Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple String Time Verification

Frieday

So, you just finished shooting a stage.  You unload and show clear, RO calls range is clear.  RO calls out your time and shows you the timer.  The RO scores your targets and you review the entered time and tallied hits on the pad.  Now is your chance to call out any discrepancies.  If you think the recorded time is incorrect, you can still look at the timer.

Now what if this was a multiple string stage.  

You shoot the first string.  Once complete, the RO calls the time and shows you the timer.  Let's say the timer reads 9.50s.  You shoot the second string.  You finish, RO calls range is clear.  RO calls your time and shows you the timer reading 10.65s.  RO scores your targets and you go to review the pad.  You see the recorded time for your first string is 19.50s.  You argue that your first string's time is not correct.  The RO claims he can't remember your first string's time and the scorekeeper says "I only record what I see on the timer."

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this situation?

WOW

I rarely see the timer after a string.  So that is pretty cool you get to see it.  Additionally here in AZ we move the shooters pretty quickly through a stage so that review process is shorten significantly.

So now, what does the rule book say about disputes?  There is a formal and informal way of dealing with it.  At a regional, as a CRO, I would record it, the shooter not approve it, and call the Range Manager or MD etc. And do the next shooter. In an informal way, I would just do a reshoot and move on. 

I had a match where I had 100 procedurals on a 15 target stage.  The iPad hit too many keys.  I saw it too late and just sucked it up.  I did not win the Vette that match.

12 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Edit as I misread. Suck it up I guess if you pushed approve already. Otherwise appeal it.

In this case, the shooter did not hit approve.  "Suck it up" is not a valid response to an RO/Scorekeeper not doing their job correctly.

2 hours ago, AHI said:

Can you not hit the review button on the timer?

On the CED 7000 you can.  I have .

That timer allows you to review a recorded time, even after running a whole other string??

8 minutes ago, Frieday said:

That timer allows you to review a recorded time, even after running a whole other string??

The CED7000 allows you to see the last ten times it was used to record a run. A very useful feature. Twice this year I’ve been able to fix an incorrectly recorded stage time which was noticed after several other shooters have been run.

4 minutes ago, Frieday said:

In this case, the shooter did not hit approve.  "Suck it up" is not a valid response to an RO/Scorekeeper not doing their job correctly.

Also check out AMG Lab Commander, with its bluetooth link to Practiscore it completely eliminates human error that is possible when time entered manually. It seems from the situation you explained that perhaps scorekeeper visually mistaken 0 for 9 or considering that those two buttons are close on the keypad, pressed wrong one by accident. With that timer you just press a button on the tablet and entire string gets downloaded into the system. Practiscore also allows you to roll back up to 10 strings in history to review. And timer itself can display you last 3 strings simultaneously if necessary.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The CED7000 allows you to see the last ten times it was used to record a run. A very useful feature. Twice this year I’ve been able to fix an incorrectly recorded stage time which was noticed after several other shooters have been run.

Thank you for this information!  One of the clubs I shoot at monthly uses this timer.  I will have to check them out at the next match.

3 hours ago, Frieday said:

Thank you for this information!  One of the clubs I shoot at monthly uses this timer.  I will have to check them out at the next match.

The four directional arrows below the screen do the magic. Up and down step between splits in whatever string you’re looking at. Look on the screen as it toggles shot 1,2,3 etc with each button press.

Side to side switches between the 10 most recent strings: string 1 is the one just fired, and string 10 is the oldest.

If you know how to work a 7000 it’s a great tool; I have looked to see what my final time was, found the string matching that time (so I know I’m looking at the correct run) and taken note of my draw and reload times, or how long I waited on activated target after shooting it’s steel, etc.

All of that a half dozen shooters after I ran the stage. :) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic