Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Test calling shots - clean target behind, shot target in front

shootmove

Just got this great tip from Steve Anderson's recent podcast (great source of info on drills and mindset.) Apparently, Steve learned this from Ben Stoeger.

1. Low round-count drill of your choice
  2. Place a clean target behind a shot target.
  3. Shoot the drill.
  4. Envision what the target should look like.
  5. Check the real target. If all hits are Cs or better, look at the timer.
  6. Repeat

Aim for 85% As (that's roughly the competition-winning percentage).

Excited to try this. Anyone have experience or enhancements to this method?

Edited by shootmove
Add details

Never tried this specifically, but sounds like it would work well. The first time I really called a shot was during a match when the targets were bagged due to rain. I couldn't see where my hits were going but I just knew I had missed a headshot so I made it up and it turned out I was right. Very cool feeling.

Not being able to see my hits made me have to just know where my hits were without being able to see the target. Give the Anderson/Stoeger setup a whirl and let us know how it works.

16 hours ago, shootmove said:

Just got this great tip from Steve Anderson's recent podcast (great source of info on drills and mindset.) Apparently, Steve learned this from Ben Stoeger.

1. Low round-count drill of your choice
  2. Place a clean target behind a shot target.
  3. Shoot the drill.
  4. Envision what the target should look like.
  5. Check the real target. If all hits are Cs or better, look at the timer.
  6. Repeat

Aim for 85% As (that's roughly the competition-winning percentage).

Excited to try this. Anyone have experience or enhancements to this method?

Your version is slightly different from what I’ve heard Steve advocate before and what’s in his book, although I am a couple episodes behind. I think you’re combining two of his drills. 

For the double target drill (shot up target in front, clean target behind), your goal is to shoot at match-ish pace (not bullseye mode) and identify where the shots went. The only goal is to know where the shots went. 

The other match mode drill he talks about is shooting a mini stage with the goal of leaving only acceptable hits and calling your shots. At the end of the stage, you try to score the targets before you look at them, and you only get to see the time if you successfully call the shots. I guess you could also run this with making up the shots and then, as you say, only see the timer if you successfully left only acceptable hits (whatever that means to you - usually Steve will call this A’s and close C’s). 

The biggest key is to think:What is the goal of the drill? What defines success? 

If you don’t do this effectively, you’ll never be as successful or make progress as quickly.

Maybe @Steve Anderson will chime in and clarify the intent of each drill.