Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely vs Brazos vs Atlas?

lrdchaos

I’ve been toying with the idea of picking up a quality 2011 style pistol. I’ve found a cheely built pistol as well as a brazos high performance modified edge.  Is one better than the other at this point,  or am i spitting hairs? This is a purely range/plinking pistol.   I’m also looking at an atlas titan,  don’t know much about either of the guns.

Edited by lrdchaos

I’ve been toying with the idea of picking up a quality 2011 style pistol. I’ve found a cheely built pistol as well as a brazos high performance modified edge.  Is one better than the other at this point,  or am i spitting hairs? This is a purely range/plinking pistol. 
cheely will have started life with better parts and is full custom build. should be better lockup and grouping via barrel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Atlas makes great guns! Their customer service is top notch! If you ever have a problem you can give them a call and they will get it taken care of. The wait time is minimal compared to other companies, but you are not sacrificing quality. 

My experience with three Atlas pistols has been superb. 

I’m sure the others are very good too but once you develop a good relationship with a builder it’d be silly to abandon that good will.

Edited by Frankly

2 minutes ago, Frankly said:

once you develop a good relationship with a builder it’d be silly to abandon that good will.

This is a big part of it. I’m sure there are other great builders out there but Matt Cheely is the first and only guy I called when I wanted my first Open gun. He has since built me a second gun, he and Gloria have hosted me several times at their home and shop. They are fine people who build fine guns and have always handled any problems or upgrades with minimal cost. Cheely Custom Gunworks sponsors many major matches in Area 5 as well. I consider our relationship much more than just a buyer and seller. I simply see no reason to look elsewhere for a gun builder

It'd be hard to start with better parts in my Atlas Titan.  My Hyperion has a Cheely grip, so, still very hard to start with better parts, same with my Helios and Carry.  Workmanship/quality and customer service from Atlas is at the height of those building high end 2011's.  I have no first hand experience with a Cheely, but I'm quite certain what he turns out is superb.

MB

i have a brazos hp edge and really can't see any other guns shooting any better, more reliable or more accurate.  my guess is with the others you can customize them more to your liking, which may help you shoot them better than the brazos hp edge.

No experience with Brazos. Have fondled and fired a few Atlas's. Own a new Cheely, so yes, I'm a bit biased. 

Toward the latter part of '18 I wanted a new open gun. Contacted Matt via e-mail and we set up a time to speak about a day later. Great guy. Very easy to talk to. We went over every aspect of my build and it was an enjoyable process. Basically it went down like this. I went through what I wanted, he listened and made notes. He then offered his opinions with the reasoning behind them and awaited my response. There was a lot of back and forth, vs " this is how I do it". 

Through out the build when he had a question as to how I wanted something, he simply contacted me and we discussed. A decision was made and he continued. There was constant correspondence throughout the process, which as a consumer / customer means a lot to me. The few times I contacted Matt with a question he always treated me like an old, valued customer and had time for me. 

As for a difference between the 3 you mentioned, they are all top notch quality items. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I had a good experience dealing with Matt and due simply to that fact he has gained a repeat customer. Furthermore, the fit, finish, & function of my pistol is superb. Extremely happy with it. 

My guess is all these guns and builders are perfectly good. You're unlikely to go wrong with any of them. You expect to be treated fairly and nicely when you purchase an expensive gun. Remember to treat them the same and all will go well.

For me, I have an Atlas Nemesis 40 and another one soon to be delivered. I am happy as a lark with the gun and the customer experience. Atlas is  an outstanding company for both the product and the customer service. I can certainly recommend them.

I have no experience with the others but I have always heard good things. Pick the product you like best and the price you can tolerate and buy a gun. You likely won't be disappointed.

For me its Atlas. They have been great!

I have had 2 Atlas pistols, and like everyone has said here, the customer service is second to none. I just ordered a backup for my current Titan (although the current one has yet to breakdown in the year I've had it. Brazos makes a nice gun, but mine didn't have metal grip and that made a big difference in my opinion. 

I own an atlas nemesis and a couple of infinities. I shoot the s#!t out of the atlas. I only know the other two brands by reputation, and that seems to be very solid. I can say I’ve never regretted the money I spent on my Atlas 

Never heard of issues with the other two but Atlas... I will stear away from anybody claiming to be the best or to know it all. 

Neither. Buy an SVI and be happy

Edited by Avenida

just got an Atlas Chaos a few months ago and I have been amazed at the quality, and super nice folks.  I own a STI dvc and a older Infinity all 38 super and for me there is no comparison,

The Atlas Chaos ROCKS   

On 4/20/2019 at 4:26 PM, Avenida said:

Never heard of issues with the other two but Atlas... I will stear away from anybody claiming to be the best or to know it all. 

Neither. Buy an SVI and be happy

Based on my experience and after four Atlas pistols now, I can't imagine any issues Atlas is unwilling to work through, if they truly exist.  I've been in their building numerous times and don't think I've ever heard such claims from them.

MB

Edited by RAVAGE88

The major difference between the Brazos Edge and other custom builds like Cheely or Atlas is that the Edge is built by STI and then Brazos does some minor tweaks to it. The Frame/Slide/Barrel fit on the Brozos Edge is 100% done by STI which in the past was pretty inconsistent. STI has supposedly put more focus on their build quality lately so maybe that isn't a problem anymore?

Simply put, when you order a full custom gun from any builder everything is precision fit by that builder. On the Brazos Edge, they are not building it from the ground up so you are left with however Good/Bad that thing was built at STI. For me, that is too big of a gamble for the amount of $$$ you would spend. Just get a custom gun built right from the ground up by your preferred gunsmith.

Edited by CHA-LEE

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

On the Brazos Edge, they are not building it from the ground up so you are left with however Good/Bad that thing was built at STI. For me, that is too big of a gamble for the amount of $$$ you would spend. 

i think the benefit of a brazos hp or dawson supertuned is that they go over the gun and if it isn't perfect, they either send it back, make it perfect, or pick another gun out of their inventory.  no gambling.  i have both and they're awesome, and also pretty happy with my other sti's that haven't been touched outside of sti.  i have had to send two back, but they were fixed and in short order, no hassle, no bs, shipping covered both ways.