Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Glock, CO build what should I know/have?

nick779

Im very seriously leaning towards a Gen 5 G34 MOS FS to jump into carry optics, but I have never owned a Glock or really followed their aftermarket.

So far, my list consists of:

DPP

TTI GM Spring kit - (Thinking 4.5# spring, CCI/Win primers)

Double Diamond SS or tungsten guide rod with an assortment of springs (13-15#)

Probably TTI Basepads

Do the MOS pistols come with the optic mounting plates?

Im avoiding buying an extended/skeleton striker because of the cost. Maybe down the road if I have issues. 

Anything else I should really look into or be aware of with this platform? I can eventually replace the stock sights, but that isnt high on my list. Also considering options for enhancing the factory grip.

Edited by nick779

Looks like your list is pretty good. Your MOS will come with plates for the popular red dots. If you get the 34 you’ll be able to dabble in production if you want, otherwise a 17 might be better. The longer radius doesn’t matter with a dot. Base pads check out Taran Tactical, as I think he makes the best pads out there. Easy on and off, last pretty much forever. 13 lb. springs are what most people run. Good luck.

I think that will get you off to a very good start. I like Dawson basepads. Another thing to consider are the 21 round Pmags. I have several and they run great and cost $15 apiece. 

23 minutes ago, rooster said:

Looks like your list is pretty good. Your MOS will come with plates for the popular red dots. If you get the 34 you’ll be able to dabble in production if you want, otherwise a 17 might be better. The longer radius doesn’t matter with a dot. Base pads check out Taran Tactical, as I think he makes the best pads out there. Easy on and off, last pretty much forever. 13 lb. springs are what most people run. Good luck.

I was considering the 17 for that exact reason, I shoot production now with a P10C and dont really mind it. The main reason I was looking towards the 34 was that most of the reloads I intend on buying are tested from a 4.75" barrel and only running 131PF. I figured the 17 would be cutting it close with a shorter barrel.

16 minutes ago, Novagunner said:

looks like you just need holster, belt and  mag pouches. For the mag extensions, I really like the TTI +5/6.

I already have a production rig, I would just need a holster shell.

Any suggestions on specific guide rods in either metal type?

Edited by nick779

Hello: The difference in loads between the G17 and G34 is only 3-4PF. So if you get 134PF from the G34, the G17 will be about 131PF. Glock tend to be faster than some other types of barrels as well. I like the G17 over the G34 for carry optics. Base pads that I like are the Arredondo and Zev ones since they are easier to remove. I have Dawson, TTI, TF and some others. Another option you could do is a G34 for Production and build another slide for Carry Optics. Thanks, Eric

I’ve been using the Jager stainless steel guide rods for my Glocks and have been happy. As stated above 13# is very common for spring weight. I’ve also used a Wolff 12# on the Jager heavy .270” guide rod and may actually prefer it to the 13# ISMI. 

I know I’m somewhat unique in this, but in my experience a 4.5# striker spring is only 100% with Federal  primers. **I’m using the 4.5# Wolff spring with a Johnny Glocks trigger kit** Most report success with the 4.5# spring and other primers but not here. 

Big “personal preference” disclaimer here: As far as mags, in my mind 1 TTI is all that’s necessary, then as many pmags as you see fit. I load my reload mag with TTI basepad to 22 for ease of seating (they’re reloadable with 23 but you have to be SUPER deliberate to ensure seating). You can buy ~3 complete 21 round pmags for the price of 1 extension. 

1 hour ago, Helios said:

I’ve been using the Jager stainless steel guide rods for my Glocks and have been happy. As stated above 13# is very common for spring weight. I’ve also used a Wolff 12# on the Jager heavy .270” guide rod and may actually prefer it to the 13# ISMI. 

I know I’m somewhat unique in this, but in my experience a 4.5# striker spring is only 100% with Federal  primers. **I’m using the 4.5# Wolff spring with a Johnny Glocks trigger kit** Most report success with the 4.5# spring and other primers but not here. 

Big “personal preference” disclaimer here: As far as mags, in my mind 1 TTI is all that’s necessary, then as many pmags as you see fit. I load my reload mag with TTI basepad to 22 for ease of seating (they’re reloadable with 23 but you have to be SUPER deliberate to ensure seating). You can buy ~3 complete 21 round pmags for the price of 1 extension. 

Appreciate the line on the Pmags, ill definitely consider buying a few as backups.

I was reading about some issues with running a #13 ISMI and an optic where the slide was having issues going into battery, so I was researching that still.

Hopefully I dont have the striker issues with primers, I dont really want to commit to Federal, but it will depend on what happens and where my trigger pull lands after the TTI GM kit with or without their striker spring.

Video explains issue, not really the guide rod, but the spring it ships with.

Edited by nick779

Sounds like a good list.  I just finished a CO 34 gen 5. I'm down to a 11lb Wolff recoil spring with Jager heavy guide rod. However I did lighten the slide 1.5 oz and I'm running 147gr at 133pf. So with a 13# should be what you need.

I also have the Johnny Glock trigger. I could not get it to work 100% of the time with the 4.5# striker spring (non federal primers). I ended up lighting the striker. Which for whatever reason, lightened the trigger pull and now works 100% with both the 4# and 4.5# striker spring. That's with s&b, cci, and win primers. So maybe the different striker profile of the gen 5 doesn't like the 4.5#. I also reworked the Johnny glock trigger to eliminate some of the pre and over travel that it had. And yes all safety work! Actually there was quite a bit that was left to be desired from the johnny glock trigger. But in his defense he did not have the gun and it is a pre set drop in kit!

I went with MBX base pads but if I had to do over, i would go with TTI. I also went with a KKM match barrel. The factory barrel shot well but I couldn't load 147rn bullets longer than 1.10 oal with the factory barrel due the short throat.

20190408_095301

Edited by Stymie12000

I should have been clear in my previous post that my guns are gen 4, not 5. Interesting that the gen 5s have so many dynamics that are different than previous generations. It seems like they’ve perhaps tried to tighten the guns up a bit. I have a couple Zev slides which are tighter than factory slides and do better with a slightly heavier spring (13# ISMI instead of the 12# Wolff). 

Edited by Helios
Added clarification that my guns are gen 4 not gen 5.

1 hour ago, Stymie12000 said:

Sounds like a good list.  I just finished a CO 34 gen 5. I'm down to a 11lb Wolff recoil spring with Jager heavy guide rod. However I did lighten the slide 1.5 oz and I'm running 147gr at 133pf. So with a 13# should be what you need.

I also have the Johnny Glock trigger. I could not get it to work 100% of the time with the 4.5# striker spring (non federal primers). I ended up lighting the striker. Which for whatever reason, lightened the trigger pull and now works 100% with both the 4# and 4.5# striker spring. That's with s&b, cci, and win primers. So maybe the different striker profile of the gen 5 doesn't like the 4.5#. I also reworked the Johnny glock trigger to eliminate some of the pre and over travel that it had. And yes all safety work! Actually there was quite a bit that was left to be desired from the johnny glock trigger. But in his defense he did not have the gun and it is a pre set drop in kit!

I went with MBX base pads but if I had to do over, i would go with TTI. I also went with a KKM match barrel. The factory barrel shot well but I couldn't load 147rn bullets longer than 1.10 oal with the factory barrel due the short throat.

20190408_095301

You lightened the striker yourself?

Sad to hear about the short throat, I was hoping to avoid that going away from cz.

15 minutes ago, nick779 said:

You lightened the striker yourself?

Sad to hear about the short throat, I was hoping to avoid that going away from cz.

Yes, I lightened it myself. But I have the proper tools! I also did the slide milling!

I think you've got the ideal setup going. I would stick with the 34 and avoid chopping up the slide. When you lighten the slide it can cycle faster but it will be a lot more violent. The gun will feel like it has less recoil and your dot will probably last longer with a stock slide. 

My experience with my 34 before and after slide lightening.  Before it was very sluggish and slow. Recoil was ok.

After lightening,  the slide moves way faster and gun cycles faster. If anything the gun recoils better. Isn't violent at all. I'm running 11lb recoil spring with a load of 147gr with 3.0gr SP. Gets 133pf. Slide now weighs 12.5oz with dot!

Keep in mind this is a 34 with a dot. The dot adds weight. so lightening the slide gets the slide weight close to factory but with the dot!

I also have an open gun (2011) with a 10oz slide with a slide mounted dot. Never had an issue with the dot. And the open gun is way more violent running major than my CO 34!

This is my personal experience and 2 cents. 

17 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

My experience with my 34 before and after slide lightening.  Before it was very sluggish and slow. Recoil was ok.

After lightening,  the slide moves way faster and gun cycles faster. If anything the gun recoils better. Isn't violent at all. I'm running 11lb recoil spring with a load of 147gr with 3.0gr SP. Gets 133pf. Slide now weighs 12.5oz with dot!

Keep in mind this is a 34 with a dot. The dot adds weight. so lightening the slide gets the slide weight close to factory but with the dot!

I also have an open gun (2011) with a 10oz slide with a slide mounted dot. Never had an issue with the dot. And the open gun is way more violent running major than my CO 34!

This is my personal experience and 2 cents. 

Ill definitely keep that in mind. Im still basically a USPSA Noob, and my fast shooting skills have quite a way to go, so I would think ill be ok for now with slower cycling. Down the road though, ill potentially get the slide lightened.

I was also considering the 17, but I think the extra weight and length of the barrel will help balance it a bit better with the 34 and I can always go back to Prod if CO isnt my thing.

Edited by nick779

2 hours ago, nick779 said:

Ill definitely keep that in mind. Im still basically a USPSA Noob, and my fast shooting skills have quite a way to go, so I would think ill be ok for now with slower cycling. Down the road though, ill potentially get the slide lightened.

I was also considering the 17, but I think the extra weight and length of the barrel will help balance it a bit better with the 34 and I can always go back to Prod if CO isnt my thing.

I agree, the 34 without slide lightening is a very capable setup and lightening isnt needed to be competitive. I just personally like how the gun cycles with the lighter slide. Keep in mind I've been shooting open with a custom 2011 for the past couple of years. So I'm used to a fast cycling setup. 

Your list is a good one and should serve you well. Btw I agree with your 34 vs 17 thinking. I too like the 34 better than my 17 even for CO. Many may disagree but I feel the 34 is better balanced for me. 

On 4/12/2019 at 1:58 PM, Stymie12000 said:

I agree, the 34 without slide lightening is a very capable setup and lightening isnt needed to be competitive. I just personally like how the gun cycles with the lighter slide. Keep in mind I've been shooting open with a custom 2011 for the past couple of years. So I'm used to a fast cycling setup. 

Your list is a good one and should serve you well. Btw I agree with your 34 vs 17 thinking. I too like the 34 better than my 17 even for CO. Many may disagree but I feel the 34 is better balanced for me. 

Just dawned on me I didnt really look for a holster. I know RHT and BT makes them, what do you use?

17 hours ago, rooster said:

RHT, all the way. His double layered kydex is awesome. Get the BOSS  holster hangar and your good to go for a lifetime.

Off holster topic, but I saw you suggest this striker a while back.

Just in case I decide to go down that road at some point, is that striker still going strong?

27 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: You could use a Lightening Strike striker as well. I have been using the titanium strikers for years. The Zev one is a little more extended and lightened. This is with a 2-3lb trigger setup. Thanks, Eric

Please remind us, Eric, what exactly is your complete set-up?