Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Sw 200gr And N310

ipsceric

• 2 weeks later...

Monster,

Would you mind sharing your starting load for your 180's? I just ran out of Titegroup, which I was using 4.8gr with a Zero 180jhp, OAL 1.185" for a 168PF out of my 5" SVI with the schumann barrel.

I was looking to switch to either the VN310 or the VN320 powder for a change of pace, but I'm not sure where to start.

I was thinking somewhere in the area of 4.4gr with an overall length of 1.185"? Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Steven Z

My load is 4.0gr N310 under a 180gr Master Blaster (coated cast) at 1.200". This makes about 169-170PF from a 6" barrel.

When working this up, I went as high as 4.4gr, which gave me pierced primers. I would start around 3.5gr N310 at your shorter length for extra safety. For N320 I would start at 4.6gr or so.

N320 with a jacketed 180 is one of the most popular loads around, and I'm sure you can safetly make major there. N310 with a jacketed 180 is a little iffy, but some folks are doing it. At any rate I feel it's safer than Clays.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll stick with the N320 for now. Looks like 5.0gr with a 180gr Zero JHP and an OAL of 1.185" gets me about 944fps. When I dropped down to 4.9gr my gun shot an average of 912fps. That seems like way too much of a spread for only .1 grain. HHHMMM. Very similar temps those two days, but two totally different chronos. Not an exact science thats for sure.