Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the 625 Dead

JAB

31 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

Nope, shot mine at a match last weekend.  Plan to shoot it in L6 throughout the year as well.

Good , an L6 title could be in your future. Keep at it, son. 

I keep hearing the rumors that the 625 is dead and have been waiting for their prices to fall as I would like to purchase a second one. My friends and I shoot at least one USPSA  match a year with them. They are also great guns for ICORE Limited 6.  

3 hours ago, 357454 said:

I keep hearing the rumors that the 625 is dead and have been waiting for their prices to fall as I would like to purchase a second one. My friends and I shoot at least one USPSA  match a year with them. They are also great guns for ICORE Limited 6.  

Or if it's a 4" in IDPA.

1 hour ago, Gomar83 said:

I’m going to give USPSA a whirl with 4” 625. It sounds like a fun challenge for me but maybe pain for others to watch.

A local match director told me a few times that watching revolver shooters was painful, until a few of them beat him while he was shooting both single stack and limited.

A local match director told me a few times that watching revolver shooters was painful, until a few of them beat him while he was shooting both single stack and limited.
A single stack shooter beat me this week, but that kid is fast. It's good to see young people shooting low cap divisions.

5 hours ago, PatJones said:
7 hours ago, 357454 said:

A single stack shooter beat me this week, but that kid is fast. It's good to see young people shooting low cap divisions.

I have started to see more shooters under 40 trying Revo and Single Stack.  I like the challenge of reduced capacity myself.

16 hours ago, PatJones said:

But then you'd still be shooting IDPA.

emoji48.png

Yes I know, but it isn't your daddy's IDPA anymore...🤣🤣

Took me 21 years to try IDPA and then only after they made a "few" rules changes.  

But it's still trigger time, kind of the closest I can get to ICORE around here right now.

I still jones for USPSA though, will always be my 1st choice.

Edited by pskys2

My 625 is an amazing field carry piece:  packs easily, throws a 260 WFN at 900 fps without any effort:  mild recoil, can ring an 8 inch plate out to 100 yards, shoots through a hog stem to stern while making a .800 wound channel the whole way.  I carry it every day as its lighter and has a much better trigger than my SRH 454.  It has night sights, so it also sleeps on my night stand.   The ONLY gun that could replace it would be a 25-5 in 45 Colt with night sights.  The only advantage to the 25-5 would be ammo parity with my 92 lever gun which lives in my truck.  A 260 WFN sounds like a steak being dropped on the floor when it impacts flesh and bone... most things I've shot drop DRT or take very few stumbling steps then expire.  One deer, hit behind the shoulder from 100 yards ran 30  yards.  However, even from that range you could hear the impact, see the whole open in the ribs and see the spray as the bullet exited.  His lungs were jelly.  If I'd shoulder shot, he would have planted.  Amazingly, at that range I'd guess the velocity to be 725-750 fps...mass and meplat, to paraphrase John Linebaugh, are our only constants in terminal performance.   My 625 has always performed terminally, with no punishment to the shooter.  I like it better than my 610.

Its dead in USPSA.  Its THE wheel gun for IDPA. 

JME,

Jason

10 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

My 625 is an amazing field carry piece:  packs easily, throws a 260 WFN at 900 fps without any effort:  mild recoil, can ring an 8 inch plate out to 100 yards, shoots through a hog stem to stern while making a .800 wound channel the whole way.  I carry it every day as its lighter and has a much better trigger than my SRH 454.  It has night sights, so it also sleeps on my night stand.   The ONLY gun that could replace it would be a 25-5 in 45 Colt with night sights.  The only advantage to the 25-5 would be ammo parity with my 92 lever gun which lives in my truck.  A 260 WFN sounds like a steak being dropped on the floor when it impacts flesh and bone... most things I've shot drop DRT or take very few stumbling steps then expire.  One deer, hit behind the shoulder from 100 yards ran 30  yards.  However, even from that range you could hear the impact, see the whole open in the ribs and see the spray as the bullet exited.  His lungs were jelly.  If I'd shoulder shot, he would have planted.  Amazingly, at that range I'd guess the velocity to be 725-750 fps...mass and meplat, to paraphrase John Linebaugh, are our only constants in terminal performance.   My 625 has always performed terminally, with no punishment to the shooter.  I like it better than my 610.

Its dead in USPSA.  Its THE wheel gun for IDPA. 

JME,

Jason

I like this guy

Way back when I was a kid, 1972 16 yrs old, I bought a new M28 357 magnum and had an old 1917 in 45 colt (had been a 455 webley reamed out and would split a case every 5th round).  I liked to shoot at frogs on the pond bank.  I liked the M28 it was new and shiny but the magnum loads never did much just kind of penetrated the bank.  Now the 45 colt...hit the bank like a brick throwing mud, water and frog every where, it was great.  Sadly still have the M28 but let the 1917 get away.  But man those 255 LFN 45 colt loads at probably 800 f/s just made my day.