Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honest feedback on my build?

Mdooz

This will be a 16" and will probably shoot anywhere from 50-200yds. I have most of these parts already and am looking for honest feedback.

Upper:

Ballistic Advantage 16" mid length Hansen profile barrel (already own)

Kinetic Development Group MREX handguard 13.5" 12.4oz (already own)

VG6 Delta Comp (already own)

Brownells lightweight BCG NiB (dont own, but interested in)

Radian raptor CH (dont own, but interested in)

Superlative AGB (dont own, but interested in)

Milspec forged assembled upper (already own)

Vortex razor hd gen ii 1-6 and geissele vortex mount (already own)

Lower: 

Spikes forged stripped lower (already own)

Milspec lower parts kit (already own)

Hogue overmold grip (already own)

Geissele SSAE (already own)

ACE ARFX stock (already own)

JP SCS gen 2 with steel weights, extra tungsten weights if needed (already own)

Basically looking for recommendations. What would you change about this build? Trying to keep it somewhat affordable. 

Looks pretty good so far, only critiques I have are with the trigger. I'd lean more towards a si gle stage trigger for 3 gun, if you like Geissele look at the S3g trigger.

as for the buffer weights, with the adjustable gas block I'd make the weights in the buffer system as light as possible, no need to add weight when you have the adjustable gas block.

4 minutes ago, MustangMan said:

Looks pretty good so far, only critiques I have are with the trigger. I'd lean more towards a si gle stage trigger for 3 gun, if you like Geissele look at the S3g trigger.

as for the buffer weights, with the adjustable gas block I'd make the weights in the buffer system as light as possible, no need to add weight when you have the adjustable gas block.

Thanks, I will look into single stage triggers. Geissele isn't a must, I was gonna throw a milspec trigger on my sbr and use the ssae on my 16", but I might get one of those $140-160 single stage triggers instead. 

I'm wondering if I'm cheaping out by getting the brownells lightweight bcg. It seems too good to be true. Also the handguard is a bit wide. Are there any light handguards out there that are thin, but offer a flat surface to use as a rest? It wouldnt need any mlok or keymod points, or even a pic rail on top. 

heres a pic of the rifle configured right now while I'm building the dedicated lower. 

https://imgur.com/a/bngLArf

10 minutes ago, Snausages32 said:

I have that brownells bcg, nickel boron, and I love it.  No issues at all.  I'm also using that Gen 2 SCS, the same BA barrel,  and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.  They work great together.

You may want to consider a single stage trigger.  I went with Timney, and it's amazing.  

Great! Thanks a bunch. I'll go with that. 

There is nothing wrong with the Brownells lightweight bcg, I use an Aim Surplus lightweight bcg that is about the same price.

I just looked over your list again, I would go with a much more aggressive comp, the one you have is more flash hider than comp imo. There are many great comps at a wide array of price points.

As for yandguard, I would personally steer away from one with a flat bottom, it sounds good in theory that you can brace off of flat objects easier, but in 3 gun I very rarely have a flat surface to brace against, my of the things we can brace off of are at weird angles like Tank traps which a flat bottom would be a bit of a hindrance imo.

Agree with MustangMan on the handguard.  Check out Aero Precision Atlas S1.  Quality stuff...I have one on an Ar15 and one on a Ar10.  If you're looking for a good brake,  I've had great luck with my DPMS Miculek brakes....and the dont break thebank.

3 hours ago, MustangMan said:

There is nothing wrong with the Brownells lightweight bcg, I use an Aim Surplus lightweight bcg that is about the same price.

I just looked over your list again, I would go with a much more aggressive comp, the one you have is more flash hider than comp imo. There are many great comps at a wide array of price points.

As for yandguard, I would personally steer away from one with a flat bottom, it sounds good in theory that you can brace off of flat objects easier, but in 3 gun I very rarely have a flat surface to brace against, my of the things we can brace off of are at weird angles like Tank traps which a flat bottom would be a bit of a hindrance imo.

I was thinking about an SJC titan, APA, or JP comp. Also if I decide to avoid the flat bottom handguard, I'd really like to use a tube handguard like the JP rapid config or signature, or some other simple tube. I don't need any mlok slots or anything, but I know that some of those tubes are ridiculously expensive.

Keep the tube light, JP are great and tough but a bit heavy by today's standards.  The SJC and new APA brake are great, but the M4-72 is light, much cheaper and very effective if you want to save a few bucks.

• 1 month later...

I would highly recommend JP LMOS BCG and SCS (Black Standard spring and steel weights. Stock setup) (if you have a buget, next best thing is FailZero Light Weight BCG - Its Awesome)

Great choice on AGB.

As far as barrel,  16 Intermediate will be as soft as 16 will get. (but 16 mid will do the trick as well) The only thing better will be 18 Rifle. (Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod2 is my choice, Stupid Accurate. 1/4-1/2 MOA repeatable with 75gr Handloads)

I ran SJC Titan for several seasons. Love brake, but its Heavy if you dont have TI version. This season I shoot APA The Answer..... one word. Amazing! Very light and Highly effective and super tunable. Rifle runs stupid flat.

Handguard I would recommend 15" Rainier Arms Switch Mod1 or Fortis Switch Mod 2 depending if you like rail on top or not. Super awesome Rail! (if you have a budget, Aero Atlas-S is hard to beat)

Trigger is also a personal thing, but Hiperfire 24C/Competition/Eclipse is what I use. Super crisp single stage with positive reset.

Get short throw safety for sure. There is no excuse to use old school 90 deg safety.

All this is my personal opinion, but I do have a thing for an awesome parts.