Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely vs Brazos vs Atlas?

lrdchaos

24 minutes ago, davsco said:

i think the benefit of a brazos hp or dawson supertuned is that they go over the gun and if it isn't perfect, they either send it back, make it perfect, or pick another gun out of their inventory.  no gambling.  i have both and they're awesome, and also pretty happy with my other sti's that haven't been touched outside of sti.  i have had to send two back, but they were fixed and in short order, no hassle, no bs, shipping covered both ways.

To each their own obviously. I am glad that it has worked out for you. What I can tell you is that I have lost count of the STI built guns I have seen with questionable workmanship on major components (Frame/Slide/Barrel Fit). If I am spending near custom gun level $$$ on a 2011 there is no way I am going to do that on a "Spiffed Up" 2011 that is mass produced.

• 4 weeks later...

I have shot all three in limited configurations and to me the fit in finish, but reliability above all with the Atlas is the best by far.  Customer service for me is most important and Adam and Cat seem to always win in that category as well.  Ck makes a great gun in comparison to brazos and for a good price point. but for a few hundred dollars more you can have a Titan or if your really ballin out a Nemesis.  either way it is going to be what you like more. just my 2 worthless cents on the subject    

I love my Titan. But any custom gun from a reputable smith should outperform a factory 2011 and the price to have one worked over vs buying a new custom isn’t that bad so it makes more sense to me to buy the custom.

Agree with cha lee on the matter. For the dollar it doesn’t make sense to not go with a reputable builder starting with fresh components fitting them together on a much smaller scale then a big company like sti. Being a machinist by trade I’m a firm believer in quality and quantity being directly related. No personal experience with Ck or cheely but have seen a lot of their components being used by a lot of high end gun smiths these days. At the start of 2018 I purchased a 40 nemesis due to atlas being easy to work with through the ordering process and delivering right on time(3 months from order date) and gun that ran like a scalded dog! At the end of 2018 shooting season I bought a used open gun from the classifieds and decided to give open a try for the 2019 season. Few messages back and forth with Adam and cat and my nemesis was on its way back to have chaos top end fitted. Was told 2 month turnaround on this (back in my hands in 2 months plus a week which is perfectly acceptable in my book when dealing with outside vendors for coating and parts). All my dealings with atlas have been nothing but great. I know there is a lot of builders that are very capable of delivering a great product, but atlas has won me over with their quality and customer service. A titan for 3600 is a steal in my opinion for a gun with metal grip and the quality of the rest of the parts used! Best of luck on your decision. 

On 4/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, davsco said:

i think the benefit of a brazos hp or dawson supertuned is that they go over the gun and if it isn't perfect, they either send it back, make it perfect, or pick another gun out of their inventory.  no gambling.  i have both and they're awesome, and also pretty happy with my other sti's that haven't been touched outside of sti.  i have had to send two back, but they were fixed and in short order, no hassle, no bs, shipping covered both ways.

Even if you get a "good" one, that doesn't change the fact that many of the parts are crap to start with.

I am sure all of the "reputable" builders are turning out a great product.  Two years ago I was looking at moving from production to open.  I was lucky enough to run across Atlas when they were first starting out.  I had a ton of questions and Adam took the time to work through the build with me.  Anytime I had a question, he was always there to provide me with a quick answer.  The customer service is second to none.  So far I have purchased two custom open guns, a Nemesis, a Helios, and a Hyperion.  They have all been amazing but I know if I do encounter an issue, Atlas will be there to resolve the issue as they stand behind the products they build.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Even if you get a "good" one, that doesn't change the fact that many of the parts are crap to start with.

man enough of this crap.  i have more than a handful of sti's and love them all.  just took delivery of another one today.  wouldn't be doing that if i was experiencing any 'crap.'  the only thing i can remember having to replace is an ejector on one of the guns after thousands of rounds.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

man enough of this crap.  i have more than a handful of sti's and love them all.  just took delivery of another one today.  wouldn't be doing that if i was experiencing any 'crap.'  the only thing i can remember having to replace is an ejector on one of the guns after thousands of rounds.

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  And I've seen enough first hand to make an informed decision to disagree.  If you're happy with them, that's great.

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  And I've seen enough first hand to make an informed decision to disagree.  If you're happy with them, that's great.

that's funny.  i have a stable of sti's and shoot with others that are similarly very satisfied, but it's just my opinion, while you have an informed decision.  anyways seems both our minds are made up, which is fine.

I bought a used Brazos first 2011 I have owned, had to replace some tired parts to get the gun where it needed to be. Gun is better than me 

Edited by Kilrb

My Atlas Titan (one of the early ones, sub 100 serial number) has been very accurate and reliable. 

That being said - I've seen some of their more recent builds at our club that have not been so trouble free.

If I was ordering another gun today I would go with Cheely based on the choices presented. If I didn't have to choose from the presented choices I would go with Akai.