Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
lstange

Carry Optics is really popular

They tried that. It sucked. Then they allowed 140’s. CO exploded. 
Agreed. The proof is in the numbers. I think they've found the right recipe

I don’t think I would shoot CO if it was 10 rounds. 15 rounds, maybe. 

For me, the fun of CO is that the combination of the dot and capacity means that you can just keep moving through a stage, keeping the gun running the entire time. If you have to reload a few more times you can’t do this as effectively. 

7 minutes ago, DKorn said:

I don’t think I would shoot CO if it was 10 rounds. 15 rounds, maybe. 

For me, the fun of CO is that the combination of the dot and capacity means that you can just keep moving through a stage, keeping the gun running the entire time. If you have to reload a few more times you can’t do this as effectively. 

Yep. I shot Limited for a long time before switching to CO. I like the dot. 

I started in PRD, and switched to CO.  I will switch back to PRD instantly if they raise the capacity to 15 rounds. 

I know tons of people like me.  Most of the gain in CO popularity comes from cannibalizing PRD division.  I know just 1, or maybe 2, brand new USPSA members who joined just to shoot CO.   My observation is that CO and PCC are eating other divisions quickly. 

1 hour ago, Dazhi said:

Most of the gain in CO popularity comes from cannibalizing PRD division.  I know just 1, or maybe 2, brand new USPSA members who joined just to shoot CO.   My observation is that CO and PCC are eating other divisions quickly. 

I'm beginning to see this too, as well as personally trying to resist the temptation (building a CO gun as we speak).

I like Production, but between Limited and what I imagine CO will be, I'm guessing I'll start shooting Prod less and less.

1 hour ago, Dazhi said:

I started in PRD, and switched to CO.  I will switch back to PRD instantly if they raise the capacity to 15 rounds. 

I know tons of people like me.  Most of the gain in CO popularity comes from cannibalizing PRD division.  I know just 1, or maybe 2, brand new USPSA members who joined just to shoot CO.   My observation is that CO and PCC are eating other divisions quickly. 

I guess that begs the question, what is wrong with the other divisions?  Limited seems to be holding just fine, but if production and open are losing numbers, do they need to be changed?  L10, revo, SS are really not in the conversation.  Also, I am not advocating changing any of the current divisions, just making observations and posing questions 

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

I guess that begs the question, what is wrong with the other divisions?  Limited seems to be holding just fine, but if production and open are losing numbers, do they need to be changed?  L10, revo, SS are really not in the conversation.  Also, I am not advocating changing any of the current divisions, just making observations and posing questions 

I'm guessing it's the novelty factor of the new divisions plus more economical entry to optics than full blown Open.

1 hour ago, Dazhi said:

Most of the gain in CO popularity comes from cannibalizing PRD division.

Carry optics attendance grew a lot more than production attendance shrunk.

I don’t  think that Division activity is useful to determine the future success of divisions. The totals seem to indicate that many members are frequently swapping divisions and may be shooting 2-3 different guns in any given month. 

If members could only only pick one division then the overall popularity would likely be different. Activities in SS, L10 and Revolver are decreasing and I think that will continue moving forward.

Personally, I think Open will decline soon. Top competitors will likely switch to factory guns (especially CO) with more sponsorship options, plus the increasing costs of Open will likely drive competitors to CO/PCC.

Im shooting pcc and CO now,  having a blast.  I could see the addition of major scoring in CO at the cost of capacity an interesting dimension. I agree that CO will cannibalize other divisions,  not sure about pcc. Pcc is attracting new shooters and gives a new option to those with reduced eye sight and difficulty with gripping a pistol. 

I have enjoyed CO.  I shot SS for many years and loved it, still do.  But I was getting bored and wanted to shoot a higher capacity division.  During that time was tormenting between Limited and Open, this was when CO was just starting and still had a 10 round capacity.  

After the capacity rule changed, my mind changed.  It was very inexpensive to purchase a red dot and stick on one my production guns.  This made it easy to at least try.  My thought was try CO, and then maybe consider the investment to shoot Open.  

1 hour ago, Butterpuc said:

I have enjoyed CO.  I shot SS for many years and loved it, still do.  But I was getting bored and wanted to shoot a higher capacity division.  During that time was tormenting between Limited and Open, this was when CO was just starting and still had a 10 round capacity.  

