Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some 2011 help

jsykes

So I have an older Infinity gun that came with the plastic grip.  I recently purchased and had a new steel grip made and installed.  Had a local smith do the work as I'm not familiar enough with them or had the skills to do all the fitting required (and it needed a lot).

So got it back last night.  I had to remove the magwell in order to install the grip tape as the magwell comes over the tape at the bottom of the grip.  When I did, the mainspring housing slid out, seemed like no big deal.  I installed the tape and put the housing and magwell back on.  I then when to try a mag in it for the first time.  It didnt go in.  I started to look closer and found that on the back of the grip, inside, where the mainspring housing is there is something sticking through the grip, blocking the mag from entering.  Photo below.

Is this right?  Is this something that just didnt get fully fitted in the grip install or is this something I may have done when I pulled the magwell and mainspring housing and its not something I got back together correctly?  Do I just need to file that down or does it need to come apart again and be put back together properly?

Thanks for any help, this has been a long drawn out issue and I'm really itching to get this thing out on the range.

46869987694_28d90da9ee_c.jpg

I would take it apart so you dont grind up that new grip. You have to leave enough to catch the tab that holds it in place. Then it has to go back together correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Alright, that is what I'll do.  Thanks for the help.  I was mostly concerned I put something back together wrong when I did the magwell.   But I'll take it back.  I've been waiting to get this running awhile, a couple more days wont matter.

Thanks again.

That is definitely the tab of the mainspring. But it shouldn't stick through that much, unless it was installed at an upward angle. Does the trigger, hammer, trigger reset, grip safety all work correctly? I'm guesing not.

On a 2011, it's much easier removing and inserting the sear spring and grip safety, than on a 1911.Start by removing the thumb safety and grip safety. Lower the hammer, then remove the mainspring housing enough to take out the sear spring. Keep the hammer down, and the trigger foward. Then lay the sear spring flat in the grip, and move the mainspring housing up enough to secure the bottom of the sear spring in its tab slot. Making sure the hammer strut sits in the cup on the mainspring housing. Work the grip safety in place making sure the right leg of the sear spring sits under the inner tab extension on the grip safety. Then slide the mainspring housing all the way up, and secure with the pin, Reinstall the grip safety afterwards

Trigger works and resets just fine.  I didnt do all that before, I pushed the pin that holds the magwell on out, then the mainspring slid out the bottom of the grip when I removed the magwell (wasnt aware that was going to happen).

I installed the tape, pushed the mainspring housing back up into the grip, installed the magwell and pushed the pin back in.

Hre's a video showing how to disassemble and reassemble the gun. If afterwards it still blocks the mag from inserting, then remove the sear spring and file down th tab. But make sure everything else is properly in place first. The tab shouldn't stick through unless the recess for the mainspring housing is deeper than normal.

https://youtu.be/oWXFdfDUdKQ

Edited by Postal Bob