Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Silver_Surfer

Just when you thought you heard/seen it all

Posted (edited)

Yesterday a shooter in another squad had a squib. Like performing a reload he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a squib-rod and inserted it into his barrel to clear his obstruction. Not sure when he was given the command to stop?

No, he normally does not have squibs.

Edited by Silver_Surfer

27 minutes ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Oh Yeah!

Just for trivia’s sake, what rule is as used for DQ?

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

10.5.20 or 5.7.2.1

I’d probably cite 10.5.20 because I prefer to cite the actual DQ section for consistency’s sake. 

The image of someone trying to clear a squib, under time, without knowledge that putting your hand in front of the muzzle is a no-no, has made my day. I hope lessons were at least learned in that moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Didn't ask. We were just wondering what had happen? When asking a shooter in his squad. "He's going to church" He said he's going to church"😁

Subscribed. I guessed sweeping too but is it not sweeping using a squib rod after "stop" as well? If possible, I've seen someone take the slide off so it's no longer a "gun" but what about a revo?

39 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Subscribed. I guessed sweeping too but is it not sweeping using a squib rod after "stop" as well? If possible, I've seen someone take the slide off so it's no longer a "gun" but what about a revo?

Dont even have to DQ for sweeping anymore, since “Attempting to clear a squib during a course of fire” is now a DQ under 10.5.20. I believe this was a change with the 2019 rules. 

I would say the best practice after the range is clear is to go to the safe area (unless the RO designated another location specifically), and disassemble the gun if possible so that the squib rod can be inserted without sweeping anyone. That said, the sweeping rule is 10.5.5, which specifically refers to sweeping someone during the course of fire, so clearing it shouldn’t be a DQ as long as it’s done in a safe manner. 

2 minutes ago, DKorn said:

Dont even have to DQ for sweeping anymore, since “Attempting to clear a squib during a course of fire” is now a DQ under 10.5.20. I believe this was a change with the 2019 rules. 

I would say the best practice after the range is clear is to go to the safe area (unless the RO designated another location specifically), and disassemble the gun if possible so that the squib rod can be inserted without sweeping anyone. That said, the sweeping rule is 10.5.5, which specifically refers to sweeping someone during the course of fire, so clearing it shouldn’t be a DQ as long as it’s done in a safe manner. 

Ah, found it. Missed the last "0" on your reference. Thanks for the clarification.

LOL Iwondered how many would realize there is as a new rule prohibiting clearing a squib on the clock. 10.5.20

2 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Yesterday a shooter in another squad had a squid.

well crap, at least it wasn't an octopus.

don't they make u-shaped (or L) squib rods so you don't muzzle yourself?

well crap, at least it wasn't an octopus.

I sense a new niche market coming into play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, davsco said:

They do. That was my first thought when I read the shooter was DQ’d. Didn’t realize there’s actually a rule regarding that now. 

1 hour ago, DKorn said:

What we normally do!

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

LOL Iwondered how many would realize there is as a new rule prohibiting clearing a squib on the clock. 10.5.20

LOL,found it pg65 (See 5.7.2.1)

On 4/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, Sarge said:

Didn't realize this, thanks. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004617853/arredondo-squib-rod-multi-tool-nylon-black

Before the new rule it was possible to insert an offset squib rod like the one Midway sells above without sweeping your fingers. You'd then slam it into a wall or some other structure to (hopefully) dislodge the bullet.

Never saw it done, but I've heard stories...

The fact that he had a squib rod in his back pocket makes me wonder....

11 hours ago, LuvDog said:

The fact that he had a squib rod in his back pocket makes me wonder....

That caught my attention too, that seems a little odd...