After the capacity rule changed, my mind changed.  It was very inexpensive to purchase a red dot and stick on one my production guns.  This made it easy to at least try.  My thought was try CO, and then maybe consider the investment to shoot Open.  

So....CO is a gateway drug that leads to Open...

4 hours ago, Smithcity said:

Not for the near future at least. I’m not shooting enough to justify an investment into Open. 

7 hours ago, Smithcity said:

Was for me.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, lstange said:

Carry optics attendance grew a lot more than production attendance shrunk.

Agreed.

A lot of guys who had long seen the appeal of Open (in every way *except* for the high cost and running a finicky gun) all made the jump as soon as it was a 140mm division.

We came from Limited and Production... and even PCC. A fair number of our novices have slapped a dot on their Glock MOS after a couple of initial matches with irons, as well.

You get polymer striker gun reliability and DIY-gunsmithing in a highspeed division with lots of bullets and a dot. It isn’t hard to understand the appeal.

I’m not jumping to open anytime soon, neither are many of my CO buddies. Simply because of cost, both in dollars and in time spent at the workbench keeping her tuned up. I’ve got 2,000+ rounds on my carry optics Walther without any cleaning - just routine lubrication. Same as a production gun, these things run dirty just fine. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Posted (edited)

I love Production.  But I'm 52 and have been dealing with presbyopia for at least six to seven years now.

I can still shoot irons well, using mostly target focus and occasionally lifting my head slightly to focus on the front sight for a particularly difficult shot.  But I can see a not too distant future when CO will be my permanent home.

I will never shoot Open, and highly doubt I ever will Limited.

Edited by elguapo

I used to shoot Open and switched to a Prod Optics gun in 2014. I would never go back to Open, at almost 5K for an Open gun it’s hard to justify that kind of cost.

I agree on cost factor for myself.  Production gets harder as you get older speed and vision wise.  Limited us appealing due to mag capacity.  Carry Optics seems to bridge both.  See alot of local guys going CK open gun route, some decent used deals in $3k range.  Feeling of Nice 2011 trigger does have an allure.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

You get polymer striker gun reliability and DIY-gunsmithing in a highspeed division with lots of bullets and a dot.

yep, all these things, plus low cost of entry (gun and mags)

I need just "ONE" more rule change to push me over the edge!! 😬

core170.jpg.94dbf2138d35017a681d5b05e0e3ed80.jpg

35 minutes ago, pete627 said:

I need just "ONE" more rule change to push me over the edge!! 😬

core170.jpg.94dbf2138d35017a681d5b05e0e3ed80.jpg

Eh, im happy leaving the 170s to Open.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

About as popular as limited minor.

The popularity of limited minor is affected by it being stuck as the bastard child of .40 

On 4/4/2019 at 4:00 PM, Southpaw said:

That's not a division...

Should be

On 5/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

You get polymer striker gun reliability and DIY-gunsmithing in a highspeed division with lots of bullets and a dot. It isn’t hard to understand the appeal.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, davsco said:

yep, all these things, plus low cost of entry (gun and mags)

Imagine how popular limited minor would be if it was its own competitive division with the even lower cost of entry by not having to add the dot and the slide machining (in many cases).

On 4/3/2019 at 4:52 PM, rowdyb said:

And should uspsa ever change their rules and allow the CZ factory made, optic ready, Shadow 2 OR into uspsa carry optics then it will grow even more so!!

Yeah, screwing up CO the same way they screwed up production would be marketing genius

1 hour ago, Jeff226 said:

Yeah, screwing up CO the same way they screwed up production would be marketing genius

1 hour ago, Jeff226 said:

Shadow 2 is the most popular PRod gun right now. Not allowing a factory made version of it into CO really lessens the potential growth of all those who are CZ shooters. It would definitely increase cross pollination from Prod to CO. How this is a rules screw up is just your judgement.

16 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Shadow 2 is the most popular PRod gun right now. Not allowing a factory made version of it into CO really lessens the potential growth of all those who are CZ shooters. It would definitely increase cross pollination from Prod to CO. How this is a rules screw up is just your judgement.

At least you have the option of reducing the weight and CZ shooters have proven money is no object when it comes to gaming divisions...so I don't really see a big barrier to cross pollinating.