Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring open

jstagn

In general, it is suggested to change recoil and firing pin springs every 5000 rounds.  I don't bother generally.  The 8 lb spring in two of my Open guns has not been changed for two seasons.  They still work fine.  My newest Open gun won't run anything higher than a 7 lb spring, so I'll probably change it halfway through the season, just in case.

Recoil springs are cheap.  If you have any doubts at all, change them.  I carry spares in my range kit.

7 hours ago, taxil343 said:

Once a year I change all gun and mag springs.  I shoot 8-10k a year and have never experienced failures induced by weak springs.

Slacker.  Just kidding.

I'm ordering the Brownell's recoil spring tester.  The length test is not always valid, because you can get supposedly identical 8 lb recoil springs from the same manufacturer and the lengths are different.  It will be interesting t see how consistent the manufacturers are.  I just ordered four 7 lb ISMI recoil springs.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I'm ordering the Brownell's recoil spring tester.  The length test is not always valid, because you can get supposedly identical 8 lb recoil springs from the same manufacturer and the lengths are different.  It will be interesting t see how consistent the manufacturers are.  I just ordered four 7 lb ISMI recoil springs.

Prepare to be very disappointed.  If you buy them all at the same time and are lucky enough to get them all out of one batch, they will generally be fairly close.  If you buy them a year apart, they will not even be close.  I have one of the old SDM recoil spring testers.  I replaced the cheapie spring type fish scale with a digital scale that is very repeatable when tested against a dead weight.

1 hour ago, touji said:

I just test the weight of the spring and change when it is below the weight tolerance I'm looking at.

I do the same.  I test a new spring after about 50-100 rounds and record the weight, then every time I do a detail strip cleaning, I weigh the springs.  It will remain at that weight for several thousands of rounds then drop dramatically.  The number of rounds can vary greatly before the weight drops.

5 hours ago, rishii said:

I compare the spring that’s in the gun with a new one, when the used spring is one coil shorter, I change it

Once it takes a set, that's when it's good. After it's broken in I never change it. 

27 minutes ago, Shmella said:

You never change recoil spring s?

Yes, but never to a new one unless I'm 'breaking it in'.  I keep about 5 used springs in my bag at different levels of trim to change how the gun feels. 

A gun should not need a new or heavy spring to run.  Having said that a strong spring will power through 'problems'.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:19 PM, theWacoKid said:

Yes, but never to a new one unless I'm 'breaking it in'.  I keep about 5 used springs in my bag at different levels of trim to change how the gun feels. 

A gun should not need a new or heavy spring to run.  Having said that a strong spring will power through 'problems'.

Ben, how many rounds represents your typical ‘break in’ or ‘set in’?

Ben's crazy. The only way to keep an open gun running is with a healthy stock of fresh springs. Mine get changed before every match, and after every 3 stages if it's a major. I buy them by the case.

Edited by sstephns

20 minutes ago, sstephns said:

Ben's crazy. The only way to keep an open gun running is with a healthy stock of fresh springs. Mine get changed before every match, and after every 3 stages if it's a major. I buy them by the case.

dude, can you save those useless springs and mail them to me at the end of the season?  I'll pay for shipping :)

27 minutes ago, sstephns said:

I have tons of junk springs. Send me your address. 

I was just funning with you.  I only change my springs each season (if that) so don't go through a lot of springs.  Thanks for the offer though and for being a good sport! 

You're still welcome to send me your extra springs, but only if you have kept them neatly labeled so I can tell which is which :)