Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

short range prs match

fishhunter3

would like to host a local PRS style match but the range we have is only 300 yards max.  could a match be done with 1/3 size IPSC/IDPA steel targets to simulate longer distance. Have watched matches and have props or could easily build to set up 4 good stages just at shorter distance with smaller targets,   

Hoser had a match that was limited to 300y. Still lots of fun. Started prone with very small targets and worked up. First shot of the day was the smallest target for tie breaker. Then positional shooting and obstacles/barricade stuff.

I say 22rimfire, cause I would not attend a match at those ranges with my 260 or 308. Maybe 223 thou.

But 22rimfire is pretty done at 300, kinda like a precision match at 1200...and the fun factor would be hi with 22rf.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, RiggerJJ said:

I say 22rimfire, cause I would not attend a match at those ranges with my 260 or 308. Maybe 223 thou.

But 22rimfire is pretty done at 300, kinda like a precision match at 1200...and the fun factor would be hi with 22rf.

It is fun.  Two matches for $20.  Belly match in the morning and PRS at noon.

Close target 50 meters and far target 200 meters.  Movers, spinners, KYL, Hostage, ect.

You should come up.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:14 PM, RiggerJJ said:

22 rimfire...

I like the idea of a 22lr match. but most of the club members want to do a center fire match,  and it would be mostly members shooting, I think it would be fun and challenging with small targets and inventive shooting positions.

4 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

It is fun.  Two matches for $20.  Belly match in the morning and PRS at noon.

Close target 50 meters and far target 200 meters.  Movers, spinners, KYL, Hostage, ect.

You should come up.

I know, I know...so many things to do, so little time. Been meaning to thou!

RV trip to Anchorage this summer, 25 may thru 10 Aug...

I host a .22 match at my club, and people love it.  Just as above, spinners, KYL's and everything out to 225yards.   Meanest thing I have done so far is a KYL at 75-yards, and another at a little over 115 yards......kicker is you can only dial for range and hold over for the next!!!!

.22RF. It's not the Creedmore darlings of long range precision.

However, the lowly .22RF requires skill. It is precision oriented, has it's wind challenges, and matches can be put together at many more shooting ranges across the country.

It's not cheap. 50 rounds of Eley 10x could be around 22 bucks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We're trying to get an NRL22 club going locally. It allows for new shooters to enjoy the sport and experienced to get trigger time. So far the problem is finding a range that is willing to let us grow the user base.