Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3n38/lovex Major pistol

jstagn

I love Major Pistol.  Super clean, meters like water and is very compressible, if needed.  Super accurate with .355" 115gr HAPs.  I have 12 lbs. of 3N38 that I am trying to sell locally.  38SC guys love it because they can fit as much in the case as they want without spilling.  It's too much of a hassle for me, because the case is so full.  Plus it does not compress well.  For 9mm major I'm sticking with MP.

I just wonder how long it takes Major Pistol to disappear like SP2. In terms of pounds of powder sold, open shooters, who this powder is clearly marketed to, are statistically insignificant. If you fall in love with it, lay it in deep. 

I don't think it will be discontinued anytime soon.  As soon as everybody gets some in it disappears.  Open shooters, of which there are many, may be statistically insignificant, but they use amazing amounts of powder.  My Limited major load used 3.7gr of powder.  My Open minor load uses 9.1gr and major uses 10.4gr.    I have about 4 lbs. left from the original 10, and just received 16 more.  That 20 lbs. will barely get me through the season.  So while there are not  as many Open shooters as Production and Limited, we buy and use more powder than they do.

I hear you. Just seen too many powders come & go. SP2, Prima V, Solo 1000. If they are loved so much, why are they no longer available? Because in the grand scheme, we don’t impact the powder companies bottom line enough to keep them. SP2 was the last perfect open powder. I sincerely hope Major Pistol sticks around until I use up some AA7 & WAC. 

Im not talking about open shooters per se, but competition shooters in general. Open powders are such a niche market it’s surprising any of them are marketed to us. 

Edited by OPENB

Solo 1000 was taken off the market simply because the manufacturer could not consistently make the canister grade that was Solo 1000.  So many lots were rejected, they just quit.  It is now back on the market from a new manufacturer, after trying several others.  I'm told inconsistency is the reason Prima V disappeared.   Can't speak to SP2.

Consider this.  3N38 has been around for a while.  It is expensive, but it is always sold out.  Why?  The 38SC crowd loves it, and the 9mm crowd just follows along because SVI said so.  Then they are essentially limited to 124gr pills due to case capacity.  IMO, anyone shooting 3N38 in 9mm major is just loony when Major Pistol is so much better at half the cost.  Plus, you can compress it if necessary and the rounds do not grow.  It will catch on as more and more people learn of the benefits.  I think it will be around for a long time, maybe even at the expense of 3N38.

Just now, zzt said:

Solo 1000 was taken off the market simply because the manufacturer could not consistently make the canister grade that was Solo 1000.  So many lots were rejected, they just quit.  It is now back on the market from a new manufacturer, after trying several others.  I'm told inconsistency is the reason Prima V disappeared.   Can't speak to SP2.

Consider this.  3N38 has been around for a while.  It is expensive, but it is always sold out.  Why?  The 38SC crowd loves it, and the 9mm crowd just follows along because SVI said so.  Then they are essentially limited to 124gr pills due to case capacity.  IMO, anyone shooting 3N38 in 9mm major is just loony when Major Pistol is so much better at half the cost.  Plus, you can compress it if necessary and the rounds do not grow.  It will catch on as more and more people learn of the benefits.  I think it will be around for a long time, maybe even at the expense of 3N38.

How does aa7 compare in compressability? I am considering switching from AA7 if I can load compressed without rounds growing.

I don't know how well AA7 compresses.  I've never used it.  I do know that Major Pistol compresses very well.  A fellow poster asked how much you could compress it, so I did a test.  10.2gr MP fills a 9mm case to 1/8" below the rim.  I seated a 115gr HAP to 1.126" and did not crimp.  The round did not grow.  Two months later it still hasn't grown.  So I'm confident that people who have to load short will have no problems with this powder.  I load 115 HAPs over 10.4gr MP at 1.161"  and I don't think it compresses the powder at all.  If it does, it is minutely.

I 'm just starting testing 124s. 9.4gr MP with a 124 at 1.161" fits just fine.  I'll chrono this week.  Try a pound or so.  You'll like it.

It does spill some, but not as much as other powders.  Spillage with 9.1gr for minor is quite minimal.  At 10.4gr for major there is more, but not enough that it bothers me or screws thing up.  I load on a LnL.  A Dillon may be different.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, B_RAD said:

Y'all don't have issues with slinging powder all over the press?

I still get some spillage, but it's mostly when the 650 brings the case up to the MBF after the powder drop.  There's a slight click, and sometimes it's enough to sprinkle a few flakes on the shell plate.  I did put a pipe cleaner in between the powder drop and the MBF (stage 2&3 for me) to help keep the case tight in the shell plate and that alleviated a majority of the spillage I was seeing from normal indexing.  I just think with the case that full  you're bound to get some powder mess.  After loading a K, I just wipe down and blow off the press.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, zzt said:

I don't know how well AA7 compresses.  I've never used it.  I do know that Major Pistol compresses very well.  A fellow poster asked how much you could compress it, so I did a test.  10.2gr MP fills a 9mm case to 1/8" below the rim.  I seated a 115gr HAP to 1.126" and did not crimp.  The round did not grow.  Two months later it still hasn't grown.  So I'm confident that people who have to load short will have no problems with this powder.  I load 115 HAPs over 10.4gr MP at 1.161"  and I don't think it compresses the powder at all.  If it does, it is minutely.

I 'm just starting testing 124s. 9.4gr MP with a 124 at 1.161" fits just fine.  I'll chrono this week.  Try a pound or so.  You'll like it.

I tried MP yesterday for the first time. 9mm mixed brass, 9.5gr using 124gr PD at 1.160"

HI=1366

Low=1328

AVG=1350

ES=38

SD=12

The gun is full size with 3 barrel holes.

This powder seems very close to AA7 in that it is very fine, fills the case about the same as well. I ended up going up a few tenths to get to 171PF.

Edited by SWprotected

My chrono results were as follows:

Mixed HS brass, CCI 500, Major Pistol powder, Everglades Ammo 124 JHP.  5.4" barrel, Aircooled6racer's comp, no poppels.

9.1gr = 169.7PF

9.3gr= 172.9PF

9.4gr= 174.9PF

I like the 115s better.