Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW Lower Paddle Safeties


ezra650
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have shmedium/small hands. I never have problems getting a solid grip, but I do reaching the trigger shoe. On my last 2011 limited gun I did my best to mitigate this by using a short flat shoe and reducing the grip. By the time I reduced the corners of the grip to my preference a 2nd time I was experiencing mags not wanting to drop free (even with no grip pressure). I'm working on getting my new to me 2011 open gun fit to my hands. I've found that by rotating my right hand slightly I can get the entire pad of my trigger finger on the shoe and still keep the web of my hand high in the beavertail for a solid grip. The down side is doing this rotates my thumb to an odd spot on the thumb safety, not fully on, not fully off.

 

I was thinking about alternative TS options and found these 2. Anyone have experience/opinions with either?

 

http://www.egwguns.com/frame-parts/egw-lower-paddle-safety-ss/

 

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/extreme-service-thumb-safety

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, zzt said:

The EGW one is fine  I like Harrison Custom stuff, but you have to work harder to fit them and finish them.

EGW is always top quality. I feel like the wider pad would be more comfortable for me too. I have a set of SVI extra wide safeties, but they angle my thumb too high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2019 at 2:08 PM, bigboy69 said:

Here is the EGW lowered thumb safety.  I really like it and have been using it the last 3 years.

safety.PNG

Thanks for the pic! It was hard trying to find a pic of it installed on a gun. The 2nd would for sure be too low for me and interfere with my support hand.  If I can sell my old SVI safeties I'm going to order the EGW in stainless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ezra650 said:

Thanks for the pic! It was hard trying to find a pic of it installed on a gun. The 2nd would for sure be too low for me and interfere with my support hand.  If I can sell my old SVI safeties I'm going to order the EGW in stainless.

 

EGW doesn't make a lowered in an ambi safety, only a single.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bigboy69 said:

 

No, it works, it's made for it

Thats what I was thinking, but you had me worried for a sec lol. I actually find I prefer single sided safeties. It makes weak hand shooting easier for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ezra650 said:

Thats what I was thinking, but you had me worried for a sec lol. I actually find I prefer single sided safeties. It makes weak hand shooting easier for me.

The only reason a thumb safety would be short is if you would try to use 1/2 of an ambi setup.

Capture_2222.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2019 at 2:48 PM, zzt said:

The EGW one is fine  I like Harrison Custom stuff, but you have to work harder to fit them and finish them.

 

On 4/15/2019 at 3:07 PM, bigboy69 said:

 

No, it works, it's made for it

The EGW safety will be here Saturday! Excited to fit and see how I like it, will post pics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

 

Any new pics???

 

I need to take some. I got it fitted. Took some more work than a normal safety, but I like it. My only concern is shooting weak hand and bumping it on. Does yours go down far enough for the spring plunger to fit the divet on the safety?

 

I was going to shoot the open gun at the steel match yesterday, but my CMORE is having brightness issues. Plus I still have to tune my mags and practice with the load I decide on. Been running 115grs at 126PF. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ezra650 said:

I need to take some. I got it fitted. Took some more work than a normal safety, but I like it. My only concern is shooting weak hand and bumping it on. Does yours go down far enough for the spring plunger to fit the divet on the safety?

 

I was going to shoot the open gun at the steel match yesterday, but my CMORE is having brightness issues. Plus I still have to tune my mags and practice with the load I decide on. Been running 115grs at 126PF. 

Yes, you may have to trim your grip to make it go down all the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigboy69 said:

Yes, you may have to trim your grip to make it go down all the way.

Oh I had to trim the grip considerably just so it would allow free slide movement. It looks like it will hit the frame if it goes any lower though. Not the thumb rest, but the bottom of the safety where it "swoops". Anyway my CMORE needs work so while that's gone I'll do some more fitting with it. I'll put up pics in the gallery once everything is done and back together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Safety is fitted. Had to remove a considerable amount of grip material. The most time spent was sanding down the back of the safety, because of how low it swoops the back sticks out of the frame causing an uneven surface in the beavertail area. I'm very pleased with the thumb position. My grip is much more natural and comfortable now and I can reach the trigger comfortably at all times. I'm wishing now that it was an ambi safety for one reason. When shooting weak(left) hand the knuckle on my trigger finger can bump the safety up if I'm not careful. I think a stronger safety plunger/spring would help this. Mine is pretty wore out. Also it didn't take much lug filing for the safety to fit the litespeed sear I have installed.

 

Thanks all for the input and advice. 

20190524_195515_1559835271229_resized.jpg

20190426_073902_1559835272899_resized.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...