Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
CheekyChung

What’s your reloading technique and time?

Recommended Posts

At first I dropped my gun somewhere between chest and stomach and real close and tight. Not sure why; no one taught me this nor do I remember seeing anyone do this. 

As I shot USPSA more and more, I don’t drop it as much, but enough to see what’s ahead of me as I run for the next spot. 

 

Note* this video was after installing new basepads and I wanted to test them out, not necessarily a speed drill. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvdDPdxDOGO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7zufnjzvlh1p

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a magwell (Production), I’m working on dropping the gun a little lower and bringing it in a little closer, and also trying to better match the angle the mag is coming up at so that I don’t have to bend my wrists. This is based on the advice of several people on the forum after they watched my match video. 

 

Since i’m in the middle of changing techniques, I’m not sure what my par time is yet since I’m more worried about breaking my old habits at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Looked smooth, and plenty fast, to this old guy.

 

^^^   Ditto    ^^^^

 

If that's repeatable, on command, I can't imagine I'd even try

to change your technique.   That was GREAT    :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smooth and repeatable are what I strive for when it comes to draws and reloads. I don't get real hung up on trying to hit the .8 or .7 reloads except occasionally during dryfire. I just want to be very efficient. Yours look plenty good. You didn't appear to be pushing, which tells me you likely are able to hit reloads like that routinely, which is exactly what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are doing that consistently, than it's time to start putting yourself in some uncomfortable positions and practice those.  Except for classifiers, you will almost never be reloading at a standstill.  That's your next step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I am actually a little bit faster with my old technique of bringing it in and dropping the gun lower, but it'd slow down the whole shooting process by taking more time getting sights on target.😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, CheekyChung said:

At first I dropped my gun somewhere between chest and stomach and real close and tight. Not sure why; no one taught me this nor do I remember seeing anyone do this. 

As I shot USPSA more and more, I don’t drop it as much, but enough to see what’s ahead of me as I run for the next spot. 

 

Note* this video was after installing new basepads and I wanted to test them out, not necessarily a speed drill. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvdDPdxDOGO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7zufnjzvlh1p

 

How effective is your grip on the gun after you complete a reload that fast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! You can tell I just got my first press and intro to "reloading". When I saw the thread title I was thinking "About 4:30-5:00 for 100 rounds" on my Dillon 650. Pretty happy with that actually.

 

As for the other reloading.... I was a bit lower, but recently took a Max Michel class he had me keep it up more at the level of the sternum. This seems a bit more consistent, but I am not fast. 1.20 is about it even though I'm working at it a lot. (Prod with a G34 btw) Two years in and on the cusp of "A".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 3:34 PM, elguapo said:

 

How effective is your grip on the gun after you complete a reload that fast?

I don’t have to regrip after shooting, but I’d say I have a solid grip. I have a video somewhere on my Instagram with 1-reload-1 with the time posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, Slalom45 said:

Ha! You can tell I just got my first press and intro to "reloading". When I saw the thread title I was thinking "About 4:30-5:00 for 100 rounds" on my Dillon 650. Pretty happy with that actually.

 

As for the other reloading.... I was a bit lower, but recently took a Max Michel class he had me keep it up more at the level of the sternum. This seems a bit more consistent, but I am not fast. 1.20 is about it even though I'm working at it a lot. (Prod with a G34 btw) Two years in and on the cusp of "A".

 

I’ve been taught techniques that are for sure better and faster than what I do, but with my skill set and learned behavior this is the best way for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CheekyChung said:

 I have a video somewhere on my Instagram with 1-reload-1 with the time posted. 

 

Live fire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...