Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Sensitivity

Gregg K

I'm going to start testing some of my different timers to see if one is better about picking up un compensated .22 rimfire gun.

Has anyone noticed a particular timer being consistently better than another given both were adjusted for max sensitivity?

I'll set them up on a stand so the proximity remains a constant.

Most timers are good enough if the RO does a good job but was wanting to know if a different timer would make the job easier or more consistent since we cant always control what help shows up.

I don't want to argue the use or non use of compensators, just the best timer.

I'm going to start testing some of my different timers to see if one is better about picking up un compensated .22 rimfire gun.
Has anyone noticed a particular timer being consistently better than another given both were adjusted for max sensitivity?
I'll set them up on a stand so the proximity remains a constant.

Most timers are good enough if the RO does a good job but was wanting to know if a different timer would make the job easier or more consistent since we cant always control what help shows up.
I don't want to argue the use or non use of compensators, just the best timer.

Get the AMG Lab timer.

It’s easy to crank up the sensitivity so it will pick up dry fire.

The Pocket Pro and Pocket Pro II are consistently the best timers I use.  The 7000 is fine for centerfire, but not as good for rimfire.  In some bays, if you crank the sensitivity enough to register uncomp'd rimfire, you risk getting echos.  You have to count shots and then compare to be sure.

I have 2 Pocket Pro II timers and 2 7000 timers. I usually use the Pocket Pro II and have found that my older Pocket Pro II with the lower frequency beeper is better at picking up the shots. They had to tweak the programing some on the newer models because of the higher frequency beeper creating more sound pressure and the timer was basically hearing itself beep and recording a shot.

https://www.amg-lab.com/

The new AMG Commander timer has extremely sensitive capabilities...  The sensitivity can be adjusted to pick up anything from an AR-15 rifle...  to rimfire...  to a CO2 pistol...  to a finger snap...  Click the above link and watch the video...  It's only a minute long.

It also has user controls to control the echo...  and connects to PractiScore with BlueTooth to download Steel Challenge string times...  We use it for our Steel Challenge  matches every month...  It also transfers each shot time to PractiScore and PractiScore Competitor for splits and transition times...  and to graph your shots against other shooters.

I ordered one of the amg-lab units to try out. I wasn't sure how many of these are in use out in the field. I usually don't jump on any version 1.0 of anything but I'm so tired of not having a timer suited for rimfire that I'm taking a chance on them and hope they have great success. Just being able to bluetooth the scores to the scorekeeper and let him verify the shot count will be great. Let the RO concentrate on safety and the scorekeeper can do their job. Didn't get out to test today due to rain so I completed my taxes and bought a new timer. At least I got something done. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

I ordered one of the amg-lab units to try out. I wasn't sure how many of these are in use out in the field. I usually don't jump on any version 1.0 of anything but I'm so tired of not having a timer suited for rimfire that I'm taking a chance on them and hope they have great success. Just being able to bluetooth the scores to the scorekeeper and let him verify the shot count will be great. Let the RO concentrate on safety and the scorekeeper can do their job. Didn't get out to test today due to rain so I completed my taxes and bought a new timer. At least I got something done. 🙂

You will be happy with it...  The owner/designer is currently building each timer himself...  That's why he has the 30 to 60 day wait for a new timer, but it is well worth it...

It has many more features than I mentioned...  It's also a great practice and dry fire timer...  I use the presets...  1 for timing matches...  2 for live fire practice...  and 3 for dry fire.

It has many more features than I mentioned...  It's also a great practice and dry fire timer...  I use the presets...  1 for timing matches...  2 for live fire practice...  and 3 for dry fire.

Indeed. So far, I have presets for Live:Outdoor:Pistol, Live:Outdoor:PCC, Live:Outdoor:SoloPractice, and Dry:SoloPractice. I haven’t been to an indoor range yet. ;-)

I have had it since the first production batch. I was using a Pocket Pro and PP II. This is better in quality, configurability, and including when getting wet.

2 hours ago, candiru said:

I was using a Pocket Pro and PP II. This is better in quality, configurability, and including when getting wet.

