Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell For Para-14

LakeshoreShooter

Hi,

I just got a great deal on a Para P-14 Limited. It came with 4, 14 round mags with Gram's Engineering 2+Base pads already installed. Only thing though...The pistol is without a Magwell. I hear the DP is fine...but doesn't seat properly all the time. I'll be moving up from production(still plan on shooting my G-35 though from time-to-time), just need a little advise on Magwells for my new Para.

Thanks,

Paul

EGW makes a really nice one. I use an S&A. You need to cut the bottom of the frame on a slight angle to make it fit, measure 4x, cut once and file or polish off the last little bit for a good fit. nervewracking, but a good DIY project if you are handy at all.

Jim Norman

I have tried different magwells on my Paras and all 3 now have S&A Magwells. All the basepads I have tried (Grams, Dawson, Arrendondo, CPI, factory Para) fit without having to modify them to clear the magwell.

I use my P18-9mm in IDPA for ESP class. To make the 43 oz weight limit, I used the aluminum S&A magwell. My P14 for Limited/L10 and my Major 9 Open Para both have the steel magwell.

The S&A isn't the biggest funnel but you don't have to risk ruining basepads by grinding or thinning them to fit.

One thing about most magwells for the Para (S&A included) is that they are too wide for the IDPA box. My S&A magwell had to be thinned a few thousanths on the exterior sides of the well to make the width restriction. It didn't affect the magwell and isn't even noticable.

I think that the magwell has to be made of aluminum to make the new weight limits; 41 ounces in CDP and 43 ounces in ESP with an empty mag inserted. My P-16-40 barely makes weight with the partial (one quarter) S&A magwell and would not make weight with the full surround S&A magwell.

I think that the magwell has to be made of aluminum to make the new weight limits; 41 ounces in CDP and 43 ounces in ESP with an empty mag inserted. My P-16-40 barely makes weight with the partial (one quarter) S&A magwell and would not make weight with the full surround S&A magwell.

My P18-9mm makes the 43 oz limit with the full aluminum S&A. No room to spare but it makes it. This is with ambi safeties, FLGR, and adjustable rear sight. The full steel S&A weighs slightly over 2 oz more than the aluminum one. I have weighed both.

The 9mm Para is heavier than the comparable 40 or 45 models because of the heavier barrel (smaller bore=more steel)

Another thing- when and if you have to weigh your gun and empty mag, use a factory 10 rd Para mag. The bottom half of the mag is plastic and lighter than the full steel tube. Mine makes weight with a regular 18 rd Para mag but the 10rd will shave more weight if necessary.

As for the CDP weight at 41 oz, I didn't bother trying to make the weight with my P14-45. I probably could have but I have a Springfield single stack I can use for CDP that makes weight so I didn't bother.

LakeshoreShooter-

My Grams pads hold 18 in my P14 mags. Tight but they work great. Again, with the S&A Magwell, no trimming is necessary on the basepads. With the Grams, that is a good thing because they will crack if you start thinning material off of them to make them clear other magwells.

• 3 weeks later...
dremil,dremil, best little tool made, take a little off the inside of a dawson magwell, and anything will fit, OK I went kinda deep on mine but the grams pads fit now too. :)

I'm thinking of doing this as well. I've already got the DP magwell (not realizing that even stock floorplates wouldn't fit once on the gun). I really don't like grinding off the floorplates from a strength perspective. I really don't like the idea of only using modded mags either.

How bout a little more advice?

What are the downsides of taking off too much? Did you get a step between the mw and the frame?

Are mag insertions still smooth?

How did you decide where and how much to remove?

Did you do this on the gun? or Did you take it off the gun for work and install to check fit? Or did you figure what an inserted mag would look like off the gun, work AND fit off the gun, then install?

Any bit that works well on the aluminum?

Any pics of your work you could post or email to me?

Sorry with all the questions?