Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring Spreadsheets?

mattmd1

Hi all - does anyone have a good spreadsheet for scoring competitions? I figured a good one must exist but haven't found it yet. I just started shooting competitions (USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge and multigun) in August and want to start compiling results for everything in one place where I can sort by match type, hits / scores, mikes, time, procedurals, etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

19 minutes ago, mattmd1 said:

Hi all - does anyone have a good spreadsheet for scoring competitions? I figured a good one must exist but haven't found it yet. I just started shooting competitions (USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge and multigun) in August and want to start compiling results for everything in one place where I can sort by match type, hits / scores, mikes, time, procedurals, etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

Are you looking for something to actually record and tally scores at matches or to track your own scores over time?

I'm curious how you thinking of sorting HF-scored matches with something like steel challenge, IDPA or 3Gun?

Like what you trying to see and what are you thinking of getting out of that?

I don't see cross-match performance tracking there and in most shooting sports hit factors and times are all relative (either to the winners or to highest bar set for classifiers). Pretty much all in that article (and quite more) you can see in the PractiScore Competitor app for any given match.

But I'm interested in ideas for cross-match performance tracking...

I don’t see cross-match tracking as necessarily that useful, although it could be occasionally worth it to look for trends. 

The problem is that stages are different every time, so your scores may change simply because the stages were different. Looking at placement doesn’t work either, because that’s all relative to who else shows up and how well they shoot.

Honestly I think the most helpful thing to have could be a “match diary”, where you record your overall impressions of how you shot, what went well, and what you see as opportunities for improvement. If you notice the same areas mentioned multiple times over a few matches, that can give you an idea of what to focus on in practice. If you read “With Winning in Mind”, there’s a chapter on how to keep a performance log that pretty much covers this for any sport. 

Edited by DKorn

1 hour ago, euxx said:

I don't see cross-match performance tracking there and in most shooting sports hit factors and times are all relative (either to the winners or to highest bar set for classifiers). Pretty much all in that article (and quite more) you can see in the PractiScore Competitor app for any given match.

But I'm interested in ideas for cross-match performance tracking...

This is the best answer. Love the app

Thanks everyone - I have hardly used the competitor app, mostly just the practiscore.com data. I will look at it more.

I appreciate the ideas and have started a range diary / basic spreadsheet for now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk