Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PCC FTE/double feeds

As the title says, does anyone else experience FTE/double feeds with the Ruger PC carbine? The malfunction is virtually the same every time with the spent round either being vertical and holding the bolt open preventing the live round from feeding or the spent case gets rammed into the front of the election port mangling the brass.

It seems this is not an entirely uncommon problem but what confuses me is that it wasn't present, then came on all of a sudden, then seemed to have gotten better after another 50-100 rounds. This is extremely irritating and does not appear magazine related. I have read on some other forums about people claiming it's related to the ejector, others saying it's the extractor, but I'm not sure what to blame or how to definitively fix the problem without shipping the entire thing to Ruger which I don't want to do....

The first thing I would check are the two screws holding the upper to the lower. The torque speck is 65 inch pounds. The next change ammo if that doesn't work.

Then call Ruger for a mailing label they built it and expect the customer to do there QC for them let them fix it.

So I had this issue with both PC carbines I have........what I did was tweak the ejector up a little so that it just rubs on the bolt.....not to much, but a little. This in turn cause a little issue in that the ejector now was catching in the split between the bolt and bolt carrier (yes, it is 2 pieces). I took and polished a radius on the 2 sharp corners and it seems to have fixed the issue as I've not had any feed issues or stove pipes since.

For the record......I run factory blazer brass or aluminum 124gr ammo or PMC gold 124gr ammo

PS.......while a recoil spring could be an issue, it is not in the case of the PC Carbine, the issue is that the case was not getting a good hit on the ejector due to it being too low. There can be about 3 reasons why stovepipes happen......extractor tension, too much spring weight (not hitting the ejector with enough power), or the ejector is not in a good position (in the case of the PC Carbine, it's the ejector being too low)

I've attached a pic showing the slight rub marks on the bolt/bolt carrier and the polishing I did at the split.

NOTE: YOU CAN NOW SEE WHERE THE EJECTOR RUBS ON THE BOLT.....NOW WE KNOW WE HAVE THE EJECTOR AS HIGH AS IT CAN GO

204615456_rugerejectionfix.jpg.17a7ecaed9bac1af34b6ed572e49beb0.jpg

Edited by TRUBL