Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning STI TiN Compensated Barrel


mikbay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Really could use some definitive help here. Crazy, I know, but have spent more time reading posts and trying to clean than shooting.

 

I really want to keep the inside of these chambers like new. Was thinking they would clean like the rest of the barrel but no way. Even after less than a mag they are not spraying or wiping clean.

Really would appreciate the ideal method for cleaning after each shoot and having it look new.

Any possibility someone keeps one clean without damaging the outside finish?

DVC-S-Black_Gold-10 (1).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Using an oil like Militec, that actually penetrates the surface of the metal, is the only way this might be possible.  When I was brand new to open I used to wipe the chambers of comps with and oiled q-tip before shooting.  This helps but carbon fouling is inevitable.  If you shoot jacketed bullets (not FMJ) the comp will stay cleaner.  I have guns with over 25k on them that you can still see the tooling marks in the bottom of the comp chambers.  They do however have a thin coating of carbon on them so the titanium color has been replaced with a dull gray/black. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might be getting a little anal about keeping the comp looking like new. As long as the chambers do not have significant build up you’ll be fine. 

 

That said youd you’d have to do a lot to hurt that TiN finish do clean away. I’ll let others that are more experienced chime in but have you considered a heated ultrasonic cleaner?  

Edited by Descartian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, taxil343 said:

Using an oil like Militec, that actually penetrates the surface of the metal, is the only way this might be possible.  When I was brand new to open I used to wipe the chambers of comps with and oiled q-tip before shooting.  This helps but carbon fouling is inevitable.  If you shoot jacketed bullets (not FMJ) the comp will stay cleaner.  I have guns with over 25k on them that you can still see the tooling marks in the bottom of the comp chambers.  They do however have a thin coating of carbon on them so the titanium color has been replaced with a dull gray/black. 

Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Descartian said:

You might be getting a little anal about keeping the comp looking like new. As long as the chambers do not have significant build up you’ll be fine. 

 

That said youd you’d have to do a lot to hurt that TiN finish do clean away. I’ll let others that are more experienced chime in but have you considered a heated ultrasonic cleaner?  

I was waiting for comments about how nuts I'm being and I know that is more than a little. I just figured there may be some way to keep it clean if I start early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sprayed some stuff into the comp that was supposed to prevent fouling.  I ended up with a gooey mess, but it did clean out.  

 

I shoot JHPs over Major Pistol powder.  It burns super clean.  There is some carbon after a match, but it does not build up.  Even after a couple thousand round the thickness is the same.  I can see the machining marks through the carbon.  It will wipe out, right down to bare steel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 7:37 AM, zzt said:

I sprayed some stuff into the comp that was supposed to prevent fouling.  I ended up with a gooey mess, but it did clean out.  

 

I shoot JHPs over Major Pistol powder.  It burns super clean.  There is some carbon after a match, but it does not build up.  Even after a couple thousand round the thickness is the same.  I can see the machining marks through the carbon.  It will wipe out, right down to bare steel.

 

Can you tell me what the product is that you spray to keep the stuff wiping out? Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mix up a 40/40/20 solution of Kroil/Hoppes #9/Slip 2000 carbon killer in a needle bottle.  I put this in the comp and let it soak over night.  The next day I put some Slip 2000 on one of these big q-tip gun cleaners and  wipe it out.  This will take out about 90%.  Once in a while I use one of these brushes in my Dremel on the lowest speed.  One of the local guys told me about spraying Dillon case lube in the comp before shooting, it  helps too.  I know it doesn't need all of this, but I'm retired and have some free time to tinker....

 

Dremel 537 Brass End Brush - Open Package

Edited by BadShot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

50/50 mix apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  let it soak a bit and clean out with a qtip.   Spray a little dillon case lube in the comp after its cleaned and wipe the excess out.  My comp still looks brand new after about 8000 rounds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6970639f1b50cfb21211e636683681c3.jpg
For comp cleaning this is my go to. I put a longer 1/8” nail or whatever in there and file to a chisel point.

I’ve tried every soaking method out there and this beats all of em, it’s a tiny jackhammer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 5/13/2020 at 5:45 PM, B_Seehawer said:

6970639f1b50cfb21211e636683681c3.jpg
For comp cleaning this is my go to. I put a longer 1/8” nail or whatever in there and file to a chisel point.

I’ve tried every soaking method out there and this beats all of em, it’s a tiny jackhammer.

 

 

The steel nail doesn't scratch the TiN does it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...