Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popper screwed and penalty a question

a matt

39 minutes ago, Talon75 said:

How do you not get a failure to activate when the moving target/ no shoot was not activated??? 9.9.3 is (as I understand) direction on how to score the paper, not a release from a failure to activate. While my case is very weak as it is not explicit in the rule book, why would there even be a failure to activate, which I've seen on every scoring tablet I have handled? 

There is no such thing as a "direction on how to score the paper". The rules are the rules regardless of the method used to record the scores in a match and there is no rule assessing a procedural for "failure to activate". As for you seeing "failure to activate" as a procedural on every tablet you have handled, I have a dummy match on my iPhone and it is not listed under the procedurals there (and the procedurals that are listed all have the appropriate rule number).

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, racerba said:

no...

9.9.3 Moving scoring targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism which initiates the target movement before the last shot is fired in a course of fire.

9.9.3 only states that the FTSA penalty will be incurred on the moving target if the activator was shot last.  prior to the last shot means that the last shot may be shot at the moving target even though it's a miss.  therefore will not receive the FTSA penalty.  You can still use the last shot to activate the target, but you will get the FTSA penalty on the moving target.

9.9.3: Moving scoring targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism which initiates the target movement before the last shot is fired in a course of fire. This includes noshoot targets that must be activated when in front of scoring targets to expose them. Penalties are based on number of shots required for the moving scoring target or the scoring target(s) behind the no-shoot.

It says nothing about the mover being the last target. It is intended to stop the practice of shooting the target but not activating it until after your last shot by stepping on the plate or pulling the rope, etc essentially off the clock.  Yes you still get the FTSA if you don't shoot at the mover after activating, that is a given, but that is not what I was talking about and why I mentioned both 9.9.3 and  2.1.8.5 in reference to "failure to activate is not a procedural penalty..." comment

3 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

9.9.3: Moving scoring targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism which initiates the target movement before the last shot is fired in a course of fire. This includes noshoot targets that must be activated when in front of scoring targets to expose them. Penalties are based on number of shots required for the moving scoring target or the scoring target(s) behind the no-shoot.

It says nothing about the mover being the last target. It is intended to stop the practice of shooting the target but not activating it until after your last shot by stepping on the plate or pulling the rope, etc essentially off the clock.  Yes you still get the FTSA if you don't shoot at the mover after activating, that is a given, but that is not what I was talking about and why I mentioned both 9.9.3 and  2.1.8.5 in reference to "failure to activate is not a procedural penalty..." comment

failure to activate is still NOT a penalty...you will get a penalty for FTSA on the moving target if you shoot the activator last...

5 minutes ago, racerba said:

failure to activate is still NOT a penalty...you will get a penalty for FTSA on the moving target if you shoot the activator last...

You are correct in that you get the FTSA applied, but only because there is no procedural for failure to activate by name. I believe we are talking the same thing, but semantics are the issue. I don't see it as an actual FTSA, the rules just have it applied as such (if you have engaged it prior to activation)

So I looked at the rule listed on practiscore for for failure to activate it is 9.9.4- so the rule would only apply to level 1 matches where WSB states activation must happen before engaging the moving target. I concede I was wrong for this instance .