Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel Secure Firearms?

AxisT23

When you all travel to competitions, classes etc and find yourself in the position to leave our firearms in your car, do you just lock them in our car or do you have additional security such as a travel safe?

For example, I stop after work at range then want to stop at grocery but can't carry range bag around grocery. do you just leave your range bag locked in trunk?

I try to avoid unnecessary stops when I’ll have to leave my car unattended with my gear in it. In my case I tend to use a rolling Husky toolbox instead of a range bag, so I can lock the entire thing and then pull the flap thingy over my trunk so it’s covered and you can’t see that I have it in there. 

When I’ve travelled to matches, I’m most comfortable having the gear (particularly the gun) with me, so I’ll bring it into the hotel discreetly at night and bring it with me to the range, even when I’m ROing and won’t need it that day. 

I shoot only PCC now. 

If I will be away from my truck for a while I run a cable up the mag well and out the ejection port. It’s long enough I can do several guns or go through the handle of the   range bag.  

Its also looped around the seat frame and secured with a decent lock. 

The  cable is strong enough to slow down all but a thief with bolt cutters. 

I became a bit more diligent after two fellow competitors stopped for a bite to eat and lost two open pistols. 

When I travel to a match (pistol, rifle, shotgun; doesn't matter) the match guns come with me to the room and are either put in the room's lockbox (pistols) or the long gun boxes are in Pelicans, padlocked shut, and chained to something solid in the room.

If I have to stop somewhere with guns in the car, they are locked away and hidden from view.  All, that is, except the one I'm wearing.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:07 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I shoot only PCC now. 

If I will be away from my truck for a while I run a cable up the mag well and out the ejection port. It’s long enough I can do several guns or go through the handle of the   range bag.  

Its also looped around the seat frame and secured with a decent lock. 

The  cable is strong enough to slow down all but a thief with bolt cutters. 

I became a bit more diligent after two fellow competitors stopped for a bite to eat and lost two open pistols. 

This is my favorite.  I also make sure to have jackets or something covering anything that might be visible from outside.  I make sure covering has a " thrown on" look.... not a "carefully laid covering something up" look...

• 2 months later...

Long guns in trunk or behind truck seat out of sight. Pistol on my person. 

CC or OC whichever strikes my fancy at the moment. 

Firearms ALWAYS go inside at hotels/motels rather than be left in vehicle. 

Never ever leave in vehicle in hotel parking lot. 

That is #1 way to get them stolen. 

On 4/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, AxisT23 said:

When you all travel to competitions, classes etc and find yourself in the position to leave our firearms in your car, do you just lock them in our car or do you have additional security such as a travel safe?

For example, I stop after work at range then want to stop at grocery but can't carry range bag around grocery. do you just leave your range bag locked in trunk?

If I'm just stopping on errands or whatever I hide the bag with gun and gear under the rear seat and lock the car.  My carry pistol goes from the glovebox (in its holster) to my waist, if it isn't already there.

When stopping for the night, either on the road or at a multi day match, everything comes in with me immediately.  I don't wait or sneak around.