Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good training program for new shooter

BamaShooter88

25 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

first match. I need a good training program.

1.  Read the rules 3-4 times

2.  make sure you have all the required equipment (ears, eyes, holster, etc)

3.  notify RO/MD that you're NEW

4.  bring your gun in a case, and don't touch it until you get to the Safe Table (no ammo at the Safe Table).

5.  Once the gun is in your holster, don't touch it again until the RO tells you to

6.  Go slowly, deliberately and Be Safe - no 180's (or even 175's).  Do everything consciously

(don't flip the gun into the holster or subconsciously "hammer down" - think about every

step before you take it).

7.  When you get home, after your first match, think about a training program (I like Furrly's idea, a lot).

Oh, BTW, have fun, safely    :)   

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

How long have you been shooting in general?

Are you comfortable drawing your pistol from a holster?

How about reloads?

All of the above with finger and muzzle safety discipline?

I did my first competition in January. Of all stuff practiced and learned before hand, this is the stuff that really mattered. The shots were not all that difficult, at least not at the pace you will engage them in your first match.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4.  bring your gun in a case, and don't touch it until you get to the Safe Table (no ammo at the Safe Table).
5.  Once the gun is in your holster, don't touch it again until the RO tells you to
6.  Go slowly, deliberately and Be Safe - no 180's (or even 175's).  Do everything consciously
      (don't flip the gun into the holster or subconsciously "hammer down" - think about every

7.  When you get home, after your first match, think about a training program (I like Furrly's idea, a lot).

Oh, BTW, have fun, safely    [emoji4]   
And this!

36 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Oh, BTW, have fun, safely    :)   

Awesome thanks!

32 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

How long have you been shooting in general?

Are you comfortable drawing your pistol from a holster?

How about reloads?

All of the above with finger and muzzle safety discipline?

I did my first competition in January. Of all stuff practiced and learned before hand, this is the stuff that really mattered. The shots were not all that difficult, at least not at the pace you will engage them in your first match.

I have been shooting for 20+ years. I am also a Army vet. I have just never done any type of competition shooting.

I have been shooting for 20+ years. I am also a Army vet. I have just never done any type of competition shooting.
Awesome. You should be fine then.

As I said, I shot my first match in January. I shot my first pistol 3 years ago so I had a steep learning curve. I had a fantastic time at my first match. I read all the rules, several times, especially the safety rules.

Just take your time and listen to the RO's instructions. Take your time and have fun.

3 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

Awesome. You should be fine then.

As I said, I shot my first match in January. I shot my first pistol 3 years ago so I had a steep learning curve. I had a fantastic time at my first match. I read all the rules, several times, especially the safety rules.

Just take your time and listen to the RO's instructions. Take your time and have fun.

Yea that’s my plan. I’m very slow so I don’t get disqualified. My goal for my first match is to finish the match without disqualification or penalties. I have been practicing a lot the past couple of weeks but I don’t know the best ways to practice. I just do the same stuff over and over.

Yea that’s my plan. I’m very slow so I don’t get disqualified. My goal for my first match is to finish the match without disqualification or penalties. I have been practicing a lot the past couple of weeks but I don’t know the best ways to practice. I just do the same stuff over and over.
I follow the dry fire drills in Ben Stoegers dry fire book. I also do them in live fire.

26 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

Does it seem to help? Have you noticed improvements?

Yes, it did for me. I got his books and I’m really glad I bought them. Make sure you commit yourself in doing dry and Live Fire in consistent basis. I dry Fire 4-5 times a week and Live Fire once a week. I keep a log of my Live Fire exercises so I can see improvements.

Just be be honest to yourself when your doing the drills. Keep a log to see improvements. 

Does it seem to help? Have you noticed improvements?
Tremendous help. I would say that dry fire practice has done more to improve my shooting than live fire. Unless I have a range in my backyard and unlimited ammo, there is no way I can practice enough in live fire. Dry fire allows me to practice 4 or 5 times a week at home. I can focus on running specific drills to improve aspects of my shooting. Dry fire has even helped to learn to shoot with both eyes open. Pick up my sights much quicker. Other fundamentals.

