Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM case feed problem on 650

g56

I needed to make up some new 9mm loads with a slightly higher powder charge so they would function properly. Last week I loaded 100 9mm loads on my 650 and it ran flawlessly, finding I still needed to make another change to the powder charge I came back this week and all of a sudden my case feeder isn't working right. It drops the case into the green plastic sleeve, but it doesn't drop the case through the aluminum feeder tube. One week it worked fine and the next week it wouldn't, all I changed was to go to a 115 gr bullet from a 124 gr bullet, which has nothing to do with case feeding. Getting up where I could look down through the hole with the handle all the way down I could see a small lip on one side, so it appears all I need to to is move that arm a tiny bit more. I read all the 650 tips and alignment was mentioned, they said to be sure everything lined up, but never said anything about how to adjust the throw, just to make sure you had that cam is turned the right way for pistol cartridges, and it is turned the right way.  How can I adjust this for just a little bit more throw so it will drop the cases? I can push on the little arm with my finger and it will drop the case, but having to reach up and do that for every case gets tiring.

Reloading for 51 years

Reloading on a Dillon 550 since 1985

Reloading on a Dillon 650 since 2015

Edited by g56

The hex bolt on the side of the case slider block’s angled piece goes into an oblong hole so you can loosen it and slide it in until it works correctly. Make sure the bolt is tight as if it loosened up it would slide back, not throwing the linkage enough to fully drop it through down to the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, theblacklabel18 said:

The hex bolt on the side of the case slider block’s angled piece goes into an oblong hole so you can loosen it and slide it in until it works correctly. Make sure the bolt is tight as if it loosened up it would slide back, not throwing the linkage enough to fully drop it through down to the plate.

THIS^^^^^ It just happened to me. 

Do NOT overtighten that bolt!! It's just in a cheap helicoil and will strip right out. Just loosen it and slide a little forward towards the shell plate and test. 

Edited by Sarge

2 minutes ago, theblacklabel18 said:

Good info. I always used finger tight with the short side of the hex key

Yeah, you want it to move instead of break if something dumb happens like two cases getting on the ramp. 

I saw the hex you referenced, I had no idea that it was adjustable, I'll check that out tomorrow and hopefully that should take care of the problem. Thanks so much!

I happened to get a replacement case slide assembly from Dillon last week for my 650, and they replaced the helicoil with a threaded brass nut, and put a “P” & “R” on the cam.

7 hours ago, OPENB said:

I happened to get a replacement case slide assembly from Dillon last week for my 650, and they replaced the helicoil with a threaded brass nut, and put a “P” & “R” on the cam.

That’s good to know

It took a couple of days, but I just went to the shop and adjusted it, loaded 100 just to check function, worked perfectly, thanks again!!

Note: Objections such as "the grass isn't growing that's just weeds", doesn't work as an excuse to keep from having to mow...😧