Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just when you thought you heard/seen it all

Silver_Surfer

Yesterday a shooter in another squad had a squib. Like performing a reload he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a squib-rod and inserted it into his barrel to clear his obstruction. Not sure when he was given the command to stop?

No, he normally does not have squibs.

Edited by Silver_Surfer

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Just for trivia’s sake, what rule is as used for DQ?

10.5.20 or 5.7.2.1

I’d probably cite 10.5.20 because I prefer to cite the actual DQ section for consistency’s sake. 

Subscribed. I guessed sweeping too but is it not sweeping using a squib rod after "stop" as well? If possible, I've seen someone take the slide off so it's no longer a "gun" but what about a revo?

39 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Subscribed. I guessed sweeping too but is it not sweeping using a squib rod after "stop" as well? If possible, I've seen someone take the slide off so it's no longer a "gun" but what about a revo?

Dont even have to DQ for sweeping anymore, since “Attempting to clear a squib during a course of fire” is now a DQ under 10.5.20. I believe this was a change with the 2019 rules. 

I would say the best practice after the range is clear is to go to the safe area (unless the RO designated another location specifically), and disassemble the gun if possible so that the squib rod can be inserted without sweeping anyone. That said, the sweeping rule is 10.5.5, which specifically refers to sweeping someone during the course of fire, so clearing it shouldn’t be a DQ as long as it’s done in a safe manner. 

2 minutes ago, DKorn said:

Dont even have to DQ for sweeping anymore, since “Attempting to clear a squib during a course of fire” is now a DQ under 10.5.20. I believe this was a change with the 2019 rules. 

I would say the best practice after the range is clear is to go to the safe area (unless the RO designated another location specifically), and disassemble the gun if possible so that the squib rod can be inserted without sweeping anyone. That said, the sweeping rule is 10.5.5, which specifically refers to sweeping someone during the course of fire, so clearing it shouldn’t be a DQ as long as it’s done in a safe manner. 

Ah, found it. Missed the last "0" on your reference. Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Yesterday a shooter in another squad had a squid.

well crap, at least it wasn't an octopus.

don't they make u-shaped (or L) squib rods so you don't muzzle yourself?

29 minutes ago, davsco said:

don't they make u-shaped (or L) squib rods so you don't muzzle yourself?

They do. That was my first thought when I read the shooter was DQ’d. Didn’t realize there’s actually a rule regarding that now. 

1 hour ago, DKorn said:

What we normally do!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004617853/arredondo-squib-rod-multi-tool-nylon-black

Before the new rule it was possible to insert an offset squib rod like the one Midway sells above without sweeping your fingers. You'd then slam it into a wall or some other structure to (hopefully) dislodge the bullet.

Never saw it done, but I've heard stories...

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized there’s a new rule on this too! I stopped a shooter a couple of weeks ago for a squib. Right after I stopped him he unloaded and showed a clear chamber but then was going to field strip his gun. I stopped him before he could and told him to head to the safe table after hammer down/holster.

But...this made me think...at what point does the new rule apply? When you remove the slide or actually pull the squib rod out of your back pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

I just realized there’s a new rule on this too! I stopped a shooter a couple of weeks ago for a squib. Right after I stopped him he unloaded and showed a clear chamber but then was going to field strip his gun. I stopped him before he could and told him to head to the safe table after hammer down/holster.

But...this made me think...at what point does the new rule apply? When you remove the slide or actually pull the squib rod out of your back pocket?

The rule applies when there is a squib? Once you stopped him and cleared him the COF is over. Just have him holster and take it to safe table.

The rule applies when there is a squib? Once you stopped him and cleared him the COF is over. Just have him holster and take it to safe table.

Ah! So if I did not stop him because I didn’t pick up on it and he starts to pull his slide off during the COF then the rule would apply?

3 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

Ah! So if I did not stop him because I didn’t pick up on it and he starts to pull his slide off during the COF then the rule would apply?

Hmm that’s a good question . My first thought would be STOP as soon as I realized what he was about to. He may be under the impression he can’t leave the stage with a loaded gun so he simply wants the slide off? 

Hmm that’s a good question . My first thought would be STOP as soon as I realized what he was about to. He may be under the impression he can’t leave the stage with a loaded gun so he simply wants the slide off? 

That was my reaction and I think the best option. A few extra steps need to happen between squib and rod going down barrel. You’d have to be a d-bag RO to count attempting to remove the slide as attempting to clear a squib. Even though it technically is since it’s step 1 in the process