Get dry fire reloaded follow the training guideline in the back of the book to a T. Push yourself non stop, get you par times fast, consistent and pushing eye speed. Don’t make dry fire boring, add in the mini drills. 

Use his live fire book skills and drills reloaded do the same for these in live fire. Also get his new book,  Breakthrough marksmanship. 

Its beneficial shooting at rcps,  as of right now they have 5 m class shooters in the match, and 1 a. In March they had 2 gm, handful of m and a. Squad with these guys, watch everything they do. Step back and analyze how they are stage planning then, executing their plan. Video them if they will let you, then get someone to video you. Study the difference, entries, exits, drop step, shuffle, ect. Practice your weaknesses a lot more than your strengths. Say they run a stage in 12 seconds and you run it in 16 seconds go back on your video and mentally cut your time to 11 seconds finding your mistakes.

Youre squadded with a m, he also designed the stages. Talk to him during stage reset/ to and from stages. 

20 minutes ago, George16 said:

Yes, it did for me. I got his books and I’m really glad I bought them. Make sure you commit yourself in doing dry and Live Fire in consistent basis. I dry Fire 4-5 times a week and Live Fire once a week. I keep a log of my Live Fire exercises so I can see improvements.

Just be be honest to yourself when your doing the drills. Keep a log to see improvements. 

How do you log them? With a shot timer and writing down the times?

22 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

Get dry fire reloaded follow the training guideline in the back of the book to a T. Push yourself non stop, get you par times fast, consistent and pushing eye speed. Don’t make dry fire boring, add in the mini drills. 

Use his live fire book skills and drills reloaded do the same for these in live fire. Also get his new book,  Breakthrough marksmanship. 

Its beneficial shooting at rcps,  as of right now they have 5 m class shooters in the match, and 1 a. In March they had 2 gm, handful of m and a. Squad with these guys, watch everything they do. Step back and analyze how they are stage planning then, executing their plan. Video them if they will let you, then get someone to video you. Study the difference, entries, exits, drop step, shuffle, ect. Practice your weaknesses a lot more than your strengths. Say they run a stage in 12 seconds and you run it in 16 seconds go back on your video and mentally cut your time to 11 seconds finding your mistakes.

Youre squadded with a m, he also designed the stages. Talk to him during stage reset/ to and from stages. 

Awesome! Thanks! Yea I picked a squad with the most higher classed shooters at the time I registered. Great info thanks!

24 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

Tremendous help. I would say that dry fire practice has done more to improve my shooting than live fire. Unless I have a range in my backyard and unlimited ammo, there is no way I can practice enough in live fire. Dry fire allows me to practice 4 or 5 times a week at home. I can focus on running specific drills to improve aspects of my shooting. Dry fire has even helped to learn to shoot with both eyes open. Pick up my sights much quicker. Other fundamentals.

Awesome!

3 hours ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I have my first match coming up. I need a good detailed training program. Any ideas? 

Welcome to the Sport and thank you for your Service. 

Be safe, ask questions, make friends and have fun, it's a Blast, ya gonna luv it. Let us know how your first Match went. :cheers: 

5 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

Welcome to the Sport and thank you for your Service. 

Be safe, ask questions, make friends and have fun, it's a Blast, ya gonna luv it. Let us know how your first Match went. :cheers: 

Thank you! I’m already loving it lol! I plan to get some video so everyone can give me tips.

1 hour ago, BamaShooter88 said:

How do you log them? With a shot timer and writing down the times?

I use a Pocket Pro 2 for dry and Live Fire. Then I write down the times on my iPad so I can make comparisons from previous drills or exercises and track my progress. Stoeger’s Dry Fire Reloaded has pages to write down your par times for each exercise/drill.

10 hours ago, George16 said:

I use a Pocket Pro 2 for dry and Live Fire. Then I write down the times on my iPad so I can make comparisons from previous drills or exercises and track my progress. Stoeger’s Dry Fire Reloaded has pages to write down your par times for each exercise/drill.

Ok thanks! That sounds very effective. I definitely need to get a timer

10 hours ago, Lastcat said:

Be safe, ask questions,

1.  Ask questions when the other shooter is NOT doing something important,

like getting ready to shoot the COF   (don't ask the same guy too many questions).

2.  Don't forget to pitch in and help tape and set steel.    :)