Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely E2 Aggressive Grip

taxil343

On 5/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, sauza45 said:

I have the Cheely E2 and had a hard time reaching the mag release without adjusting my grip. I put an Ed Brown mag release button on and it works perfect.

Good to know, thanks!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/19/2019 at 5:47 PM, zzt said:

Steve did not want to make changes without having the grip at the shop.  He told me to file it down until it fit.  He also said if it didn't fit, he'dd take it back for a full refund.

I spent about four minutes filing and trying.  Surprisingly little material had to be removed, and it was not from the top.  The grip hits the holster where the flat and the chamfer meet, so removing some material from that point did the trick.  Attached is a picture.  You do not have to remove that much to get it to work.

100_1217.JPG

Steve - one question, after you filed it down so the Cheely grip fit, do you have any idea if a standard STI DVC style plastic grip still fits or would that be "loose" now ? 

14 hours ago, workingmanjeff said:

Steve - one question, after you filed it down so the Cheely grip fit, do you have any idea if a standard STI DVC style plastic grip still fits or would that be "loose" now ? 

It would not be loose.  The top of the block is not supposed to touch anything on the gun.  There has to be enough clearance to allow the front of the trigger guard to depress the arm far enough to allow the locking lever to be engaged. The relief  I filed was required because the e2 grip is fatter at the back of the trigger guard than other grips.  It hit the top of the block.  Before filing the gun was held securely for drawing, but did not go in far enough to allow the locking lever to engage.

In the unlocked position the gun is actually held in place by the magnets the frame rests on.  There is nothing  to get loose.   I don't have a DVC grip, but I do have two guns with STI grips.  One is an unmodified STI.  The other has been extensively reduced and stippled.  Both fit fine.  So does a 1911 Open gun on a JEM frame I built for SCSA.

When I proposed this mod to Steve Bender he agreed it would have no effect on other grips.  He ordered e2 grips from Cheely and plans to incorporate the mod in future holsters.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

Any mag recommendations for the E2?  Or mags to stay away from?

My MBX mags with MBX guts work flawlessly.  So do the STI Gen2 mags with either STI or TTI guts.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

My MBX mags with MBX guts work flawlessly.  So do the STI Gen2 mags with either STI or TTI guts.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, sauza45 said:

Sti gen 2 mags with tti pads. If you use the 140 you will need the tti pads. The 170 you can use any pads.

And Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, clw42 said:

I got to hold an Atlas Chaos with the PT Evo grip this weekend.  It felt great, but I could barely reach the mag release.  He didn't have a button on it, so it was just the drilled and tapped mag release.  Thinking the E2 may solve that.  However, he also had the Limcat magwell, and that thing is amazing.  Can't put that on the E2 from what I understand, is that correct?

I have a Limcat on my Cheely E2 aggressive grip right now. I used a little bit of epoxy to fill the front of the magwell (not the grip!) and used some strips of thin kydex as spacers on the sides to remove the side to side play.

HOWEVER, Cheely is only a week or two away from releasing his new magwell that achieves what the Limcat does! Check out his facebook page to see what I'm talking about. It looks pretty amazing.

I'm loving my E2 Aggressive. FIts my hand extremely well.

14 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

I have a Limcat on my Cheely E2 aggressive grip right now. I used a little bit of epoxy to fill the front of the magwell (not the grip!) and used some strips of thin kydex as spacers on the sides to remove the side to side play.

HOWEVER, Cheely is only a week or two away from releasing his new magwell that achieves what the Limcat does! Check out his facebook page to see what I'm talking about. It looks pretty amazing.

I'm loving my E2 Aggressive. FIts my hand extremely well.

Looks sweet!!  Thanks for the heads up!

On 5/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, clw42 said:

Okay, thanks.  I'll likely move to a 2011 (from a Czechmate) at some point, so I was just curious.  Kind of sucks that the E2 won't fit the Everglades MRH though.  I'd really like to move to that holster.

As I recall, I only needed to do some minor fitting of the mechanism to get the Everglades MRH to lock.  Not a big deal if you're handy.

Re. the Cheely E2,  At least one open shooter gives my grip a feel up at every match.  And for the bean counters, Cheely includes the mag release and mag well.  Compared to the cost of a plastic grip, mag well, and mag catch,  it's really not a big step up in money for a build.

2 hours ago, blackfatbob said:

As I recall, I only needed to do some minor fitting of the mechanism to get the Everglades MRH to lock.  Not a big deal if you're handy.

Re. the Cheely E2,  At least one open shooter gives my grip a feel up at every match.  And for the bean counters, Cheely includes the mag release and mag well.  Compared to the cost of a plastic grip, mag well, and mag catch,  it's really not a big step up in money for a build.

Thanks, that's been confirmed now.  I also saw that Cheely is coming out with a Limcat type magwell which should be out in a few weeks.

11 hours ago, Loudgp said:

So will it fit an sti frame ? I have an edge that is in need of a new grip... 

STI has changed their frame  dimensions so often there is no way of knowing.  I have a JEM frame machined for a standard polymer grip and the e2 went on without requiring any fitting at all.  This same grip would not fit on my early CM prefix serial number STI frame.  Material removal would be required.

I put my e2 on a 2018 DVC Open and it was a drop in.

Have been experiencing mag over-insertion problems that never existed prior to the e2 grip install. Waiting for a new ejector and will try to profile it to give it a bit more mag clearance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Im just gonna double post like a rookie. 

I played with one and they look well built. Im just leery of being locked into proprietary magwells. Also like to hear how much fitting these need compared to an Evo.

Edited by praetorian97

14 hours ago, praetorian97 said:

Yeah Im just gonna double post like a rookie. 

I played with one and they look well built. Im just leery of being locked into proprietary magwells. Also like to hear how much fitting these need compared to an Evo.

mine didnt need any fitting ( i have 2 of them on STI frames). I just upgraded the magwells to the new XL magwell which is similar in function to the Limcats. So far so good. 

2 hours ago, beta1759 said:

mine didnt need any fitting ( i have 2 of them on STI frames). I just upgraded the magwells to the new XL magwell which is similar in function to the Limcats. So far so good. 

The Limcat is steel and the Cheely is delrin.  Do you see the Delrin being a "problem" for lack of a better word?  Looked good on the FB video he posted.  Can you post any pics of the bottom?

Will the XL grip take an STI 126 mag with Dawson base pad. I'm in a ban state and use STI 10 round mags with Dawson Tool-less base pads. They fit my ICE magwell nice. How will this fit the new grip and magwell.

Thanks