Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help a new shooter decide on what pistol to get and which division to shoot.


BamaShooter88
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok so I’m a new shooter. I need help deciding on which division of USPSA to stick to as a beginner until I get my skills up. I am really intrigued by limited. I think I would love that division. I’m on a tight budget though. So I can’t afford pricey ammo. I don’t reload yet. I want to shoot a 9mm minor. So I was thinking production but I hate the idea of only having 10 rounds. I need to decide on which division so I can get a good gun for that division. Which division do you recommend production or limited? Also which gun do you recommend for that division that is $1k or less. Thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

canik tp9sfx with viper red dot, <$700.  super cheap 9mm ammo.  load up your mags in carry optics.  have fun.

 

if you do want to load up mags without a dot, glock 35 in limited, factory .40 ammo.  factory ammo will be hotter than most handloads others use that just make power factor, so you will have a recoil disadvantage.  atlanta arms sells lower recoil ammo but more $$ than factory .40.

 

but yeah a glock 17 or 34 in production is a great and lower cost entry option.  so you have an extra mag change or two or three vs other divisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Production. Glock 34. Just change the sights.

 

^This, make sure its a MOS version so you can shoot Carry Optics down the road if you want. 

 

You can always look at the CZ P10F/P09 or the CZ 75 SP-01 as well if you want something a little different. Loads of options out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

Ok so I’m a new shooter. I need help deciding on which division of USPSA to stick to as a beginner until I get my skills up. I am really intrigued by limited. I think I would love that division. I’m on a tight budget though. So I can’t afford pricey ammo. I don’t reload yet. I want to shoot a 9mm minor. So I was thinking production but I hate the idea of only having 10 rounds. I need to decide on which division so I can get a good gun for that division. Which division do you recommend production or limited? Also which gun do you recommend for that division that is $1k or less. Thanks! 

 

If you're intrigued by Limited then there's your answer.  Take whatever 9mm gun you have, get a few mags, use your factory ammo, and for the first few months just shoot Limited Minor and enjoy.  Don't bother about buying all the pricey mag extensions and all that stuff just yet.  Shoot Limited Minor, load your mags out to capacity, and concentrate on safety, getting your hits, stage breakdown, etc.  If you try Production right off the bat and your skill set isn't quite up to it you might find yourself doing a lot of standing reloads on stages, etc.  Think about Limited Minor, load those mags out, and shoot away.  You can attack a stage with Production in mind and change a mag moving between each array like Production but you'll have plenty of ammo on-board in case an array like a Texas Star causes you to miss a lot. 

 

After a few matches and feeling your way around somewhat, if you and your budget are still wanting to remain with 9mm minor then Production is where you'll be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BJB said:

 

If you're intrigued by Limited then there's your answer.  Take whatever 9mm gun you have, get a few mags, use your factory ammo, and for the first few months just shoot Limited Minor and enjoy. 

 

^^^^   Exactly     ^^^^^

 

When I started, 30 years ago, I started with my Browning Hi-Power (P35) with a 13-round 9mm mag.

 

I had a blast shooting that gun with factory ammo.

 

Made a mistake, and bought a 1911 .45, and reloading equipment.

 

Looking back on it, I would have been better off (IMHO) staying with the BHP 9mm.

 

Now, I'm on to OPEN    :surprise:     and wouldn't trade that for the world.

 

But, if you don't plan on making a large investment in this sport, there are a LOT

of ADVANTAGES to shooting 9mm minor in Limited.   Have fun, until you feel

that you would like to move to another gun.     :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started in Production because my brain thought that's where a stock 9mm gun with store-bought ammo should go. The positive: I learned reloads! When I got a .40, I went to Limited and wished I'd done that sooner. Another vote for Limited for the OP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would start with production and learn how to break down a stage with less ammo.  You'll learn to be more disciplined with your ammo vs starting off with 20+ rounds and putting 3 shots on a target to get 2 hits.  And as Mcfoto mentioned, you'll learn to reload in production division.

 

I also started with a Glock 34.  If you stick with the sport you'll end up with a bunch of different guns for different divisions.  It's part of the fun.

USPSA shooters are generally friendly and accommodating people so you should be able to try a variety of fellow shooters' guns before purchasing anything.

 

Real world anecdote - years ago when I switched from Production division to Limited, I found myself doing more spraying & praying than calling my shots.  I switched to revolver division for 6 months and learned to break down stages with only 6 rounds and became far more disciplined with my ammo since I had only 6 rounds vs 23.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BamaShooter88 said:

Ok so I’m a new shooter. I need help deciding on which division of USPSA to stick to as a beginner until I get my skills up. I am really intrigued by limited. I think I would love that division. I’m on a tight budget though. So I can’t afford pricey ammo. I don’t reload yet. I want to shoot a 9mm minor. So I was thinking production but I hate the idea of only having 10 rounds. I need to decide on which division so I can get a good gun for that division. Which division do you recommend production or limited? Also which gun do you recommend for that division that is $1k or less. Thanks! 

