Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ignition Mayhem

Acer2428

Finally got out to practice with my worked-over stock 2 and had issues igniting Wolf primers with the 13lb. spring, not surprisingly. I switched to ammo using WSP's and still had no luck . I read to use the stock FP as opposed to the Henning LW I was using, so I swapped it out and had better luck, but still inconsistent even in SA. 

I ordered a 14lb. PD hammer spring, and just happened to throw a Wolf spring in there too. I put the PD spring in first, but it appears the spring is too long and gets to full compression before the hammer sets in single action. I uninstalled and re-installed it twice, same result. I assume this is due to inconsistent hole depth on these frames? Can I cut a coil or am I back to a 13 lb spring?

The Wolf drops in fine and has a little more stack in DA right at the end, but otherwise seems fine. Haven't had a chance to check consistency yet, but between full weight polished FP and 14lb. Wolf spring I'm hoping for the best. Anything I need to/should check? The 13 lb. spring gives me a VERY light pull and I'd prefer to run if I could get away with it short of going to Federal primers. 

A few, but not most. I inspected for high primers, but all seemed below flush to the naked eye. I had a few wolf ones that didn't go off in my MPX either, but all of the winny ones went bang. I brought some factory ammo to test that theory too, but then realized it was Syntech, so Federal primers, so the theory remains untested. 

will 14lb wolff spring light off cci primers or need something heavier?

if the stock hammer spring 16lb - is there notable difference with the xtreme medium 15.5lb and stock?

THANKS!

Check to see if firing pin block is dragging/have you shot it without firing pin block?

You used a 13 lb patriot defense spring and it worked but a 14 lb PD didn't?

Edited by Polymer

6 hours ago, Fo0 said:

will 14lb wolff spring light off cci primers or need something heavier?

if the stock hammer spring 16lb - is there notable difference with the xtreme medium 15.5lb and stock?

THANKS!

After trying stock, wolff, PD, and xtreme, I'm using the xtreme medium

the xtreme medium is a lot lighter than the stock spring (which I think is actually 18lb?), and it does not stack like stock.

it is not that much heavier than the PD 15.5, but offered a lot more ignition reliability.

for me, the range of wolff springs stacked a ton.

You may still have inconsistencies with CCI primers and a 14# spring, 

I bought the PD hammer spring kit, 10# up to 15.5#, with the 10 pound spring it made for a very nice trigger, but could not even set off federal primers consistently with a titan hammer and FPB removed, ended up putting the stock one in again for now(16#) just so I could light off everything, didn’t seem to change the trigger pull weight all that much with all the other things I’ve done to the gun. In fact after I put in the PD sear spring and extreme sear Iam now down to my lowest trigger pull yet at 2.5# with the stock hammer spring. 

I polished the snot out of my FPB, but I cannot tell/see any wear on it. I have yet to try the 14 lb. spring, but hoping that does the trick. Didn't know if one of the heavier/extended FP options was a common solution.

If the 14lb spring doesn't work I'll pull the FPB and check function. Thanks for the suggestion. 

58 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

I polished the snot out of my FPB, but I cannot tell/see any wear on it. I have yet to try the 14 lb. spring, but hoping that does the trick. Didn't know if one of the heavier/extended FP options was a common solution.

If the 14lb spring doesn't work I'll pull the FPB and check function. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Try the pencil test, put a pencil down the barrel with the eraser sitting against the breech face, pull the trigger and see how high it flies with and without the FPB

I'll admit to loving Wolff (PMC/Tula) primers for my rifles, but they need to be seated with some "crush" to be reliable. In a handgun as finicky as a Tangfolio can be, I suspect they can be very entertaining. I'm not saying they won't work, but even a CCI can be a bear when you are loading with a progressive press in my Limited Custom. My SQD-B does fine with Winchester and Federal primers, but I haven't even considered trying Wolff primers (until now) in a semiauto.

Wolff primers in my rifles have always given fantastic ES/SD numbers and very good accuracy, assuming it seat them hard.

S2 Xtreme AU here. My experience.

All Xtreme parts and medium springs it lights up everything.

Completely stock and trigger gets nice and smooth after use.

100% reliability. I see no reason to change anything on it.

@Acer2428

With the gun heavily polished and everything perfectly tuned;

A 13lb spring sets off Winchester primers.

A 15.5lb PD sets off CCIs.

The 16lb Xtreme Medium hammer spring will light off anything.

...if they primers are buried. Remember, flush primers are high. Gotta be .004” deep, minimum.

All of that presumes a perfectly polished action, and flawless function of the firing pin block, etc.

If you haven’t spent at leash 6 hours (yes, I mean that sincerely) polishing every internal component until it looks like wet chrome? Consider your gun stock, and increase the required hammer spring in the above chart by one notch. 

I eventually settled on a beautifully polished gun (at least 10 hours worth of time working internals with a dremel) and bumped back up to the Xtreme Medium hammer spring.

As @goshimu said, that results in a really damn shootable combination which eats anything. Nothing wrong with a 7 pound double action that’s smooth as glass and chews through Tula primers. 👍

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Tried the pencil test, no change w/ FPB removed. I'm guessing a combo of primers not 110% set (reloading on a LnL AP) and the lighter spring. I spent a TON of time polishing the snot out of everything, so no worries there. Will try out the 14 lb spring in live fire.

Just thought it was odd the PD 14lb spring wouldn't allow the hammer to fully cock before hitting full compression. 

I had a similar problem with my Stock 2.  I use WW primers, 15.5 pound hammer spring.  I do have to clip 1 to 2 coils off so the spring compresses, but I'm not going for the super light trigger pull.  I want a smooth and reliable ignition system.  The heavier spring actually feels better to me.  I gave up on a light trigger ....Zombywoof is correct!  I kinda compare it to finding the perfect 9mm load....It will drive you nuts....find a decent load (124's in my case) and stick with it!

While you have the Tanfo field stripped get the barrel reamed. Patriot Defense did both of mine.  You'll be happy you did.

Seat your primers deep.  This is kinda a big deal with my 9mm loads.  

On 4/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, Acer2428 said:

Tried the pencil test, no change w/ FPB removed. I'm guessing a combo of primers not 110% set (reloading on a LnL AP) and the lighter spring. I spent a TON of time polishing the snot out of everything, so no worries there. Will try out the 14 lb spring in live fire.

Just thought it was odd the PD 14lb spring wouldn't allow the hammer to fully cock before hitting full compression. 

I also load on a hornady lnl ap and found I had to tape a large washer to the base where the primer seater contacts the frame. This allows me to apply more force when seating the primer. I can get pictures later.

I only use Winchester primers for matches. I have used tula, wolf and S&B but only for practice just to get rid of them.

40 minutes ago, je85 said:

I also load on a hornady lnl ap and found I had to tape a large washer to the base where the primer seater contacts the frame. This allows me to apply more force when seating the primer. I can get pictures later.

I only use Winchester primers for matches. I have used tula, wolf and S&B but only for practice just to get rid of them.

A picture would be great, thank you. That's my plan as well. I have about 3k worth of Wolf loaded up, which has been fine in my MPX (I'm still competing in PCC this year) but I had 3 FTF's last practice session w/ decent hits, so Winny for matches only for me.

Regarding the ignition problem with all tanfoglio are the following through my own experience

1)  Primers need to be seated deep , (this is main problem )

2)  Firing pin block safety touching the firing pin itself (try removing the fps and see if you have any light strikes if yes it's problem no1)

3)  Light springs with hard primers

With 15lb springs hammer it should pop every hard primer so before spending money buying stuff you dont need just do these steps

I shoot a stock 2 for 5 years with factory parts, no extreme,  no domina and trigger is super fine everytime, but mostly rule 1 applies

Finally got out to practice with my worked-over stock 2 and had issues igniting Wolf primers with the 13lb. spring, not surprisingly. I switched to ammo using WSP's and still had no luck . I read to use the stock FP as opposed to the Henning LW I was using, so I swapped it out and had better luck, but still inconsistent even in SA. 

I ordered a 14lb. PD hammer spring, and just happened to throw a Wolf spring in there too. I put the PD spring in first, but it appears the spring is too long and gets to full compression before the hammer sets in single action. I uninstalled and re-installed it twice, same result. I assume this is due to inconsistent hole depth on these frames? Can I cut a coil or am I back to a 13 lb spring?

The Wolf drops in fine and has a little more stack in DA right at the end, but otherwise seems fine. Haven't had a chance to check consistency yet, but between full weight polished FP and 14lb. Wolf spring I'm hoping for the best. Anything I need to/should check? The 13 lb. spring gives me a VERY light pull and I'd prefer to run if I could get away with it short of going to Federal primers. 
@acer2428

I ordered a few PD 14# hammer springs and all springs are different lengths....thisnsi the inaccuracy between spring manufacturing. You must cut a coil or 2 off the length and it should not coil bind on you. With that being said cutting the coil WILL NOT make it a 13# spring. It still acts like a 14#. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A picture would be great, thank you. That's my plan as well. I have about 3k worth of Wolf loaded up, which has been fine in my MPX (I'm still competing in PCC this year) but I had 3 FTF's last practice session w/ decent hits, so Winny for matches only for me.
I would get a grade 8 washer.
I've been using a fender washer and turn it every few thousand rounds.
When seating the primer I give the handle two good pushes for extra insurance.
If I do all of the above I crush federal primers if I'm not careful.f03d1e8f3979f01f08350f407eb9a3b5.jpg2ad7ac5a69d71049cd8006bec368d440.jpg

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk