambers like CZs force you to load short with some blunt round nose profiles.  This can then possibly create feed issues in some guns and requires backing the load down and working back up in all cases compared to a longer load. Actually OAL is a bad variable to use, seating depth and is what counts as it determines case volume.  I always measure seating depth and use that as a reference comparing different bullets at the same OAL and weight.   Right now I'm working with both DG and Brazos 125 g RN.  The DG plunks at 1.085 in my P09 and Shadow 2,  I load to 1.070.  Brazos can go longer than you would want (near the groove) due to the shoulder, and I run those @ 1.130.  This is significant enough for pressure problems without charge adjustment.   Its all about teasting,  following sound guidelines, no one answer.

1 hour ago, GMP said:

Short throat chambers like CZs force you to load short with some blunt round nose profiles.  This can then possibly create feed issues in some guns and requires backing the load down and working back up in all cases compared to a longer load. Actually OAL is a bad variable to use, seating depth and is what counts as it determines case volume.  I always measure seating depth and use that as a reference comparing different bullets at the same OAL and weight.   Right now I'm working with both DG and Brazos 125 g RN.  The DG plunks at 1.085 in my P09 and Shadow 2,  I load to 1.070.  Brazos can go longer than you would want (near the groove) due to the shoulder, and I run those @ 1.130.  This is significant enough for pressure problems without charge adjustment.   Its all about teasting,  following sound guidelines, no one answer.

thanks for the response. I appreciate it