Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
elguapo

Don't be That Guy

Recommended Posts

On 6/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, Zincwarrior said:

I wish I'd get advice. I'm such a hack I don't even know enough what to ask. 👨‍🌾

 

It isn't about what you ask.  It's about the response some new shooters give to the person giving them advice.

 

The appropriate response is "thanks, I'll try that" (even if you never do). 

 

The wrong response is "but I like my way better because....." or "my way is what works for me".  Those sorts of answers will guarantee that you will never get any help, at least from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guess your threads are not allowed to grow and expand from your original post's topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

guess your threads are not allowed to grow and expand from your original post's topic

 

Perhaps start your own?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:56 PM, elguapo said:

 

It isn't about what you ask.  It's about the response some new shooters give to the person giving them advice.

 

The appropriate response is "thanks, I'll try that" (even if you never do). 

 

The wrong response is "but I like my way better because....." or "my way is what works for me".  Those sorts of answers will guarantee that you will never get any help, at least from me.

Why do you seem to have such a big "Bug Up The Butt" on this? Almost half the posts here are yours, including responding to your own posts. Why are you so convinced that you have God's Gift to teach new shooters, and then get irked when they don't seem to relish your advice?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GOF said:

Why do you seem to have such a big "Bug Up The Butt" on this? Almost half the posts here are yours, including responding to your own posts. Why are you so convinced that you have God's Gift to teach new shooters, and then get irked when they don't seem to relish your advice?

 

 

Is there a like button somewhere ?
Lesson dont offer unsolicited advice or be prepared to get butthurt when some one tells you what you  can do with it.
Some one asks advice ? sure give it,, if they dont listen its on them , why worry ?
FYI seems to be a lot of blowhards hanging around gun shops and ranges.  Eventually those of us that are self confident get tired of their antics and quickly tell them where to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Is there a like button somewhere ?
Lesson dont offer unsolicited advice or be prepared to get butthurt when some one tells you what you  can do with it.
Some one asks advice ? sure give it,, if they dont listen its on them , why worry ?
FYI seems to be a lot of blowhards hanging around gun shops and ranges.  Eventually those of us that are self confident get tired of their antics and quickly tell them where to go.

Yes... many blowhards. I've certainly seen them in the decade+ that I've been ROing IDPA and Steel Challenge matches, as well as a few years working behind the counter at a local gun shop..

If you wish to make friends, and not be the "Squad Skunk"... don't walk up to a new shooter after they have painfully worked their way through the COF and then loudly announce " Ya know where ya screwed up there? I'll tell ya!"

If a new shooter asks for your advice it is possibly because (A) they have seen you shoot well, and/or (B) you have established a friendly conversational relationship with them. They might be willing to listen, and try your advice. But, they have to want to receive it, and be amendable to it. That is largely dependent upon the demeanor of the shooter offering that advice. 

If you just shove it onto them, then "You Are That Guy"🤣

Don't Be That Guy. The sport will be better for it

 

Edited by GOF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GOF said:

Why do you seem to have such a big "Bug Up The Butt" on this? Almost half the posts here are yours, including responding to your own posts. Why are you so convinced that you have God's Gift to teach new shooters, and then get irked when they don't seem to relish your advice?

 

 

The only thing I'm convinced of is that you don't understand my original post, the one that started this thread.

 

But I'll help you because I'm a nice guy.

 

Strike up conversation with new shooter.

New shooter comments he could use all the help he could get

Advice on grip and mag changes follows

New shooter replies with arguments as to why he likes doing what he does with his grip and magazine changes

Advice from me dries up to zero

 

Do you now understand?

 

Just in case you still don't, it's like this

1. I don't give unsolicited advice.  Ever.

2. If asked for advice I might give it.

3. When I do give it, I don't appreciate the person asking arguing with what he's told

4. When #3 happens, I ignore that person from then on.

Edited by elguapo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 6:09 AM, elguapo said:

Don't be the new guy who has a dumb, thumbs down grip and changes mags like gramps did in WW2 then has 10 reasons why doing it his way is "better for him" when given friendly advice to improve.

 

You will soon find out all friendly advice vaporizing to nothing and will wonder why you don't seem to advance as fast as you thought you should.

 

30 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The only thing I'm convinced of is that you don't understand my original post, the one that started this thread.

 

But I'll help you because I'm a nice guy.

 

Strike up conversation with new shooter.

New shooter comments he could use all the help he could get

Advice on grip and mag changes follows

New shooter replies with arguments as to why he likes doing what he does with his grip and magazine changes

Advice from me dries up to zero

 

Do you now understand?

 

Just in case you still don't, it's like this

1. I don't give unsolicited advice.  Ever.

2. If asked for advice I might give it.

3. When I do give it, I don't appreciate the person asking arguing with what he's told

4. When #3 happens, I ignore that person from then on.

 

 

Umm, your OP doesn't mention the newb asking for your GM level advice. Maybe that is why some people misread it, well i guess they didn't actually misread it.......

Edited by RJH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

someone is becoming that other kind of guy no one wants to deal with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

someone is becoming that other kind of guy no one wants to deal with. 

Kinda seems that way.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, broadside72 said:

someone is becoming that other kind of guy no one wants to deal with. 

 

What happens when That Guy (novice) interacts with That Guy (veteran) ?

 

A post is born on Enos.

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 7:30 AM, theblacklabel18 said:

 


Our local group is more of a “tough love” kind of help. If you f@ck up or do something dumb, someone better than you will tell you that you did, straight up. Surprisingly no one has thrown a hissy fit over it yet that I know of, even with all of the sensitivity out there.

The new shooters learn quickly to watch the better guys/gals (the ones I’m still chasing in the standings), and get an idea on what to do and why to do it that way, and it works out for everyone in the end.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Us too...if you screw up you can hear the whole squad snickering behind you haha! We are all in good fun tho...We do help new shooters a ton, loan equipment etc. Ive even shot the first stage at a match, thought it was too hard to coach a new shooter and worry about shooting my own match so i bowed out and coached him the rest of the match. 

 

I ask new shooters if they want constructive criticism...if they do I'll offer advice. I have yet to hear someone say no. But also with new shooters i offer 1 or 2 things to work on and thats it. I dont barrage them with the 20 things they could work on. Its sensory overload and they'll fail to work on any one thing you suggested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone new to competitions I have to assume everyone gets instantly humbled like I did. The local guys have been super helpful in teaching the sport and giving useful tips. The only time it isn’t welcome is the guy who chases you around while you pick up your mags and tries to tell you everything you could have done better. To that guy I want your advice but give me 30 seconds to collect my mags and thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am old, beat up, and set in my ways. 

 

And that said.... I will try ANYTHING (almost) once if there is a chance it might help me with a task or technique... or better myself. 

 

Being stubborn is almost as bad as being. “Know it all”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 10:36 AM, jacksimonton said:

I am a newbie here and also confused that what should I ask?

Whatever you want.  Most folks will be glad to help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:36 AM, jacksimonton said:

I am a newbie here and also confused that what should I ask?

What are you struggling with? Accuracy? Reloads? Speed? Stage planning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...