Do you have a uspsa legal gun now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BJB said:

 

If you're intrigued by Limited then there's your answer.  Take whatever 9mm gun you have, get a few mags, use your factory ammo, and for the first few months just shoot Limited Minor and enjoy.  Don't bother about buying all the pricey mag extensions and all that stuff just yet.  Shoot Limited Minor, load your mags out to capacity, and concentrate on safety, getting your hits, stage breakdown, etc.  If you try Production right off the bat and your skill set isn't quite up to it you might find yourself doing a lot of standing reloads on stages, etc.  Think about Limited Minor, load those mags out, and shoot away.  You can attack a stage with Production in mind and change a mag moving between each array like Production but you'll have plenty of ammo on-board in case an array like a Texas Star causes you to miss a lot. 

 

After a few matches and feeling your way around somewhat, if you and your budget are still wanting to remain with 9mm minor then Production is where you'll be. 

This is exactly what I was leaning towards. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a bad idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

^^^^   Exactly     ^^^^^

 

When I started, 30 years ago, I started with my Browning Hi-Power (P35) with a 13-round 9mm mag.

 

I had a blast shooting that gun with factory ammo.

 

Made a mistake, and bought a 1911 .45, and reloading equipment.

 

Looking back on it, I would have been better off (IMHO) staying with the BHP 9mm.

 

Now, I'm on to OPEN    :surprise:     and wouldn't trade that for the world.

 

But, if you don't plan on making a large investment in this sport, there are a LOT

of ADVANTAGES to shooting 9mm minor in Limited.   Have fun, until you feel

that you would like to move to another gun.     :) 

I plan to shoot open eventually. That looks the most fun to me. I’m a vet who loves John wick lol. But I need to get the skills up before I make that investment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I have a Glock 19 and waiting to pull the trigger on a competition gun. Trying to decide which to get.

 

You mentioned budget is also a concern for you initially.  With that in mind and since you currently have a G19, consider a holster compatible with a G34 and consider getting several fullsize Glock mags & mag pouches to start out with.  Your G19 can run the fullsize mags & ride in the G34 holster for now.  Later, and at your convenience, you can up your game by investing in the G34 when it suites you and you'll already have gear ready to run it with no extra outlay of cash.  Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I have a Glock 19 and waiting to pull the trigger on a competition gun. Trying to decide which to get.

So assuming you like glocks, i agree with most here to shoot what you  have for a few months. Then if you  still like glocks and still want to shoot limited,  don't waste money on a 34. Get a 22 or 35 and reloader. You can find 22 and square deals pretty cheap,  then as the budget allows you can upgrade the 22 or just  go with the 35. If you like limited,  don't mess with the 34, minor will just piss you off in the end. 

 

If you decide you like dots then the mos 17/34 is gtg.

 

But yes shoot limited minor with what you have for a while,  then you will have a better grasp of what you want.  You  might decide you don't want a glock, who knows. Dumping money in anything right now is probably not the best way to go.  Good luck and have fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Production. Glock 34. Just change the sights.

 

👆 this. 

 

Cheap, factory minor ammo and can be used as Limited Minor. Getting started in USPSA is a giant step. Once you get a few matches down, keep the G34 or upgrade if possible.

 

I wish we all had buckets and buckets of $$$$. Buy ever gun needed, plus backups. Tons of ammo. Then maybe a Chauffeur to drive us to the Matches 😛. And a Chef to make us breakfast, lunch and diner. Then a Gunsmith to tune and clean our guns, then a Expert Reloader...if only 🤔. "Show me the Money". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
If you're intrigued by Limited then there's your answer.  Take whatever 9mm gun you have, get a few mags, use your factory ammo, and for the first few months just shoot Limited Minor and enjoy.  Don't bother about buying all the pricey mag extensions and all that stuff just yet.  Shoot Limited Minor, load your mags out to capacity, and concentrate on safety, getting your hits, stage breakdown, etc.  If you try Production right off the bat and your skill set isn't quite up to it you might find yourself doing a lot of standing reloads on stages, etc.  Think about Limited Minor, load those mags out, and shoot away.  You can attack a stage with Production in mind and change a mag moving between each array like Production but you'll have plenty of ammo on-board in case an array like a Texas Star causes you to miss a lot. 
 
After a few matches and feeling your way around somewhat, if you and your budget are still wanting to remain with 9mm minor then Production is where you'll be. 


This is exactly what I did. I wanted to shoot Limited when I first started. I had a RIA in 9mm already so I shot Limited minor my first season until I could afford to have my 2011 built. Shooting Limited minor allowed me to focus on safety, learning the rules, learning the game, stage planning, etc, etc. It also allowed me to save money by not worrying about buying mag extensions. Plus, the same belt, mag pouches worked for both so I saved a little there.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RJH said:

So assuming you like glocks, i agree with most here to shoot what you  have for a few months. Then if you  still like glocks and still want to shoot limited,  don't waste money on a 34. Get a 22 or 35 and reloader. You can find 22 and square deals pretty cheap,  then as the budget allows you can upgrade the 22 or just  go with the 35. If you like limited,  don't mess with the 34, minor will just piss you off in the end. 

