Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 sc and 9mm brass

jstagn

It might not be a fast process but it's surefire...I 'sieve' through (range brass) three stages: 45, 40, and 9's/38's in the last sieve. Then they go into a 100 rnd plastic ammo box designed for 9mm. The long ones and the short ones that aren't 9mm are easily seen and get thrown out for recycling.

The plastic sieve sets used to separate 45, 40 and 9 mm brass can do it.  Use the "40" (blue) sieve.  The 9 mm brass will fall through the slots but the 38 brass will get hung up on the rim and stay in the sieve.  I use it to separate 9mm and .38 Special brass that I clean together.  It's faster than hand sorting even given the obvious length differences.

I use the plastic case that comes with factory 45s box that holds 50 rds.  Get a pair of this.  From your unsorted pile of brass grab a hand full and pour on top of one of the 45 case, most of the brass will fall in each crate hole base in first.  From that the 38s will stick out, the 380 will be shorter, the 40s and 45s are obviously bigger.  Then you can hand pick easily. I use a plier. 

I use the same process when I have sorted this by caliber.  grab a handful pour on the 45 case, then under a light source you can see the good, the bad and ugly brass better.  Then after this get the 45 case pair, line them up together and flip so the upside down brass will now show all the base in the other half of the 45 case. From here you can sort by head stamp.  

This is sorting 50 pcs at a time, better than one at a time.