Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Open div mag rules?

Loudgp

IPSC Open div mag rules? what base pads can we run with the new gen 2 sti mags (9/38). or has anyone run without being over length... I dont have the mag jig to measure.. thanks In advance 

On 4/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, Loudgp said:

thanks.. just dont need them grabbing me at chrono or check... 

Absolutely get a gauge or find someone with a gauge.  Regardless of other people having used similar combos and passed.  

I don’t recommend using a gauge. The DAA version will give a false reading and cause unnecessary filing on your basepad.

All you need is a metal ruler. Stand it up in a flat surface. Stand the mag up with the ruler against the back of the mag. The top of the feed lips at the back of the mag can’t go lasts the 170.00mm mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Matt1 said:

I don’t recommend using a gauge. The DAA version will give a false reading and cause unnecessary filing on your basepad.

All you need is a metal ruler. Stand it up in a flat surface. Stand the mag up with the ruler against the back of the mag. The top of the feed lips at the back of the mag can’t go lasts the 170.00mm mark.

How are they going to measure at the match? If they use a gauge, which one(s) are officially recognized? If you measure in that way, you’re definitely good to go. If you measure differently, you risk potential issues that you may have to try to argue your way out of. 

I may be wrong, but I think certain mag gauges have been deemed to be the correct way to measure the mags. The problem is that the gauges can be inaccurate for certain mags. The rulebook always shows the measurement on the back wall of the mag from the base to the very back of the feed lips. unfortunately some of the gauges are angled at the top to conform with the angle of an ideal magazine. If your mag feed lips don't fit the angle of the gauge (are at a sharper upward angle) then it probably will not bottom in the gauge (the gauge width is assumed to be infinity). The rules allow for an alternative measurement with a ruler for different basepads but say nothing about the angle of the feed lips.

I guess we have to have a gauge to look official but a ruler should be the preferred method in my opinion.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:17 AM, Matt1 said:

The measurement procedure in the IPSC rulebook is with a ruler. Gauges are commonly used though. You can’t go wrong complying to the rules though.

At IPSC in Frostproof they used a guage.

At IPSC in Frostproof they used a guage.

Lots of people do. It’s not per the rule book though.

At the WS in France they used a gauge at the Pre-inspection table and a ruler at the actual inspection table.

21 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

Lots of people do. It’s not per the rule book though.

At the WS in France they used a gauge at the Pre-inspection table and a ruler at the actual inspection table.

Only 1 iPSC match a year here that I know of.

I am not worried about how they do it elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Matt1 said:

Do you don’t care if the rule book is followed?

Hint: measuring with a ruler may prevent you having to file on your mag base to make it for the gauge.

The guys running chrono are the ones using a guage, good to know the rule incase there is a problem,  but it is a once a year match that I really don't care about.

Guys go to chrono with a legal mag but use longer mags in the match, no one on the stages are checking.

43 minutes ago, bret said:

The guys running chrono are the ones using a guage, good to know the rule incase there is a problem,  but it is a once a year match that I really don't care about.

Guys go to chrono with a legal mag but use longer mags in the match, no one on the stages are checking.

So you know guys who are cheating?

5 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

So you know guys who are cheating?

Pretty easy to tell by looking at mags and when a guy says I like these mags because they hold 1 more round.

The RM needs to make sure people aren't cheating, it isn't up to the competitor's to point out the cheaters.

19 minutes ago, bret said:

Pretty easy to tell by looking at mags and when a guy says I like these mags because they hold 1 more round.

The RM Match Staff needs to make sure people aren't cheating, it isn't up to the competitor's to point out the cheaters but since they are the ones most affected by the cheating, there is absolutely no reason they should not point it out to the Match Staff. And there is 11.7.1 if you want to put money behind it.

FIFY

2 hours ago, bret said:

The RM needs to make sure people aren't cheating, it isn't up to the competitor's to point out the cheaters.

Chuck nailed it in the post above.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

FIFY