Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strategies for increasing double tap accuracy and speed?

matteekay

Hey spinnygunners,

I've been shooting wheelies for a couple years now and decided to try and improve in earnest (finally). Obviously a lot of what we shoot is double-taps on paper and that's also one of the things that's harder with a revo than a bottom feeder, so I was wondering if anyone had specific drills or strategies they use to increase speed and accuracy?

Shooting as fast as I can, I can get both shots into a 6" target at 13 yards, but they tend to both be low and not exactly impressive groups. I suppose I can just keep doing it until I improve on trigger pull and I learn where the sights should be when I break the second shot but I figured smarter people than me might have better approaches...

Any help appreciated!

Thank you everyone! I'll start working some of these into my range time. 

12 hours ago, PatJones said:

No double taps. 2 aimed shots.

Interesting. So you get a full sight picture before you break each shot?

Thank you everyone! I'll start working some of these into my range time. 

Yes, a sight picture for every shot. It's not always equal height-equal light, but it's a sight picture.

At 3 yards I may only need to see the entire gun inside the a zone. Out to 5 yards, I put the front sight in the A. Out to 7, having the fiber in the rear notch and on the target may be enough.

At some point you do need a more traditional sight picture. All of the distances I quoted are for a revolver, the distances are a little further out with a bottom feeder. You need to play with this stuff in practice and figure out what you can get away with. I have a lot of friends that over-aim, and I'm sure I still do on some targets.

9 hours ago, matteekay said:

Yes, it's two full sight pictures, but given proper technique the gun should return to the same exact spot after breaking the first shot.

I concur with the two aimed shots approach, and I've tried both.

As an example, I shot an IDPA match yesterday as a season warm up.  Stages where I purposefully aimed each shot were 1 point down, and usually about as fast as the stage winning semi auto. Those where I pushed the speed were 2-5 points down.  Raw times were fine, but lots of those hits were 1-2" outside of the down 0.  Not worth the marginal increase in split time.  If you do the math, your penalty is worth about 10x your savings in split time for IDPA or ICORE.  Obviously that varies based upon the shooter, but gives a reference value.  I'm assuming you can hit a well aimed shot with .30 splits, and get loose with shot placement with .20 splits.

What works for me is to take a 10" plate and start at about 30 yards.  Draw and fire two shots at the plate, only go as fast as you think you can guarantee a hit.  When you can empty a cylinder without missing.  Bring the plate up 5 yards.  Repeat this until you are shooting at 10 yards.  By the time you get to the 10 yard line,  I'd bet your splits will be much faster than you expected.  After you successfully complete the 10 yard drill, move it back to 30 and start over.  This will teach you trigger discipline at various distances and is easy to quantify where your skills need improving.

What Alec said.  I’ve been listening to That Shooting Show podcast and Anderson states deal with your biggest time first.  It’s not your splits.  Movement from arrays to the next array are by far the biggest #.  A really good friend is obsessed with splits.  Saving .1 seconds for more mikes and deltas?

I need to finish reading Anderson’s book Get to Work and... get to work.

Edited by MikeyScuba

The biggest difference between fast splits with a Revolver vs a Semi-Auto is you have no lee way with the shot.  At closer ranges with a Semi-Auto you can trigger the shot and verify the sight picture needed and if it's not there you can take an extra shot, of course SS doesn't give you but 1 extra but it's still an extra.  With a Revolver and an 8 round position you have no extra shots, so you need to refine the sight picture just a tad more at any given range.

After years of just trying to 'shoot faster' I am now just starting to really try to analyze different metrics on the total hit factor of stage.  I'm trying to measure transition/acquisition times between close open targets and between distant/danger targets, average step time, stationary and moving reloads as well as splits.  For me the killer is still time per step, I'm looking at an average of about 1 step every 0.5 seconds, so focusing on picking up .05 seconds on a split time is lost in the noise.  Once you maximize all the other skills, the split time will be important, but for me, there are other areas that need (alot of) work.

Edited by 1911Prof

On 4/5/2019 at 3:21 PM, matteekay said:

Hey spinnygunners,

I've been shooting wheelies for a couple years now and decided to try and improve in earnest (finally). Obviously a lot of what we shoot is double-taps on paper and that's also one of the things that's harder with a revo than a bottom feeder, so I was wondering if anyone had specific drills or strategies they use to increase speed and accuracy?

Shooting as fast as I can, I can get both shots into a 6" target at 13 yards, but they tend to both be low and not exactly impressive groups. I suppose I can just keep doing it until I improve on trigger pull and I learn where the sights should be when I break the second shot but I figured smarter people than me might have better approaches...

Any help appreciated!

What are your splits now? At 5, 10, 15? What about just as fast as you can with no target?

Really good advice in this thread - thank you. 

I'm still going to work on splits - I feel like they could be faster than they are without getting sloppy. I'll start looking at other parts of my game, too. I know for sure that my draw is slow, but I think I could find room for improvement in target acquisition and reloads, too.

3 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I shoot my gun with a super loose grip. Faster splits, and tighter groups.

Super loose as in both hands barely gripping or super loose as the strong hand is loose and the support hand is gripping as hard as it can?

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Super loose as in both hands barely gripping or super loose as the strong hand is loose and the support hand is gripping as hard as it can?

both. I can only try to grip hard when I focus on gripping hard, but when I'm actually shooting I forget and go back to being loose. Or I tense up and the second shot starts going low left so then I relax again and the holes come back together.

I'm a believer in training grip hard so I don't have to grip like crazy when I'm shooting.

I like the rolling thunder deadlift handle, but I do find I need to take a break every few weeks.  I also use a thick foam handle on my dumbells when I train.  I also use  other Ironmind tools I've collected over the years.

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

both. I can only try to grip hard when I focus on gripping hard, but when I'm actually shooting I forget and go back to being loose. Or I tense up and the second shot starts going low left so then I relax again and the holes come back together.

Horses for courses.  I shoot a revo fastest and most accurately when I grip the s#!t out of it.

Pachmayr Gripper Pro grips help.  The gun is stuck in my hands.

Edited by elguapo

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, MikeyScuba said:

A really good friend is obsessed with splits.  Saving .1 seconds for more mikes and deltas?

Ya that's the definition of dumb: penny wise and pound foolish

Edited by elguapo

On 4/6/2019 at 5:21 AM, matteekay said:

Hey spinnygunners,

Any help appreciated!

I think if you slow shots tight group (lower than 6") that meen you have accurate and  already know sightpicture  sightcontrol.

Only increase speed shot with splittime with bill drill. "No double tap but Control pair" 

When you shoot bill drill you must shooting as fast as you can and see your front sight a every shot before shoot.

What you want to do is grab the revolver with your strong hand and grip it as hard as possible. Then wrap your weak hand around there and grip it as hard as possible also!

Seriously.  A loose grip never works in this game, unless you want to stay in C class forever.  The good shooters always use a very hard hold on the gun.  Always.  

What you want to do is grab the revolver with your strong hand and grip it as hard as possible. Then wrap your weak hand around there and grip it as hard as possible also!

Seriously.  A loose grip never works in this game, unless you want to stay in C class forever.  The good shooters always use a very hard hold on the gun.  Always.  

This.

Thermobollocks once told me to grab the gun like it knocked up my little sister.

2 hours ago, Carmoney said:

I mean I guess. I did just make GM.

I’m just holding tight grip not hard but I’m focus to lock my wrist and elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk