Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stock II Extreme for Carry Optics

Well, this is the second non CZ pistol I have owned in quite sometime. All I have done is about 35 rounds out of to function test it before I start in on making it for Carry Optics. 

Seems like an 8lb recoil works well with 150gr subs, 115gr store bought ran pretty well too, only one FT Feed, chalked it up to new gun and all. 

That said, we are going to focus on weight. 

I also picked up a Delta Point Pro we are going to stick on top. 
If my scales were off, this thing stock with mag is 44.5 oz. 
That leaves me .5 oz to play with and a 2 oz optic. 

I assume the rear adj sight is close to 2 oz? I dont know, 
Front cant weigh crap, but it will come off too. 

What else can be done to reduce about 2 oz? 

Also, I have some new hammer springs coming in to try and get the god awful 8+ lb DA reduced. SA is almost 4, which sucks too. 
We need the DA to sub 5 and the SA as low as we can.....2 lbs would be about perfect. 

Are you saying it’s 44.5 without the optic?

The rear adjustable sight weighs next to nothing. Front is a couple grams. You will need to lighten the slide most likely. 

1 hour ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

Well, this is the second non CZ pistol I have owned in quite sometime. All I have done is about 35 rounds out of to function test it before I start in on making it for Carry Optics. 

Seems like an 8lb recoil works well with 150gr subs, 115gr store bought ran pretty well too, only one FT Feed, chalked it up to new gun and all. 

That said, we are going to focus on weight. 

I also picked up a Delta Point Pro we are going to stick on top. 
If my scales were off, this thing stock with mag is 44.5 oz. 
That leaves me .5 oz to play with and a 2 oz optic. 

I assume the rear adj sight is close to 2 oz? I dont know, 
Front cant weigh crap, but it will come off too. 

What else can be done to reduce about 2 oz? 

Also, I have some new hammer springs coming in to try and get the god awful 8+ lb DA reduced. SA is almost 4, which sucks too. 
We need the DA to sub 5 and the SA as low as we can.....2 lbs would be about perfect. 

Adjustable rear sight weighs - 1 oz

Steel guide rod .80 oz

Patriot lightweight guide rod  .20 oz

Milling for optic should remove a minimum of - .80-1 oz

grams follower/spring and Henning extended base + .70 oz

What grips on the gun when you weighed it?

If aluminum 

Lok lightweight grips would remove - .5-1.5 oz

Stock gun with DPP and extended bases should come in around 47.2 oz

- 1 oz sight

-.60 oz guide rod

-.80 oz milling

-.50 oz lok grips

Total weight after mods around 44.3 oz and possibly lighter

For trigger job

13-14 lb PD hammer springs winchester and federal primers only for 13lb

1 piece sear

reduced power sear spring and trigger return spring

18 lb henning plunger spring

extended henning firing pin

PD optimized firing pin spring

A little bit of polishing.

For trigger job
13-14 lb PD hammer springs winchester and federal primers only for 13lb
1 piece sear
reduced power sear spring and trigger return spring
18 lb henning plunger spring
extended henning firing pin
PD optimized firing pin spring

A little bit of polishing.

Je85 is right 5.5# DA and sub 2# SA with just these parts. I have spent hundreds on hammers and spring and stuff to find out that's all that was needed. Dont waste your time with the TITAN hammer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

Je85 is right 5.5# DA and sub 2# SA with just these parts. I have spent hundreds on hammers and spring and stuff to find out that's all that was needed. Dont waste your time with the TITAN hammer.

This.

Install a single piece sear and otherwise focus on polishing INTENSIVELY and re-springing.

35 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

PD BOLO

No. The bolo deletes some pretravel which doesn’t really matter although it feels sexy... but it also causes your hammer to travel less before it falls in DA. There are ways to remedy this but it requires time and patience, and probably wrecking the first BOLO to see how far back you can get the hammer travel before you’ve removed too much material.

The bolo is a solution to a nonexistent problem. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of pretravel, it doesn’t affect your shooting speed or accuracy.

6 minutes ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

when running lighter hammer springs etc., do I need an extended FP like I do in my CZs? 

No. Run the factory firing pin. If you go back through the forum with the search I spent two full days testing every combination of spring and extended vs stock firing pin.

The aftermarket pins launch a pencil slightly higher but show zero actual improvement in setting off brand X primer with brand Y firing pin.

Run the stock one.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This.

Install a single piece sear and otherwise focus on polishing INTENSIVELY and re-springing.

No. The bolo deletes some pretravel which doesn’t really matter although it feels sexy... but it also causes your hammer to travel less before it falls in DA. There are ways to remedy this but it requires time and patience, and probably wrecking the first BOLO to see how far back you can get the hammer travel before you’ve removed too much material.

The bolo is a solution to a nonexistent problem. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of pretravel, it doesn’t affect your shooting speed or accuracy.

what is the difference in your suggestions to lower trigger pull weight

Weight removal:

Patriot Defense lightweight guide rod.

Lighter grip panels. SSI Scales, or one of the plastic options out there. There are several good threads on grip panels showing sizes and weights.

Search for “tanfoglio tuning” on YouTube. I did a 4 part video series on teardown, polishing, and reassembly.

5 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

what is the difference in your suggestions to lower trigger pull weight

The bolo doesn’t drop your pull weight.

It shortens the trigger travel.

Reduced pull weight comes from springs and polishing.

You can get a Stock II down to 6.0-6.5 & 2.5-3.0 pretty consistently with all factory internals (including the two piece sear) with springs, a lot of patience, and a dremel.

Guys were doing it for a full decade before shiny hammers and special disconnectors started appearing.

Nationals and the World Shoot have been won a dozen times cumulatively with guns set up just like that.

These guns don’t need a lot of work. We just like to tinker and tune them because we enjoy the challenge of seeing how far we can get things.

Warning to the OP; CZ triggers are usually better than Tanfo ones with a similar amount of work invested. The much longer hammer spring has a lot to do with that. But +/- one pound of pull weight only matters when testing it on your workbench. A clean crisp 2.8lb single action and glass smooth 6.5lb DA will shoot just as fast and true as a 5/2 trigger does.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

The bolo doesn’t drop your pull weight.

It shortens the trigger travel.

Reduced pull weight comes from springs and polishing.

You can get a Stock II down to 6.0-6.5 & 2.5-3.0 pretty consistently with all factory internals (including the two piece sear) with springs, a lot of patience, and a dremel.

yes, I know. I am saying is you suggesting to lower trigger pull weight like it is a great benefit but reducing the travel of the trigger is not worthy. You state one " doesn’t really matter although it feels sexy" and trigger pull weight is different. 

2 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

yes, I know. I am saying is you suggesting to lower trigger pull weight like it is a great benefit but reducing the travel of the trigger is not worthy.

That is exactly what I am saying.

Shortening the travel isn’t actually an advantage on match day. It just feels better on the workbench.

Otherwise the guns with zero overtravel and zero pretravel would be winning matches due to the inherent advantage.

They’re not. It doesn’t work that way.

That is exactly what I am saying.

Shortening the travel isn’t actually an advantage on match day. It just feels better on the workbench.

Otherwise the guns with zero overtravel and zero pretravel would be winning matches due to the inherent advantage.

They’re not. It doesn’t work that way.

I would agree 100 percent....took the over travel screw out completely and took more off the BOLO to induce more pretravel. I personally like about 3/16" of pretravel.

how much trigger weight was removed polishing all those parts - 4oz? a gunsmith can fit a BOLO easily
Like everyone is saying here brother 13-14# PD hammer Spring, reduced power Sear spring, reduced power trigger return spring, one piece sear, and a bunch polishing will get you a solid competitive crisp 5.5-6# DA and 2-3# crisp SA

You all answered some questions I had and assumed the correct answers....

I am ok with the longish pull on DA, the 8+ lbs, hell no! 
I should have a bunch of springs in today so it will get torn apart and polished up tonight.  

I gotta weigh a bunch of parts to see what I can do to shave off an ounce or two without having to start milling the slide (outside of the DPP). 

I will take pics of what weighs how much as I do this. May help the next idiot like me that wants to do things the hard way 🤣 

1 hour ago, Fo0 said:

how much trigger weight was removed polishing all those parts - 4oz? a gunsmith can fit a BOLO easily

Speaking generally?

You‘ll go from 12.5 down to 7-8 with springs, depending how light hammer spring is.

From 7-8 down to 5-6.0 pounds with polishing.

The bolo is easy to fit. It just doesn’t do anything except shorten the single action pretravel. If you like that? That’s *great!* Enjoy it. But it isn’t necessary to win matches with a Tanfo. I know of at least 8 GMs who shred in the overalls with a Stock 2, and none of them run a bolo.

The bolo doesn’t reduce your trigger pull in most guns. Sometimes a little, usually none.

I have this attitude because I consider BOLO & Titan hammer to be the one upgrade to my Stock 3 that I wish I hadn’t done, and I’m not shy about admitting it. Like @JayTac556 I would have added some pretravel back into the bolo setup if I had kept the gun.

1 hour ago, Fo0 said:

I guess a lot of manufacture flaws when adding pre and over travel screws to factory triggers

Well, the vast majority of guys in this Tanfoglio group took the overtravel screw out and threw it away. :)