Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22/45 and M&P 15-22 upgrades for steel challenge

22/45 Volquartson trigger kit about 130-140 buck.

Easy to install, trigger will come in at about 2lbs + or-

Good optic or if shooting irons get the new ruger rear sight if it didn't come with.

It's a flat serrated blade which is much easier to shoot quickly and accurately.

Comp is questionable, does help timers pick up 22's.  Looks cool .  Don't know if they help actually keep the muzzle down during the shot!

15-22 no clue LOL

For the 22/45, all you really need are these parts.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Volquartsen-Firearms-Target-Sear-for-Ruger-MKII™-MKIII™-MKIII™-2245™_p_267.html

https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Hammer-Bushing-for-Ruger®-Mark-III™-and-2245™-Pistols_p_9.html

And some extra mags.

Those two parts (which will cost you a whopping $35 together) will make the 22/45 absolutely competitive in SC without doing anything else. While the TK or Volquartsen trigger is nice, I feel that it is not necessary after you add the two parts above. 

As for the dot, drive out the rear sight and put a Burris FF3 in the dovetail. It will get the dot lower to the barrel than a railed sight.

This^^^^^.  I would not waste the money on the Volquartsen trigger stuff.  In my experience, there is enough variation in the 22/45 and the Volquartsen stuff that what you end up with is a crap shoot.  One friend dropped the V stuff in and got a literally perfect trigger.  No creep, clean break and repeatable.  Another friend tried it and loved it, so he bought the kit and installed it.  Crap.  The trigger was worse than original.  Two others tried the kit with varying results.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

For the 22/45, all you really need are these parts.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Volquartsen-Firearms-Target-Sear-for-Ruger-MKII™-MKIII™-MKIII™-2245™_p_267.html

https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Hammer-Bushing-for-Ruger®-Mark-III™-and-2245™-Pistols_p_9.html

And some extra mags.

Those two parts (which will cost you a whopping $35 together) will make the 22/45 absolutely competitive in SC without doing anything else. While the TK or Volquartsen trigger is nice, I feel that it is not necessary after you add the two parts above. 

As for the dot, drive out the rear sight and put a Burris FF3 in the dovetail. It will get the dot lower to the barrel than a railed sight.

Ok thanks! What exactly do these parts do? Just upgrade the trigger?

The sear is a slicker, polished version (with a different break) of the sear that came with your pistol. The steel hammer bushing removes the magazine break, allows the pistol to fire without a mag inserted, and removes trigger creep, it also smooths out the trigger even more. I'm pretty sure TK makes stuff for the MKIV as well. If you do nothing else, I would suggest the hammer bushing...it makes that much of a difference.

I put those parts in a brand new MKIII. The factory trigger made the gun almost un-shootable. I never put a gauge on it, but I would bet it was somewhere in the 12-15lb range. With those 2 parts, it dropped the trigger to probably 2lbs, and crisp. I did try the trigger after installing the steel hammer bushing, and that was a fantastic improvement, but it still had some grittiness...the new sear got rid of that.

There is a great post filled with information regarding the 15-22 in the Steel shooting portion of this forum. I would definitely check it out. As far as the 22/45 I think there pretty much ready to go as is. I have one stock and one with VQ trigger parts. The gun with the VQ trigger does feel better but my times are pretty much identical with either. Try some different set ups the guys are using at a match and see if one makes a difference for you. Good luck.