Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads and movement

CE325

I have a hard time with standing reloads especially on a classifier.  About 2 out of 5 times I mess them up in dry fire. And pretty much every time I shoot a classifier with a standing reload.  I haven’t been shooting in over a year but in the last 2 weeks I shot 2 local matches.  The first I did good nonstanding reloads.  I nailed all my reloads on the move.   Last weekend I did a classifier and fumbled the reload just like the video. I’m like 50/50 at standing reloads. 

reloading while moving I have zero issues. Even just taking a couple steps and  reloading I have no issues. 

Here is a slo mo video of what I mean. 

and here is a couple videos of my last match. I feel like I move fast but in the videos I look slower.  As far as just getting around the stages. 

The video of the table start I had to keep a mag in my back pocket.  I wasn’t worried about the time it took to start. My main com

ncern was getting my hits cause I figured out my sights were off. 

This next video is where I found out how bad my sights were off. The stage is the same on both sides. The left is where I went first and missed the steel a lot but figured out where the bullet was going.  By the time I went to the right I had the sight set and nailed the steel and the last steel shot was about 20 yards.  Hit it first shot.   I’m a c class production shooter looking to make it to B this year

Edited by CE325

To improve reloads there are a few keys. I’m not an expert; I’m still working on improving mine. 

The advice you’ll hear from many people:

-Grip the mag with the index finger high and straight along the front of the magazine. 

-Angle the gun so the magwell points more   or less towards your mag pouches. You want to match the angle the mag will naturally come up at as you bring it up with your weak hand. 

-Look at the magwell as you reload. 

Different people will tell you different things about where you want the gun when your reload. As far as I can tell, with a magwell (Limited / Open /  maybe Single Stack) you want the gun as close to the firing position as you can get away with. Without a magwell (Production / Carry Optics), you have to drop the gun lower and angle it more. 

As as far as drills go, I like Steve Anderson’s Burkett Reloads and Pause and Effect drills in dry fire. 

You'll get many different kinds of suggestions here, that's for sure. This may turn into a 5 pager. 😐

This is my opinion and your mileage may vary. From what I see in your slo-mo vid. Do you see the magwell opening? Just need to see a small bit, once the mag has entered, then send it home with the palm of your hand, while looking up for next target.

Looks like the magwell opening is too far to your left and you are not able to see the opening. Also, get your palm ready to send it home sooner. For me, I try to get the magwell up and to the right a bit, so I can see the opening. Then index finger the mag. Once it hits the opening, I'll seat the mag with the palm. Seems your hand was turned over the top and not able to get your palm in the correct place. It takes practice, that's for sure. Keep at it. Hope this helps. Now prepare for the counter points. :eatdrink:

It is not uncommon for people who practice to nail their moving reloads and struggle with standing reloads (esp on classifiers). I believe this is probably because you are consciously thinking too much about the standing reload, whereas with the moving reload, you are just letting your subconscious do what you know how to do.

My standing reloads have become much more consistent since I stopped trying to force them. Most of my reload practice nowadays involves steve anderson's 'pause and effect' drill, where I try to get the mag up to the gun, looking at the magwell before a .7 second par time, and then on the beep, insert the mag, push the gun out and acquire the target all in one smooth motion. In a classifier reload, I just put seeing the magwell into my visualization, and let everything else happen subconsciously while I worry about watching the sights and gripping the gun.

My standing reloads have become much more consistent since I stopped trying to force them. Most of my reload practice nowadays involves steve anderson's 'pause and effect' drill, where I try to get the mag up to the gun, looking at the magwell before a .7 second par time, and then on the beep, insert the mag, push the gun out and acquire the target all in one smooth motion. In a classifier reload, I just put seeing the magwell into my visualization, and let everything else happen subconsciously while I worry about watching the sights and gripping the gun.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

It is not uncommon for people who practice to nail their moving reloads and struggle with standing reloads (esp on classifiers). I believe this is probably because you are consciously thinking too much about the standing reload, whereas with the moving reload, you are just letting your subconscious do what you know how to do.

👆 :cheers:

• 3 months later...

From the videos posted, it looks like you drop your pistol down to do a reload. For reloads, I generally teach my recruits to keep the gun up in front of the face. Partially a tactical decision for a police officer but it also allows for less travel of the gun from eye line (ultimately where the gun is going to end up). Also I teach the reload with the magazine first. Pull the magazine up out of the pouch and move it up to meet your eye line. Along that path is where you want your pistol to be waiting for the magazine. As far as when I shot USPSA, I tried to plan my reloads in a way that I could reload during movement as much as possible. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 9:37 AM, motosapiens said:

I agree

Steve showed me how to gain more speed by losing a lot of tension and the gun stays high/up the whole time.