I have a lot of hours behind a Pocket Pro II and my main complaint is it can't survive in the damp much less any rain or a sprinkle. Got to put the Pocket Pro in a zip lock the first sign of any moisture.

Edited by Gregg K

2 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Another vote for the Pocket Pro II. Be sure and set the sensitivity towards the "cowboy" end of the range and you'll be fine.

We bump them to the max setting (25) and still doesn't always catch rifles with SV ammo unless you get it way out there. I would prefer to be able to record shots no mater what ammo, comp or no comp without having to get the timer way out there and be a distraction to the shooter

I have a lot of hours behind a Pocket Pro II and my main complaint is it can't survive in the damp much less any rain or a sprinkle. Got to put the Pocket Pro in a zip lock the first sign of any moisture.

I’ve used the AMG in some nasty weather this winter. So far, so good.

A buddy asked me to run shooters with his new AMG timer.  It works very well and is super easy to read.  He said it is sensitive enough to pick up dry fire clicks.  I especially like the review functions.  You can go backwards one at a time, or jump right back to the beginning.

The AMG-Labs time is my timer of choice. I've used one for several months and currently have 5 or 6 on hand. As soon as I can get another 5 they will become our traveling timers. We just concluded the US Steel Shoot and we used them for select squads there. We let the RO's that I knew had hands on experience use them for their squad. I showed it's capabilities to a number of the super squad competitors and they were all very impressed with it. IMO it's the best timer available today. It's tight integration with PractiScore is a HUGE plus as well. I just wish he had a warehouse full of them. I could have sold 50 of them this past week if I had them on hand. 

We were playing around with one again at the shoot this Sunday.  If you set it to max sensitivity, you can pick up shots from 20 yards away.  Set normally, there were zero problems picking up uncompensated 22s shooting standard velocity.  BTW, my old eyes love the big readout.

5 hours ago, ZackJones said:

The AMG-Labs time is my timer of choice. I've used one for several months and currently have 5 or 6 on hand. As soon as I can get another 5 they will become our traveling timers. We just concluded the US Steel Shoot and we used them for select squads there. We let the RO's that I knew had hands on experience use them for their squad.

Zack, strangely, I don't see any shot times data posted for that match.

34 minutes ago, euxx said:

Zack, strangely, I don't see any shot times data posted for that match.

I don't want to hijack this thread to discuss it. I'll email you some specific information for where you should see them.

You don't need higher sensitivity to pick up an uncompensated 22.  Middle of the road or slightly less seems to be fine.  Plus, you don't have to hold it out in front of the shooter like you do with some others.

15 hours ago, Gregg K said:

When set on the higher sensitivity for picking up .22 rifles, how is the AMG on ignoring the shots in a neighboring bay?

1 hour ago, Gregg K said:

An uncompensated .22 rifle with SV ammo has been the hardest. If the AMG has no problem with that it will be great.

We have thick concrete  as a roof  in our bays with railroad ties along the sides...  It's like shooting in a huge tunnel...  The end bays have a shorter wall between them so we can run double wide USPSA stages...  Our worst case scenario is to have a .22 rimfire rifle in one of those bays with a short wall and an Open shooter in the bay next to it...  You likely won't have this issue.

What we do is grab the time (via BlueTooth) as soon as the shooter finishes a string...  Then, if a shot from the other bay is picked up, it won't matter because the accurate time is already in the tablet...  If the shooter decides to take another shot (unusual in Steel Challenge), just press the timer icon in PractiScore again and grab his current time...  PractiScore picks up the current time from the timer it is synced to every time you press the timer button.

You can also press one of the three buttons on the face of an AMG timer to freeze the time at the current mark...  We don't do this because we don't have any trouble picking up the correct time.

In PractiScore app for Android there is also an option to drop extra shots. Tap on the "Time" label to see list of shots loaded from the timer and then tap on the shot to use it as stage time.

Bonus. Similarly - long tap opens a history of previously loaded strings (I think there's 10 or 15). You can tap on it to apply it to current scoring screen.