Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s your reloading technique and time?

CheekyChung

At first I dropped my gun somewhere between chest and stomach and real close and tight. Not sure why; no one taught me this nor do I remember seeing anyone do this. 

As I shot USPSA more and more, I don’t drop it as much, but enough to see what’s ahead of me as I run for the next spot. 

Note* this video was after installing new basepads and I wanted to test them out, not necessarily a speed drill. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvdDPdxDOGO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7zufnjzvlh1p

Without a magwell (Production), I’m working on dropping the gun a little lower and bringing it in a little closer, and also trying to better match the angle the mag is coming up at so that I don’t have to bend my wrists. This is based on the advice of several people on the forum after they watched my match video. 

Since i’m in the middle of changing techniques, I’m not sure what my par time is yet since I’m more worried about breaking my old habits at this point. 

Smooth and repeatable are what I strive for when it comes to draws and reloads. I don't get real hung up on trying to hit the .8 or .7 reloads except occasionally during dryfire. I just want to be very efficient. Yours look plenty good. You didn't appear to be pushing, which tells me you likely are able to hit reloads like that routinely, which is exactly what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I am actually a little bit faster with my old technique of bringing it in and dropping the gun lower, but it'd slow down the whole shooting process by taking more time getting sights on target.😂

On 3/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, CheekyChung said:

At first I dropped my gun somewhere between chest and stomach and real close and tight. Not sure why; no one taught me this nor do I remember seeing anyone do this. 

As I shot USPSA more and more, I don’t drop it as much, but enough to see what’s ahead of me as I run for the next spot. 

Note* this video was after installing new basepads and I wanted to test them out, not necessarily a speed drill. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvdDPdxDOGO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7zufnjzvlh1p

How effective is your grip on the gun after you complete a reload that fast?

Ha! You can tell I just got my first press and intro to "reloading". When I saw the thread title I was thinking "About 4:30-5:00 for 100 rounds" on my Dillon 650. Pretty happy with that actually.

As for the other reloading.... I was a bit lower, but recently took a Max Michel class he had me keep it up more at the level of the sternum. This seems a bit more consistent, but I am not fast. 1.20 is about it even though I'm working at it a lot. (Prod with a G34 btw) Two years in and on the cusp of "A".

On 4/14/2019 at 3:34 PM, elguapo said:

How effective is your grip on the gun after you complete a reload that fast?

I don’t have to regrip after shooting, but I’d say I have a solid grip. I have a video somewhere on my Instagram with 1-reload-1 with the time posted. 

On 4/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, Slalom45 said:

Ha! You can tell I just got my first press and intro to "reloading". When I saw the thread title I was thinking "About 4:30-5:00 for 100 rounds" on my Dillon 650. Pretty happy with that actually.

As for the other reloading.... I was a bit lower, but recently took a Max Michel class he had me keep it up more at the level of the sternum. This seems a bit more consistent, but I am not fast. 1.20 is about it even though I'm working at it a lot. (Prod with a G34 btw) Two years in and on the cusp of "A".

I’ve been taught techniques that are for sure better and faster than what I do, but with my skill set and learned behavior this is the best way for me. 

• 8 months later...

if you can, pick up some range brass in the same calibre that you want to reload and practice on that first. Clean it and experiment with your full length resizing die so you get to understand how to measure and bump back the shoulder, this might take some time before you get it right. Goes without saying - do this without inserting live primers, leave that for later when you can resize your brass properly. You will need a caliper (I suggest digital) and comparators that screw on to the caliper blade eg Hornady, Sinclair with inserts to measure shoulder bump and later, bullet seating depth. Search this site using key words, you will find all the info here eg "seating depth"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 5:37 PM, rowdyb said:

If I do 1.30 second reloads on el pres live fire, cold I'm happy.

I know a number of GMs who have about the same time in matches.

My normal practice was in the 1.5 -1.7 range.  An occasional <1.5. 

Matches >1.8+ if it is a standing reload.