Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun shotgun recommendation

It depends on how much you want to spend, and if you're going to seriously compete, or if you there to compete and have fun.  Where I go, I'd say about 1/4 to 1/3 of all shotguns are Stoeger M3Ks, including my own.  I got it off gunbroker.com new for $550, delivered.  Add an extension tube, new spring, and you're ready to go.  If your bank account allows, there is of course the M2, extremely popular, top quality, etc... and several other options.

So much of 3 Gun is user preference and practice...

I really like my Stoeger, mines been all set up by MOA and I’d buy it again if I was looking for a new shotgun. With the price of the gun and all the work and upgrades I’m still in it for less than a stock M2. It’s been 100% reliable as long as I don’t put cheap ammo in it, I use Remington gun club shells. Would highly recommend.

I'm very happy with a recently bought (new production) Mossberg 930 JM Pro with all the OR3GUN upgrade parts installed (their competition bundle with the blue parts). Runs excellent with various Walmart/Academy discount shells, but you still have to clean it. Nice setup for the $'s. FYI, mine came from factory with good shell stop (didn't need any filing/polishing). There's plenty of posts on-line about this shotgun's earlier problems (seemed like mostly some cheap parts and QC issues from the factory), but I think it's been worked out by folks like OR3GUN and others, I hope...

Edited by littlefish

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Broncos79 said:

Thank you all - I am leaning towards an M2  but there sure does appear to be some great options at significantly lower prices

Just get the Benelli, it’s an awesome gun.  If you go the cheaper route you’ll always wonder what you’re missing out on.

6 hours ago, Broncos79 said:

Thank you all - I am leaning towards an M2  but there sure does appear to be some great options at significantly lower prices

There's always the M1, it's basically an M2 without the comfortech stock for hundreds less. 

I'm surprised nobody thought to mention it yet. 

I'll add another recommendation for the M3K Freedom Series.  I got mine from Kentucky Gun Company last year for $550 shipped.  It's literally ready to go right out of the box and I used it as such for several matches last year.  The only mods I've made for this year are: HiViz TriComp front sight, MOA Lightning Load Lifter, Taran Tactical spring kit, and some strategically placed rubber grip tape.  I'd like to add a magazine extension to get it up to 12, but I'm hoping MOA comes out with a +2 end cap for the FS (not super interested in their current $80 kit).  I may eventually open up the loading port, but honestly, I can quad load just fine with the stock configuration.  Good luck with your choice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I traded a sig 226 for a new  benelli m2. Had I not caught that deal I’d have a stoeger m3k.  Mostly due to local matches not often being 3gun.

its 8+1 .21” barrel, had  TTI load lifter, and a few other bells and whistles. Still not ported. I’ll get around to it after I move and set up shop again.

ive been told to get a longer tube, but I figure I should probably get decent at quad loading first before I sweat more addons.

i did have to get a limb saver pad for it, m2 comes with a righty tailored pad, if your lefty it’s not very comfy after 100 or so rounds, put the pressure on your pec and not the shoulder.

im finding offhand quad loading on a non ported feed hole is a pain in the butt though. ( can’t main hand quad load, got half a thumb on left hand, shells go everywhere but in the tube) so porting is first on the docket.

gunbroker was where I picked up carriers. Can’t recall the brand but they have small flexible metal shell retainers in 4 and 8 shell holders, they where another lucky find with no reserve and no starting bid. The store still had them on package and I think was just dumpin* them.

to be competitive you should consider a Benelli M2 or a Beretta 1301, both with a 24 inch barrel- they will serve you well if set up properly. Either C-Rums, Rose Action Sports or Benny Hill at Triangle can set them up for you.