Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Wire Recoil Springs

fal

Dawson says not to use them with their tool less guide rod. I used an ISMI spring in my glock. It finally gave out after about 12k rounds and would not return the slide to battery.  The first and only recoil spring I've actually had fail. I stick with Wolff now. Supposedly once a recoil spring takes a set it shouldn't need to be replaced for quite some time. Some folks are running tens of thousands of rounds on their 2011s with the same spring. If the gun cycles free then it really doesn't take much force to close the slide back. Just have to make sure it's enough to strip the next round from the mag.

Edited by ezra650

On 4/16/2019 at 11:53 AM, ezra650 said:

Dawson says not to use them with their tool less guide rod. I used an ISMI spring in my glock. It finally gave out after about 12k rounds and would not return the slide to battery.  The first and only recoil spring I've actually had fail. I stick with Wolff now. Supposedly once a recoil spring takes a set it shouldn't need to be replaced for quite some time. Some folks are running tens of thousands of rounds on their 2011s with the same spring. If the gun cycles free then it really doesn't take much force to close the slide back. Just have to make sure it's enough to strip the next round from the mag.

So the recoil spring gave out after 12k rounds and it is the bad guy? 

They come standard in the Springfield RO Elites. In my compact 9mm and 45acp RO's I do feel like they lessen recoil better, particulary in the 45. And it seems they function equally well with lighter target loads, and defensive ammo.

But like stated, they are somewhat noisy when dry firing and racking the slides. And I'm not sure I would bother switching out the regular springs in my competition guns, for a flat wire system. I just feel I can fine tune the gun better with regular springs. In my carry guns, I like them for the fact that though they are set up for heavy defensive ammo, the gun functions equally well with light target loads for practice.

Edited by Postal Bob

Thanks for the replies guy's. I jumped on them when they first came out. Love them in 4 in. gun in 45. There was only a 17lb. in 5in. back then, felt undersprung with major or carry ammo. More spring weights avalible now, may re-evaluate in 5in. guns. Was looking for a little input on their use in 4.25 guns, Commanders.I want to run one in a lightweight Commander without a guide rod adding the weight and was concerned with spring binding.

• 7 months later...