Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a 40 S&W load

GrumpyOne

I've got some new people wanting to shoot, never shot anything other than a 22. I don't want to run them away using major loads, and would actually prefer sub minor. They'll be shot out of a revo, so no worries about enough power to work the slide. I need a load, sub minor if possible, using VV N320 and 140gr Truncated Cone lead. Again, this IS NOT for a USPSA match, so power factor doesn't matter.

So, what have you got?

My minor .40 load is a 180 gr Zero JHP with 3.5 gr of tight group at 1.135" and 180 gr Hi-Tek coated with 3.2 Tightgroup at 1.135. They have a power factor of 135 and the JHP's shoot a 1" 5 shot group at 25 yds out of my Brazo's .40.

Is that the Bayou 140 coated Truncated Cone bullet?  I used 3.6 claydot for 900 or 3.8 Titegroup for 860 with decent results in SC.  Went as low as 2.8 Claydot for 700 (wouldn't function with a 9# RS) or 3.2 Titegroup for 660 (no notes on function but bet I dropped it for that reason).  The heavier loads functioned good and were 2 to 3 inches at 25 yds.  Used them in a Level II SC match with no issues.  All COL 1.15 to  1.16.  Maybe this will help on the guess works.

Just watch in a Revolver sometimes unburned powder can get under the star or keep moon clips from seating completely and at worst too light can allow a primer to back out and slow down the action.  Probably any PF over 125 (900 f/s)  will feel really light without causing issues.

Edited by pskys2

They are Space Coast truncated cone bare lead 140's. I loaded up some with 3.8 of N320, seem pretty soft to me out of that heavy 610. My Production load is 3.5 of N320 with a 147 out of a Shadow, so these will feel about the same. 

u need something that takes up alot of room in case,, and doesnt get nasty when burned at low pressure. I dont think 320 is up to the task,,,  Trail boss or Clays, seems to be better.
Honestly though if they are that bashful they cant handle typical 40 minor loads I say just stick with a 22, . I mean jeesh I have seen 10yo's blasting away and having fun with a glock 19 and factory 9"s

Edited by Joe4d

Grumpy, I think 320 will be too slow for wimpy loads.

Here is one load I created that was super soft.  3.3gr Alliant e3 under a 135gr Rainier plated for 109PF.    It actually shot clean.  The only way you knew it fired was an extra hole in the target.  PF should be around 112 with your 140.