 

If you decide you like dots then the mos 17/34 is gtg.

 

But yes shoot limited minor with what you have for a while,  then you will have a better grasp of what you want.  You  might decide you don't want a glock, who knows. Dumping money in anything right now is probably not the best way to go.  Good luck and have fun.

Awesome! Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started in Prod with a Glock 34 MOS. Would be a good starting point as you can play in Prod, Lim, or CO. I never tried it in Limited as minor scoring shreds you there. After I started running open I just have the 34'to play with in CO occasionally. 

 

Personally, I would get some spare mags, rig, etc, and run what you have for the time being. Take some time, make sure you're going to stick with it, and make an informed decision on a gun later. Exercise some patience. Even after just a few months you'll have a much better idea of the direction you want to go and time / $$$ you're willing to invest. Also will give you time to keep your eyes open for a deal on a good used gun. 

 

More importantly if you haven't already, make a dry fire routine and start practicing. Early is much better than later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’re crazy if you do anything other than show up at a match with your current Glock 19 and shoot for a couple of months.

 

(Crazy like an idiot; most of us ran out and bought tons of the wrong gear before our first match. I did!)

 

Grab four G17 mags, since most G19 guys have a few, right? And three cheap mag pouches. Bring 250-300 rounds of 9mm to the range and whatever decent gun belt and holster you currently have.

 

Go shoot in Limited minor. Learn the sport. As soon as you ask guys about guns for ____ division, they’ll all offer to let you try theirs. We’re all gear nerds eager to share.

 

If you decide to stay Glock and do wind up loving Limited, you’ll wind up with a tuned up Glock 35 with some weight added eventually.

 

But don’t rush to make the purchases of a belt, pouches and holsters, gun, mags, extensions all right up front. Production or Carry Optics might very well turn out to be where you want to play.

 

You’re about to hit a match up where all of the products you’ve only seen in catalogs will be there to see and feel in person.

 

No one buys a car without test driving it, after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, BJB said:

Take whatever 9mm gun you have,

 

They ought to include a tattoo of that with your membership.

You have a Glock 19, shoot the Glock 19. 

I presume that is your defense weapon; shooting it a lot in matches will be good practice.

Once you are SURE you like the game, a G34 would make sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

I started in Prod with a Glock 34 MOS. Would be a good starting point as you can play in Prod, Lim, or CO. I never tried it in Limited as minor scoring shreds you there. After I started running open I just have the 34'to play with in CO occasionally. 

 

Personally, I would get some spare mags, rig, etc, and run what you have for the time being. Take some time, make sure you're going to stick with it, and make an informed decision on a gun later. Exercise some patience. Even after just a few months you'll have a much better idea of the direction you want to go and time / $$$ you're willing to invest. Also will give you time to keep your eyes open for a deal on a good used gun. 

 

More importantly if you haven't already, make a dry fire routine and start practicing. Early is much better than later. 

Yea this is exactly what I’m doing. I was just wanting some experienced opinions on a good metal framed SA limited gun that isn’t $3k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’re crazy if you do anything other than show up at a match with your current Glock 19 and shoot for a couple of months.

 

(Crazy like an idiot; most of us ran out and bought tons of the wrong gear before our first match. I did!)

 

Grab four G17 mags, since most G19 guys have a few, right? And three cheap mag pouches. Bring 250-300 rounds of 9mm to the range and whatever decent gun belt and holster you currently have.

 

Go shoot in Limited minor. Learn the sport. As soon as you ask guys about guns for ____ division, they’ll all offer to let you try theirs. We’re all gear nerds eager to share.

 

If you decide to stay Glock and do wind up loving Limited, you’ll wind up with a tuned up Glock 35 with some weight added eventually.

 

But don’t rush to make the purchases of a belt, pouches and holsters, gun, mags, extensions all right up front. Production or Carry Optics might very well turn out to be where you want to play.

 

You’re about to hit a match up where all of the products you’ve only seen in catalogs will be there to see and feel in person.

 

No one buys a car without test driving it, after all.

Great advice! That’s exactly what I’m doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

Yea this is exactly what I’m doing. I was just wanting some experienced opinions on a good metal framed SA limited gun that isn’t $3k

Get in there with what you have, get your feet wet, experience, learn. 

Then, you won't need our opinion on what SA Limited gun to run as you'll have your own solid opinions on what you want.

Have fun & enjoy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BJB said:

Get in there with what you have, get your feet wet, experience, learn. 

Then, you won't need our opinion on what SA Limited gun to run as you'll have your own solid opinions on what you want.

Have fun & enjoy.

Yea that makes sense. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...