Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
BamaShooter88

First match results. Need advice!

I'm glad you came out and had a good time. They were some tough stages but fun to shoot. As you get to shoot more matches it will become easier with practice.

I stage plan in steps broken up by reloads.  Identify land marks for your reloads. Something like "when I leave the port  - reload" and include them when you walk through. Sometimes you may shoot just a few rounds before reloading. For example, when you have a long movement  you may reload early because it will get you through the rest of the stage.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

We all suck at first and get better over the first year. Too. 

Wait........We're supposed to get better? 😆

On 4/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, David.Hylton said:

I'm glad you came out and had a good time. They were some tough stages but fun to shoot. As you get to shoot more matches it will become easier with practice.

I stage plan in steps broken up by reloads.  Identify land marks for your reloads. Something like "when I leave the port  - reload" and include them when you walk through. Sometimes you may shoot just a few rounds before reloading. For example, when you have a long movement  you may reload early because it will get you through the rest of the stage.

That makes sense! I had a blast! We will be shooting the steel matches and USPSA regularly from now on. The stages were tough but in a good way. I enjoy a challenge.

I too struggled with stage planning in the beginning. My advice, no matter what, try and come up with your own plan and stick to it 100% for a while. If you are not up in squad 1st, definatly compare others plan to yours but do not try and copy what others are doing for a stage plan. For my self any way I had to do my own thing to succeed and when I tried copying others it never worked out 100%.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

If you cannot close your eyes and run through the whole stage like a video, you didn’t run through it enough while “air gunning.”

Memorize the whole thing. Then execute *at a controlled pace* when the buzzer goes off. 

You shouldn’t need to stop to think about what to shoot next. ;) 

Well there you go. Best advice. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

If you cannot close your eyes and run through the whole stage like a video, you didn’t run through it enough while “air gunning.”

Memorize the whole thing. Then execute *at a controlled pace* when the buzzer goes off. 

You shouldn’t need to stop to think about what to shoot next. ;) 

really good advise. something i need to work on myself.. thanks for the tip!