Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Magazine options

gregshin

Is it better to just buy a complete MBX magazine? Or

• Buy MBX tube use different internals? and tune it?
  • Or buy STI tubes use different internals and tune it?
  • I don't mind buying dawson's tuning kit i just want to make the right purchase the first time . 

Buy MBX and use them stock.

STI Gen 2 tubes work just fine as the come from the factory.  Use third party springs, followers and basepads if you want to increase capacity.  You can get to 20 in 40 or 23/24 in 9mm for under $100.  You cannot buy MBX for that.  That being said, I've run MBX for three complete seasons with no modifications or failures.  They get dropped a lot, and so far no adjustments have been needed.

The Gen 2 tubes are so new I don't know how they will hold up.  I bought three just to try.  I'll use them for Classifiers with a mandatory mag change, or when I have to drop a mag in mud or dust.  Otherwise, I use the MBX.

You don't need Dawson's tuning kit.  You can buy the spreader on Amazon for $13.  Look at the Atlas videos for dimensions.  Also, The tuning kit was for Gen 1 mags.  I'm not sure it will work with Gen 2.

4 hours ago, beta1759 said:

I have the STI Gen2 magazines (5 of them) with TTI internals. I have had zero issues with them. They all hold 21 rds of 40sw and are loadable.

How are you getting 21 in there. I which followers and springs?  Only getting 20 max in the Gen 2 that came with my Atlas. 

I followed TTI's instructions and ordered an Ultra-thin follower, 11 coil spring and 4G2 base pad.  That is supposed to get you 21 in 40 and 24 in 9mm.  We'll see. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I followed TTI's instructions and ordered an Ultra-thin follower, 11 coil spring and 4G2 base pad.  That is supposed to get you 21 in 40 and 24 in 9mm.  We'll see. 

I have this set up for 40 and I can get 21 reloadable. You’ll just want to make sure your slide stop is deactivated as mine wasn’t and it locked the slide back with 1-2 rounds left. 

I get 21 in my sti gen 2s with tti 4g2 basepads and either Tarans ultra thin follower, which leaves plenty of room to spare after the 21st round so you can easily lock it in the gun. But the feed lip dimensions on the 40 mags are so wide that I had issues wirh the follower popping out. So I bought a TTI regular universal follower and still get 21 and can still lock it in the gun for starts to start with 22rds. I can get 21 wirh grams guts but can’t lock it in the gun. The TTI regular follower is just a tiny bit thinner then grams allowing for 21rds. 

I cant get 21 wirh my mbx 140s btw. But theye great mags. But none of my sti 40 mags needed any tuning with the body or feedlips. They’ve been 100% flawless. I’d stick with them for 40 Over mbx just cause they’re cheaper. For 9 the mbx are nice. As are the sti but mine needed some tweaking. Pretty easy to do though. 

1 hour ago, PharmDShooter said:

I have this set up for 40 and I can get 21 reloadable. You’ll just want to make sure your slide stop is deactivated as mine wasn’t and it locked the slide back with 1-2 rounds left. 

With the 7g2 and the ultra thin for 9mm mags I could get 26rds. Most of my 9mm have grams but I think when these get weak I’m gonna switch to all TTI internals. As long as they are as reliable as grams which they seem to be. 

1 hour ago, Jfitz427 said:

I get 21 in my sti gen 2s with tti 4g2 basepads and either Tarans ultra thin follower, which leaves plenty of room to spare after the 21st round so you can easily lock it in the gun. But the feed lip dimensions on the 40 mags are so wide that I had issues wirh the follower popping out. So I bought a TTI regular universal follower and still get 21 and can still lock it in the gun for starts to start with 22rds. I can get 21 wirh grams guts but can’t lock it in the gun. The TTI regular follower is just a tiny bit thinner then grams allowing for 21rds. 

I cant get 21 wirh my mbx 140s btw. But theye great mags. But none of my sti 40 mags needed any tuning with the body or feedlips. They’ve been 100% flawless. I’d stick with them for 40 Over mbx just cause they’re cheaper. For 9 the mbx are nice. As are the sti but mine needed some tweaking. Pretty easy to do though. 

This. I have 2 MBX’s and 2 STI gen 2’s with TTI basepads and grams guts/followers. I can get 21 in one of the STI’s.. 20 in the other. They run like a champ. Unfortunately I didn’t get any STI magazines on sale, so the ended up costing about the same as my MBX’s.

One thing I will say, is with TTI a basepads, the magazines are a lot easier and faster to tear apart and clean at matches. (And in general). I learned that the hard way this weekend at the Ozarks classic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread.  I am looking to replace my current set of "match mags" and am looking at MBX.

I have a set of 2nd GEN STI tube mags that have been tuned -  but there's some 'stuff' going on. I have noticed there seems to be 2 different models, or perhaps a mid-life upgrade to the original Gen 2?

The early Gen2 tubes I picked up simply have the STI Logo and "40 S&W" stamped on the front of the mag.  Newer tubes have the STI logo and 10 / 40 stamped on the front. It also looks as though the 'flat' surface just under the opening of the front has been elongated. I do notice that cartridges tend to 'stack' better on the "10 / 40" body, than the "40 S&W" body.   The 10 / 40 do not gap at the feed lip like the "40 S&W" bodies.  

I would probably need a slew of pictures to illustrate all of that clearly.

282362863c5fe34c931312305245d34d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...