Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nickel Brass

Bmans45

8 minutes ago, Bmans45 said:

Do you have any problems with it ? 

NO,, I’ve loaded it in 9,38,357,9major.45 acp.

when I shot my 625, I used it all the time. 

It will split sometime, but I usually loose it before then.

Do I use it-yes.

Would I buy it -no.

It seems to me the most likely cases to be cracked at the hunndo are nickle ones.  And that is with only  ~5% of my 40's being nickle.  I'm sure a metallurgist could explain why.

Edited by MikeyScuba
grammar

No issues in 9 and 40 (only pistol cals I own/load).  I notice they seem to size slightly easier but don't last quite as long.

Wouldn't buy a batch of them but use them if I pick them up.

• 4 weeks later...

I always use nickel cases for major match ammo if possible. I "think" it has a slightly harder surface which has a lower coefficient of friction and might feed a little better...maybe...

I, too, have heard that nickel brass can feed better, not that I have issues with regular brass. [emoji16]

I'll use nickel brass for major match ammo or for a different load with the same bullet during load development so I can more easily tell them apart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I bought a large lot of brass and it had a fair amount of nickel brass in it. Do you guys reload nickel cases? 
I use only nickel brass for major matches. I like the lubricity it has. feeds smoothly

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I buy nickel 9mm cases cheap in bulk and shoot and and leave it most of the time. Except practice because that is just laziness and someone has to clean up after me. Cases split very frequent and shooting major I don’t load it more than once. It is slick which I would think helps feed and it’s pretty, and regularly available relatively cheap so I keep buying it. If it wasn’t all same headstamp I wouldn’t buy nickel because of how frequent I find cracked cases even after once fired. 

Edited by Shmella

I've read about increased incidence of splits with nickel cases, however I haven't experience this myself with reloading nickel 9mm and .40.  Nickel seems to run through the press easier, which leads me to believe it would feed slightly more smoothly (all other things being equal) than brass.  In either case (pun intended) both work fine for me.

Edited by muncie21

I specifically mark nickel as “match” ammo.  I load all my ammo the same way, “match” ammo signifies cases that I want to get rid off, i.e. cases I want to loose.

Too many split cases in nickel compared to brass.

BTW, I also mark as “match” ammo brass cases I have reloaded more than 4 or 5 times - I recycle my brass from my practice sessions and store these cases apart from the rest of my brass inventory.  So.......if you pick up brass at matches I shoot, you are picking up well worn brass....also the reason I don’t pick up brass at matches....

• 4 weeks later...

No! Send this brass to me immediately and I will dispose of it! It is horrible to shoot....just kidding. 

I shoot it a lot and have had no issues. The guys at my club must have got a bulk discount because I pick up a ton of it and reload it. It looks good for self defense loads too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:54 AM, Scott Steele said:

Yep but it don’t last as long as straight brass. Keep close eye on them. They seem to split at the mouth faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This